Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

There has been this weird noise from my car which started about 3 months ago. Appears at anywhere below 3000 ish rpm with about 50% throttle input. It’s fairly audible at lower speeds, if the surroundings are reasonably quiet as well, but not so much at higher speeds (above 50 mph). I have posted the link for a youtube video. I have taken the car to the dealer 3 times now and every time, they were said they couldn’t hear it. I have changed fuel from E10 unleaded to E5 Super unleaded as well, but no difference. Any help on this, as to what it could be, would be helpful.
- best watched with headphones to better hear the noise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think the best idea would be to take your dealer, or mechanic, out for a test drive with you driving so that you could demonstrate and point out the noise..
Hi,
Yes I’ve tried that 2 times, took them out for a test drive but due to the road noise and wind noise etc, they were unable to hear it. I will try to take it to another dealer to see if they can hear it. Well, the second time, the mechanic said he heard a bit of it but they said come back if it gets worse. It hasn’t gotten worse but it hasn’t disappeared either.

Also, this car will be replaced by a Tiguan R-Line TDI 150 I have on order as we needed a bigger car anyway. I’m just a bit worried if this affects the part exchange.

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Ok, listened to the video but didn't spot anything. Can you give the timecodes you hear it, and what is it, a pop click crunch bump whistle whine?

Oh, just thought, misses pointed out a noise on my XC40, after hard acceleration just as I back off a noise like a car beside toots. Turns out it's the turbo wastegate opening. Would that be the sound?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, listened to the video but didn't spot anything. Can you give the timecodes you hear it, and what is it, a pop click crunch bump whistle whine?

Oh, just thought, misses pointed out a noise on my XC40, after hard acceleration just as I back off a noise like a car beside toots. Turns out it's the turbo wastegate opening. Would that be the sound?
Hi,

Did you listen to it with headphones on? I have given the time stamps in the description.
00:00 First Occurrence 00:55 Second Occurrence 01:27 Third Occurrence
It’s when accelerating (not light acceleration) that this noise appears. It’s like a metallic rattle. I don’t know how else to describe it 😅. The third occurrence i think is the most audible out of the three. Not sure if it’s similar to the XC40 noise.

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Sorry the time stamps numbers weren't showing only the text first instance, second instance, etc. And no even with headphones I can't detect what you're describing.

No different noise from what you say, mine's a very faint, very short, single peep.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry the time stamps numbers weren't showing only the text first instance, second instance, etc. And no even with headphones I can't detect what you're describing.

No different noise from what you say, mine's a very faint, very short, single peep.
Ahh fair enough, it’s the same with the dealer as well, will have to try if another dealer can hear it. This noise started after 3500 miles or so and I know the 1.5 TSI didn’t sound like that before, it must be that I’m able to hear it better because I have driven the car for so long but for someone who hasn’t, it probably sounds normal. Thanks a lot! Makes me feel better that dealers were not lying haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts