Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my T-cross today and unfortunately I spent 45 minutes for the official VW dealership to set up my S10 with Android Auto. It was always the same error 'unable to connect to S10' . They had no clue and were blaming the mobile. We tried two android phones and nothing seemed to work. We were then waiting for the after sales manager to come and try himself. However I decided to try on my own, restarted the phone, and the vehicle and fortunately it is now sorted. My question however ? Will this occur again ? should I expect issues ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Firstly, congrats on the pick up!

Regarding Android Auto, sometimes it is a little slow to connect, but I don't that would be tripping you up here. What caused me a bit of grief was on my model of Android phone plugging in a USB cable always brings up a little pop up asking me what I want to do with the connection "Transfer Files " etc. choosing ANYTHING here other then the "cancel" option would cause connection failures to the infotainment unit. Even better, just ignoring it works as well. We you perhaps doing something similar, watching the phone screen and choosing options that popped up?

The process that works for me no without fail is to connect the phone, place it in the dash cubby hole and ignore anything that comes up on the screen, then go to "Apps" and select the Android Auto button.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks for your reply. ACtually we were doing a wireless connection. The dealership did not even have a type c cable available !!...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ah yes... you swanky people with your 2021 versions..... :) I only have USB A cable connection in my T-Cross.

·
Registered
127 Posts
theMalteseGuy said:
THanks for your reply. ACtually we were doing a wireless connection. The dealership did not even have a type c cable available !!...
I may be wrong (I've got an iPhone) but I was under the impression that Android Auto had to use a wired connection to connect to the Infotainment unit ? Certainly the current brochure on the VW web site clearly states that Android Auto requires a USB-C cable connection (you should have received one of these free with the car - if not ask the dealer to supply one)

That may be the issue, but I'm no expert on Android devices

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually the 2021 t-cross can be set up wirelessly. For example whilst trying to set this up the dealer representative also did a software update to the infotainment system. Not sure how this worked out (i.e if he used my mobile data through the bluetooth connection).

·
Registered
127 Posts
No problem, glad to hear. It was just someone replied to me in one of my previous posts that Android phones had to have a wired connection and the brochure seemed to confirm that. Certainly my 21 MY T-Cross has worked straightforward wirelessly with the iPhone. Like you I've done a software update on the head unit over the air - I think it actually uses the e-SIM in the head unit rather than the data allowance on the mobile to which it is connected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone. I had the same problem with my previous Samsung S10 not connecting to Android auto with the cable and if it did connect, the GPS failed to work properly. Problem was the cable. Using a generic type c cable of any make, made android auto a pain to use. However, when I reverted back to the original Samsung cable, all worked just fine. This problem was also experienced with the Opel Astra intellilink system. Now I only use generic cables to charge the phone and not for Android auto...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.