Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. First post here! I recently bought a lovely top-spec R-Line. It was the dealer's Demo car, so it had 10k miles on it, but I was able to get a good deal because of this. Anyway, after I got used to the car, I noticed that there is actually a quite prominent whining noise related to speed (not RPM) somewhere between 12mph and 40mph. Even if I put it in N, the noise doesn't stop. It doesn't change while cornering too. I've made a short clip.

[media]
[/media]

It sounds like there's an electric motor under the bonnet. You can hear it especially well at the end of the clip while decelerating.

I have searched YouTube for other videos, and indeed I can hear the same noise on some clips (though mine is quite louder), but not on others. Definitely only on DSG cars, never on manual.
Do you have the same whining? Should I be worried? I took it to the dealer about that and they were a bit puzzled, but said it's probably due to the winter tires. I'm not a fan of this explanation, it sounds like a mechanical whine to me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi again, we have the 1.0 115 ps DSG R-Line, so pretty much the same car, but brand new. Just completed around 2k miles, but no ours does not have that speed related whine that I can hear in your video. Misses (who's car it is) has even commented that you can barely hear the engine at that kind of speed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Let's see what others will say. I am switching to summer tires next week, so this doesn't stop, I am going back to the dealer. It sounds a lot like a bad differential to me. It can also be clearly heard in this random video from 1:15 to 1:30
[media]
[/media]

I wasn't able to hear it in any of the Polo or T-Cross manual videos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi I also have one liter dsg and has only done just over 100km and I also have a whine only at low speed like coasting to a stop but im not to worried about it.I cant here it at high speed at all maybe after lockdown I might ask dealer but I dont think its and issue at all. I actually thought it might be tyre noise and hoping will get better after some millage but at moment can only do short drives.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've also got the noise but I've never thought it was an issue. I quite like it as it sounds like the car is electric. I thought it was related to the 3 cylinder engine with not having had one before. Thinking about it. It could be related to tyres as has been suggested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure it's not the engine because it's completely independent of RPM. I am sure that it will continue even if you turn off the engine, but I don't think the keyless system will allow this. Interestingly, the trend continues - some cars have this noise, and some don't. It could really be related to tires, but in my humble 18 years of driving experience, I've never heard a single tire to sound like this. We'll see after the tire swap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
G'day Jacket, how did you go with the noise in your car? Was it the tyres?
Over many years I have had some brands create a noise, some the more they wear.
I was thinking that the T Cross comes with different brands of tyres and wheel sizes for different folks, 16, 17, and 18, and also different road surfaces in different countries as well. So maybe not too much agreement on the cause of the noise. My problem has always been fixed with changing tyres.
Cheers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's definitely not coming from the tyres. Switched from winter to summer and nothing changed. To me it's a mechanical noise coming somewhere from the drivetrain. Sometimes it bothers me, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's louder when the car is cold. I am planning to take the car for a service, because the clunking frontend on potholes is driving me crazy more than this, and I will raise the question about the whining again. I can definitely hear it on other YouTube vids, but only on this specific T-Cross DSG. Can't hear it on Polos, T-Rocs or Skodas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there. I bought my T Cross back in February and although it doesn't get much use I have noticed a whine whilst slowing down. It's a 1.0 SE manual with 4.5k. I thought it may be tyres, turbo, brakes, any toothed belt??? Toothed supercharger belts used to make a similar noise or sounds like the timing chain whine you used to hear on older cars on overrun. It's noticeable but not intrusive.
As the dealer couldn't be arsed to send out the connection cable he promised me I don't think he will show much interest in this unless it develops noticeably.

·
Registered
412 Posts
After my 2nd post in I may be eating my words!

Problem started over the last few weeks, with a sound while slowing down to a stop as if you haven't dipped the clutch on a manual.

Yesterday after long motorway run around 150 miles whilst slowing down off slip road I had the same noise coming to a stop. Then on pulling away there was a crunch, and the dash gave a warning sound and a red car symbol (digital dash so filled the middle space).

By then I was already moving forward onto the roundabout and as I continued it all cleared.

Since then, I've noticed a definite, consistent crunching noise whilst changing down to 3rd and especially 2nd, and the gearbox has developed a whiney sound on occasions (misses actually said it sounds like an electric train speeding up and slowing down).

Up until now it's been whisper quiet. Upper gears not an issue, and it was fine driving back on the motorway.

Will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
interesting post
my car has developed more of a whistle which gets more pronounced on acceleration .someone suggested its coming from air vents but ive closed them and its still there ,it does sound like an electric motor of sorts ,i have no idea what it is ,car has done 665 miles .ill keep an eye on it and if it deteriorates will go to dealer

·
Registered
80 Posts
I noticed it again today a whistle which gets more pronounced on acceleration.. really strange . A trip to the dealers methinks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dealer said the whining is due to the turbo and its normal... I'm to keep an eye on it in case volume increase I guess ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone. I live in South Africa. My year old Tcross has the exact same noise. I drove earlier this week with the radio muted and suddenly heard the whistle noise. Its more apparent at lower revs. From what I was told apparently its the turbo and its normal. Another unusual noise is the transmission whine from the DSG which is more noticeable especially when coasting down a hill when decellerating. Apparently it too is 'normal' though such noise is usually expected from a 1980's motor vehicle. A noise that I do find ultimately annoying is the cracking sound I hear from the left a-pillar tweeter speaker which only disappears when the car warms up from a colder morning. Dealer couldn't hear it when I took it for repairs. Anyone experiencing the same?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's my development on this story. Dealership found this is a fault with the gearbox and it was changed under warranty. There's no more whining! For reference the car is at 18k miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wasn't expecting it too, though I was sure it's a mechanical problem with the gearbox or differential. It could be a different thing for you or the other in this topic. Watch my first video with a high volume. If your sound is different, then it could be a different problem too.
In my case it was totally unaffected by winter/summer tyres, engine RPM, selected gear (even neutral) or cornering. It was always only related to speed and acceleration/deceleration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts