Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

Thought I'd share my tale of woe.....last Sunday I was driving home and the EPC light came on the dash with a warning that the stop/start system was disabled. It also seemed a little down on power, but other than that was fine. Got home and on Monday booked it into the local dealer to get checked - the earliest they could fit me in was this coming Monday.

After a bit of research, I discovered the EPC light could could be a variety of things, so wasn't overly concerned. As a precaution I decided not to drive it until I took it in. Fired her up a couple of days later to make sure I still had the fault, but was greeted by an almighty clatter as the engine started. This quickly settled down, but the engine was now lumpy at tickover. The fault indications remained. At this point I contacted the dealer to get their take on whether I should get it recovered, and they said that was at my discretion. I was still in two minds about that, and decided to restart her again yesterday - clatter was quieter but now the check engine light was on.

Recovery it was then(!) - contacted VW assistance who arranged for an engineer to come and check it over. He plugged her in and told me cam sensors were indicating timing issues and I had a misfire. He said it was possible the cam pulley bolts may not have been torqued properly, and the timing was now off - this wasn't the well known cam sensor issue that plagued the early T-cross variants. He confirmed it should be recovered not driven, and now I'm concerned about serious engine damage for obvious reasons (valves don't react well to pistons bashing into them!). What's interesting is he immediately thought of the cam pulley bolts without actually taking the engine apart - this smells of a known manufacturing fault on the TSI 1.0 :cry:.

A man from the AA picked it up today to take it in, and mentioned that he 'does a lot of these 1.0 TSI engines....mostly Audis'. Good grief. I had a Passat diesel for 6 years that never missed a beat but now I'd probably not buy another VW.

Gutted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - car back running normally after 3 days at the dealer.

They replaced a cam control valve (which showed an internal fault, and I think has something to do with the oil supply to the top of the engine - if anyone knows better, please enlighten me), and the fuel pump, which had a 'production related deviation'. Maybe a production fault with the fuel pump.

So far so good - I'll give her a longer drive at the weekend. Thankfully nothing to do with the cam pulley BUT lack of oil to the top of the engine is a worry. Time will tell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks - final update on this one....spoke to the VW service manager today (he was checking where the hire car had gone back to). I chinned him about the repair and it turns out it was ALL related to the high pressure fuel pump, valve included. Not a common fault according to him - they've repaired a couple of other cars with the same issue, but that's it.

Feeling relieved that it was nothing to do with oil/timing, and I learned my car has 2 fuel pumps - a low pressure pump to slurp the fuel from the tank and high pressure to squirt it into the injectors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.