Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new member here having just got a T-Cross. Its an automatic and was wondering when using the handbrake when stopped at traffic for a while, what gear do you put the car in, P or N?

·
Registered
87 Posts
With the DSG gearbox- which is essentially an automated manual, you leave the car in drive and keep your foot on the brake. The gearbox automatically places itself in neutral. Also, remembering that it is essentially a manual gearbox, do not allow the vehicle to creep in traffic as that will accentuate wear on the clutches just the same as if you were riding the clutch in a true manual. So, on approaching stopped traffic, stop as close as practicable to the car in front, and do not stop well back and then creep up.. There is no need to use your handbrake when stopped if you have your foot on the brake. I would advise against it, as you may slip into the bad habit of placing the vehicle in neutral or park. Cheers-John

·
Registered
87 Posts
P.S Also remember that you have automatic hill hold so, on hills you don't have to use your handbrake. The vehicle will hold for several seconds when you take your foot off the brake. Cheers-John

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Also, once stopped the engine should cut out due to the stop start. As has been said, the clutch is fully disengaged when your foot is on the brake.

The manual handbrake doesn't hold well against the programmed 'auto creep' so shouldn't be relied upon.

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
377 Posts
Yes, dealer told me the same 👍

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys, new member here having just got a T-Cross. Its an automatic and was wondering when using the handbrake when stopped at traffic for a while, what gear do you put the car in, P or N?
If you have to use the handbrake to rest your foot, put it into N as it’s much safer. Putting it to into P could mean that if you get rear ended for example, you could damage the parking pawl. I do the same when I know I’m gonna be stopped for a while, eg. at railway crossings etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Putting it into N and applying the handbrake also saves the driver behind from the glare of your brake lights.
Reefblue T Cross - Happy with your 1.5 DSG, no kangerooing ?

Reactions: Halin9

·
Registered
25 Posts
Putting it into N and applying the handbrake also saves the driver behind from the glare of your brake lights.
Reefblue T Cross - Happy with your 1.5 DSG, no kangerooing ?
Yes, no Kangarooing at all. But if you check this post 1.5 TSI EVO Weird noise I have a noise coming from the engine bay, which I now 75% think it is rod knock (loose crankshaft bearings) under turbo boost. I had the suspicion that it was possibly rod knock and a member in another forum also said it could be rod knock. Although, I don’t think it’s a fault of the 1.5 TSI, it could just be that my particular car has got a defective engine or whatever, as the car is only 6 months old with 6000 miles and this noise started at approx 3000. Will have to take it to another dealer soon to sort it out. Probably will be needing a new engine or a rebuild.

However, the T-Cross will be exchanged for the Tiguan 2.0 TDI I’ve ordered which is probably not expected to arrive until July. Mainly because we needed a bigger car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Many thanks for the info on your 1.5 engine.
I have taken a chance on it and ordered a VW Taigo 1.5 DSG
I only wish that it had the same reputation as the 1.4 that was in my 2017 Q2.
Yes, no Kangarooing at all. But if you check this post 1.5 TSI EVO Weird noise I have a noise coming from the engine bay, which I now 75% think it is rod knock (loose crankshaft bearings) under turbo boost. I had the suspicion that it was possibly rod knock and a member in another forum also said it could be rod knock. Although, I don’t think it’s a fault of the 1.5 TSI, it could just be that my particular car has got a defective engine or whatever, as the car is only 6 months old with 6000 miles and this noise started at approx 3000. Will have to take it to another dealer soon to sort it out. Probably will be needing a new engine or a rebuild.

However, the T-Cross will be exchanged for the Tiguan 2.0 TDI I’ve ordered which is probably not expected to arrive until July. Mainly because we needed a bigger car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Many thanks for the info on your 1.5 engine.
I have taken a chance on it and ordered a VW Taigo 1.5 DSG
I only wish that it had the same reputation as the 1.4 that was in my 2017 Q2.
Great choice! Overall it’s a nice engine and you can get quite nice mpg figures too if driven with mpg in mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts