Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ACC recognizes a car ahead and starts reducing the speed in order to keep safe distance..... rear break lights activate?
I almost rear ended the other day!
I delayed hitting the brakes thinking the acc will do the job for me and due to a crash ahead finally I should do emergency breaking.
These 2 seconds I lost thinking acc will do the hard braking for me reduced the distance with the car in front and the car behind avoided hitting me by some 5 cm.
Perhaps I haven't done the distance setting in acc correctly but when there is emergency braking in front my thought is that I am acting earlier than acc!
Human vs Machine :roll:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same experience, I'm getting close to the car in front , (in slow moving traffic ) nothing happens then seemingly at the last second I get a warning telling me to brake.. I have a Tiguan with what I presume to be the same system , l set the desired gap and on approach to the vehicle in front it will always brake and come to a halt for me, I have no faith in the T Cross to do this although it will reduce the speed for me on the open road, I need to actually test it but so far my wife has refused to stand in front of it...
Will study the manual and seek advice from the dealer when it's due it's first service,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, ACC activates the rear brakes too.

Used it with no problem. Are you sure you activated ACC? Because the default is just the cruise control, you need to select ACC in the menu(only the first time, after that it will be kept as default). You can also change the distance between you and the car in front, but even at the minimum it's quite ok

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
First time I tried it out was super scary. I'd seen it slow down when approaching cars ahead, but as we came to the end of the carriageway, downhill to a roundabout it was all I could do to keep my foot off the brake. Eerie feeling the car braking strongly down to a stop behind the car in front. I was expecting to have to take over the brake as the manual instructed, but the car ahead moved off inside the allotted few seconds, so mine accelerated away and maintained the distance around the roundabout and off again.

I did have one instance as mentioned in post 1, but in stinking heavy rain on the motorway, where it had been keeping distance, but then suddenly stopped doing it. After taking over I then got the sensor not available warning.

I'm assuming my rear brake lights apply with ACC heavy braking as I didn't get flashing from irate drivers behind. When we're all allowed out I might do a test with the misses following to confirm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a similar experience in crawling traffic in motorway in my automatic dsg.

Had been nicely following the cars ahead at very low speed, keeping distance, and then I had must have inadvertently braked myself which disengaged acc. So car started to creep along and speed up autos do. I thought it was acc starting me off again but as I hadn't pressed resume the tcross didn't slow when car ahead did, until the emergency brake kicked in at last second. Thankfully whole thing was around 5mph!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.