Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my new T-Cross in March and was particularly keen to utilise the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) for longer journeys. The ACC initially worked very well, however recently has functioned less well!

I first encountered a problem in July when driving along the outside lane of a dual carriageway, with a speed limit of 70 MPH and the ACC switched set to 70 MPH. The Dynamic Road Sign Display indicated '110' rather than'70'. As I was overtaking slower vehicles travelling in the Inside lane, the car braked automatically, and the 'Inside Overtaking Prevention System' display showed in the instrument cluster display. I overrode this by depressing the accelerator. The ACC then accelerated the car back to the set 70MPH and continued normally in the outside lane until overtaking the next slower moving vehicle in the inside lane when the same scenario repeated itself.

This was dangerous as there was no reason for me to be braking during an overtaking manoeuvre and could have caused a rear-end shunt accident.

The car appeared as if it had temporarily changed from Right Hand Drive in the UK to Left Hand Drive with MPH converted to KM/H where overtaking in the outside lane was interpreted as 'Inside Overtaking'.

Once the ACC was cancelled and then resumed, the Dynamic Road Sign Display indicated 70MPH rather than '110', and the ACC allowed overtaking in the outside lane again without any warning displays. I hadn't had any problems until recently, so hoped it was 'just a blip'.

However, then in September, driving from Essex to Devon the same scenario occurred intermittently where overtaking was prevented in the outside lane of the A303 by the ACC braking the car, and the 70 MPH signs were displayed as '110', and the 60MPH signs were displayed as '90'.
This was then intermittently repeated on return journey, plus on the M25 'SOS Emergency Call Function - please visit workshop' warning illuminated in instrument cluster, the green light in the Roof console went out, and the Navigation system starting malfunctioning and lost its position on the A13, so the Navigation system was unable to navigate home. Once home the car was restarted, and warning symbols disappeared the green light in roof console re-illuminated.

I called the local dealer to have these problems investigated but unfortunately could not be booked in until the end of October (so am still waiting), however they stated, 'your vehicle is due for an OCU update recall'. I'm not sure whether this would have any bearing on the problems encountered?

Then this week driving on urban roads with 30MPH speed limit the Dynamic Road Sign Display showed '45' intermittently before returning to '30'.

It's disappointing to encounter these problems as I am generally impressed by the car and enjoy driving it. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts regarding these problems, or how they can be resolved?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This was a fault on the current touareg but I managed to get a software update which cured most of the problems and was the same for tiguan! Not seen any problems on the tcross yet! Nag your dealer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info rjo. My current Softwear version under settings on the Infotainment system states: 0270.

If I press 'Update' the screen just appears blank?

Hopefully the dealer will be aware of similar problems with other VW models which sound like they can be resolved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies and information. I'm hoping that getting these issues resolved will be straight forward for the dealer to rectify when the car is booked in later this month.

I assume from Tricky2's post that the software upgrade to from 0270 to 0278 would be compatible with the T-Cross as for the Tiguan 2? Does this mean that other T-Cross using software 0270 need to be upgraded?

I have had a message previously saying that 'software update available' however when I press 'Update' on the 'Software' area of the Infotainment screen nothing happens, so assume this upgrade would need to be done by the dealer?

Had additional problem yesterday when the Navigation system remained on its usual initial 'Navigation Starting' display for the whole journey home, so unable to use the Navigation System. When checked again after returning home the display returned to normal!

I had initial concerns when using the Navigation System from new as when trying to search for a hotel in East Sussex it wasn't able to find it, but was suggesting various addresses in Europe, and even included a route to Siberia - seemed like a long route so gave it a miss . . . . I wonder what with the road sign displays intermittently in KM/H rather than MPH, trying to stop me 'Inside overtaking' when actually 'Outside' overtaking, and suggesting European addresses rather than UK addresses it may be easier to move to Germany where I think my T-Cross thinks it belongs . . . . help! It feels like there should be a setting for Right Hand Drive or Left Hand Drive (which I believe the Mk 8 Golf has), but doesn't seem to be on the T-Cross settings. . . .

·
Registered
413 Posts
The software in question is the MIB3 media/nav head, so yes it's the same across many ranges, Polo, Golf, Passat, T-Roc/Cross/tiguan. Mine and all vehicles prior to mid 2020 have the MIB2 so are not affected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, many thanks Tricky2 - you sound very well informed.

It sounds like the dealer should be familiar with this software issue if it affects many of the 2021 VW models using the MIB3 media/nav head - will keep you posted after the visit to the dealer scheduled at the end of the month.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just collected my T-Cross from the Dealer (they changed the original date to this week) who needed the car for 2 days.

I printed the details that Tricky2 had supplied regarding the software upgrade from 0270 to 0278 to give to the Dealer prior to delivering the car and explained what I had been able to find out via the forum (see previous posts).

Today, when collecting my car, I asked if the software had been upgraded from 0270 to 0278 was told today that the ‘recommended VW software updates’, including the OCU recall had been updated and that the faults were now resolved. I was advised that if the same faults occur again to bring the car back (& VW would need to be consulted if ‘hardware’ upgrades were required).

When in the car, I checked the software information under ‘Settings’ on the infotainment system and it still showed software version 0270.

I don’t know enough about the technical side to know whether what has been done will resolve the problems, especially as they are intermittent.

Thanks for those who have contributed – I will keep you posted . . . .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my first long trip this week since the dealer had my car for 2 days to rectify the faults detailed in my initial post.

I was disappointed that the dealer had not upgraded the software from 0270 to 0278 (as Tricky2 had suggested was required to fix the fault) as I provided all the information that had been posted by knowledgeable members on the forum. However I was assured when I collected the car that 'the appropriate updates recommended by VW had been performed in order to resolve the problems', and I didn't feel I had the expertise to disagree with them.

I was particularly disappointed to find the same problems occuring on my recent trip, with the Dynamic Road Sign Display temporarily switching from MPH to KM/H (see image) and the 'Inside overtaking prevention system' activated when I was overtaking, slowing the car down inappropriately during overtaking with the ACC engaged.

Gps navigation device Map Line Font Audio equipment

I'm not sure whether to contact the dealer again, or to complain to VW directly.

Any thoughts on the most effective way to proceed would be appreciated.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, complain to VW make it clear you know full well it requires this software upgrade, and get them to instruct the dealership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks to rjo, Tricky2, and Halin9 who have provided information and advice regarding this problem.

Here we go again! I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since my last post 2 months ago I wrote to VW Customer Services to complain that the faults had not been rectified during the visit to the workshop. I have since had many phone conversations with them.

The dealer is familiar with this fault on other VW models but not yet on the T-Cross. The dealer said that the suggested software upgrade from 0270 to 0278 for the 2021 MIB3 Media/Nav head (which I understand has rectified the same fault affecting other VW Models, e.g., Tiguan) has not been authorised for use on the T-Cross, so cannot be performed.

The car went back to the workshop for diagnostics after Christmas, but the same fault persisted.

The dealer filed a report with the VW Technical Team. I have been told that the Technical Team responded and are aware of this fault, but there is currently no software fix for the T-Cross available to rectify it, and they are working to develop one. No timescale for a fix is available.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That really is quite ridiculous...A known fault, which also occurs, and has been solved on other models, must surely be a relatively easy update..! Keep pressing VW, even contact the Head Office..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts