Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I've had my car (1.5 tsi evo R-Line) from June and currently done about 3000 miles. Recently, I've noticed vibrations coming from the engine when accelerating and the turbo kicks in. They appear over 2k rpm under a higher load and don't if I'm accelerating gently without the turbo kicking in. The vibrations could be described as metallic clunking noises or sounds similar to an engine knock (I am not sure if it is actually engine knock). I've only started noticing the past couple of weeks. Also not sure if it is because of the new E10 petrol :( . I'm trying to find answers and would be helpful if you guys can let me know your thoughts. I will try switching to a super unleaded E5 petrol and see if that changes anything after my current tank is near empty, but not sure if that's gonna work.

Thank you!

·
Registered
88 Posts
An engine knock or pinging is a loud rattling noise when the engine is under load and will occur at certain RPM. If it is engine knock then you risk long term damage to the engine if you persist in driving it. It has the potential to burn a piston or cause cracking . Don't wait to run your E10 tank out, fill up with premium fuel without an E designation ASAP. This is the time to call your VW dealership if a fuel change doesn't help. Cheers-John. PS. I won't go near fuel that includes ethanol no matter what door placards say.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey AussieJohn, thank you for letting me know the probable complications of an engine knock. Unfortunately, at the moment, due to the fuel crisis in the UK, it is very hard to find an E5 super unleaded, let alone ethanol free ones. I've had a search and it is only ESSO stations that do an ethanol free super unleaded in the UK. So I will have to try my best to get that, if not I will have to try E5 super unleaded from Shell or Tesco. I will contact my dealer if the problem persists after a change of fuel.

Again, thanks a lot for your advice John! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update, I had half a tank of E10 and topped it up with Shell E5 Super Unleaded and had a drive flack home of about 7 min. I don't seem to notice any knocking atm but will have to check on a longer journey. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.