Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a SEL running on standard 205/55 R17 rims who specified a factory Option Spare Wheel ?

If so, I would be extremely interested in the size of the tyre fitted to the Spare Wheel ?

My SEL Spare Wheel has a 16" rim with a 205/55 R16 tyre on it, which will give a reduced rolling circumference if ever I need to fit it, and I just wondered if this was normal ??

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi...My SEL is on the upgraded 18 inch wheels and the factory supplied spare, is, as you say, 205/55/16..!.. If I'm unfortunate enough to have a puncture, I would be inclined to put the spare on the rear and keep two 18 ,s on the front.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Halin9 said:
Hi...My SEL is on the upgraded 18 inch wheels and the factory supplied spare, is, as you say, 205/55/16..!.. If I'm unfortunate enough to have a puncture, I would be inclined to put the spare on the rear and keep two 18 ,s on the front.
I don't think you will have to bother putting the spare on the rear if you have a puncture in the front..

I think you will find that even though the 16" wheel is smaller, that due to the higher profile of the tyre that the diameter is almost exactly the same !!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
But compared to the standard 205/55 17" fitted to the SEL the spare is 3.9% smaller rolling circumference.

·
Registered
203 Posts
rarrar said:
But compared to the standard 205/55 17" fitted to the SEL the spare is 3.9% smaller rolling circumference.
Yes, but that's what VW supply, as I believe do Audi and Seat so they should know what they are doing!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Jonblue I brought the 16 inch rim a 205/55/16 tyre Perilli P7 same tyre as on the RLine.I have all the tools and the insert to sit them in from my VW agent £234:00, it's half the price if you factory order it £115.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for useful info Topcat! Two questions: My car is also an ex demonstrator from VW dealer so would I have to order ex Factory via them -- what did you do? And secondly did all the tools come with the wheel/tyre or did you have to buy them separately and cost? I am assuming looking at another thread this would fit as I have a Subwoofer fitted next to wheel sump area.

T Cross R line DSG 115 Makena Turquoise
Electric Folding Wing Mirrors,Reversing Camera, Beats Sounds system, Active Info., Keyless

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Jonblue this was what they ordered the lot was £234 with VAT . Others on this site have the same in there boot and with the Beats speaker and amp. Hope this helps. Yes to your last question all order after delivery as ex demo like yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Topcat said:
Hi Jonblue I brought the 16 inch rim a 205/55/16 tyre Perilli P7 same tyre as on the RLine.I have all the tools and the insert to sit them in from my VW agent £234:00, it's half the price if you factory order it £115.
Hi Topcat,

How are you getting on with the running boards are they useful or do they get in the way when you're getting out of the car?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rarrar said:
Yes, I appreciate that, that is the reason for my original post..

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

I was wondering if it is close enough, or has there been a mistake with my factory fitted spare wheel ?

Hence my question, "What size tyre have other SEL owners been given as a factory fitted spare ?"..

A 205/60 R16 has a much closer rolling circumference to the 205/55 R17's fitted to my SEL, just -0.8% !!

Then the next question will be, will a 205/60 R16 fit in the spare wheel well ?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
A couple of photos, wheel size etc , snug fit and the plastic trim at front of wheel cavity just pulls out making it easier to fit spare in.
Font Rectangle Paper Number Document
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood
Automotive tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't think that it needs to be very precise as the space saving spare wheel is only designed to be driven for a limited period of time and restricted to 50mph.

The car adjusts itself reasonably well and often you don't even know that you have a puncture and that changes the size !

·
Registered
70 Posts
MikeB said:
Topcat said:
Hi Topcat,

How are you getting on with the running boards are they useful or do they get in the way when you're getting out of the car?
Running Boards are more Decorative than Practical i think children might step on it to get in and out and the same for the Elderly and they have had a few admiring glances!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered an optional spare wheel, but apparently it gets shipped separately to the car! Picked my new car up on Thursday but the spare wheel may take another 10 days.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pabs said:
I ordered an optional spare wheel, but apparently it gets shipped separately to the car! Picked my new car up on Thursday but the spare wheel may take another 10 days.
I would be really interested in the size of the tyre that you get !!

You will almost certainly get a 16" steel wheel which is fine, even though the SEL has 17" alloys.

What is interesting is that a 205/60 profile tyre on a 16" rim gives a much closer rolling circumference to the standard 17" wheel than the 205/55 R16 spare tyre that I got with my SEL..

Please let us know what you get..

Ta.

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
360 Posts
With wording of Factory option you would expect it to be put in at the factory!! Strange system.... Possibly managed by the same person who organises the transportation 😂😂😂

·
Registered
112 Posts
Omyears - and what size of wheels do you have on your R Line?

R line DSG 115 in Makena Turquoise
Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jonblue- I have 18" wheels on my R line. Haven't measured it up but spare doesn't look that much smaller and you couldn't get anything bigger in the spare wheel hole. If you had 18" spare you definitely need a very low profile tyre I would have thought to fit in the space. Anyway I'd only be using spare at low speeds in an emergency to get me to tyre fitter!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts