Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone invested in a Battery Charger yet? I do mainly short journeys so thought it might be a wise precaution in this cold weather although I have only had the car for about 5 months. Honest John recommends the CTEK MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic Battery Charger which at around £66 is a bit pricey. Has anyone been forced to charge their battery yet and can recommend a cheaper but efficient charger?

R line DSG 115 in Makena Turquoise
Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger and can't recommend them enough, brilliant bits of kit !!

Like you I considered cheaper options and looked around but in the end I went for the CTEK as nothing else really compares.

Mine does a 7 stage charge and really does keep the battery up to spec.

I mainly use it on my motorbike as I have a plug permanently wired which hangs just below the seat so I can simply plug it in.

I love the connect and forget features of it, as it completely looks after its self and will not overcharge the battery.

Honestly, go for the CTEK, you will not be disappointed, and once you have one you will not ever need anything else.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get to Lidl.
They do a battery charger thats £14. Highly rated and is also intelligent so will stop charging when necessary.
In fact I think its on offer this week actually!

Ive had one for about 10 years and used it on my Lotus Elise for most of that time. Excellent item.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am back on this subject again. Think I will definitely need to invest in a battery charger for my T Cross R Line as my mileage is negligible. Am I correct in saying that I cannot use my VERY old trickle charger used for lead acid battery on these new start stop batteries? The top charger appear to be by CTECH -- the MX5 and the CT5 -- what's the difference apart from price? The MX5 says it s a start stop charger but the other does not refer to this. They are both pricey.

Ha anyone charged their T Cross battery yet and what charger did you use?

Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ive charged my wifes T Cross a couple of times since owning it.

As I recommended above, buy a Lidls charger for £15, works perfectly

·
Registered
156 Posts
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you really won't go wrong with a CTek, superb bits of kit..

Having said that, have you looked at the Noco Genius range of smart chargers ?
These come out cheaper and also get good reviews for use on modern cars.

https://no.co/products

Just get yourself a Ctek though, I really can't recommend them enough, I have used it on my T-Cross during this lockdown, simply connect and forget.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the MX5 and have used it on many cars.

The Ctek kit has interchangeable connections, I have the usual croc clips, cigarette lighter attachment and also a little harness thing which you can leave permanently connected to the battery.. This was really useful on my wife's Cmax as one of the battery terminals was well up under the bulkhead and inaccessible. I took time to connect the harness, and then simply plugged the charger in to charge the battery.

On my previous Golf, I simply plugged the cigarette plug onto the charger and plugged in into the spare Aux socket in the boot. Simples..

I have used the charger recently durring the current lockdown to charge both our new T-Cross and new Ibiza, both times using the croc clips straight on the battery.

On all of the cars, Golf, Cmax, T-Cross, Ibiza I have not had to disconnect the battery, as I believe the Ctek kit is voltage limited and kept below any voltage that can damage anything. You would have to check this, but I believe this is the case.

Strangely enough, when poking around my local VW showroom I have noticed they use CTek chargers to keep their display cars topped up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No, it's not necessary, just make sure you connect the positive lead of the charger to the positive battery terminal and connect the negative lead on the charger to a grounding point on the chassis and not directly to the battery as it will not charge properly. The charge needs to go through the battery monitor which is installed on the negative terminal.

As others have said you can use a Lidl/Aldi charger, they are quite cheap and work perfectly and they also have trickle charge/maintenance function so you can leave connected long term. I can speak as I have both Aldi/Lidl plus a Ctek MXS3.8 for my cars and there is no difference between them except the brand and the price tag. I like Aldi charger more as it has a display and shows you the charging voltage while Lidl and Ctek have led indicators. Lidl one is quite old model, I believe the newer models also come with display like Aldi ones (probably made at same factory lol). Ctek make a quick connect lead called Comfort Connect Indicator which you connect to the battery permanently and then simply connect and disconnect the charger, no need for croc clamps anymore. It also has 3 led lights which indicate the level of charge in the battery. The Comfort Connector is around 6 quid on amazon, I have installed one in each of my cars and also modified the Aldi/Lidl chargers and installed Ctek connectors on them so I can use with the Comfort Connector. For the T-Cross I have installed the negative lead of the Comfort Connector on the bolt that holds the battery onto the tray. You can't miss it if you open the bonnet and look at the battery.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Purchased a CTEK MXS 5 Battery charger. Am puzzled whether I should connect the negative black connector direct to the battery terminal or should it be connected to the chassis. Apparently the latter is advisable if the car has a BMS Battery management system -- not sure if the T cross has. Advice please.

Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

·
Registered
76 Posts
Am puzzled whether I should connect the negative black connector direct to the battery terminal or should it be connected to the chassis
Further to Halin9's reply, on the chassis to the right of the battery (if you are standing in front of the car looking at the motor) is a silver lug (for want of a better word), it is marked in the manual as the negative connection point for when you are attaching jumper leads to your vehicle for a jump start.

You can use this when attaching your battery charger's negative cable.

As an aside, don't attach your jumper lead's negative cable direct to the battery either.... use the provided connection point

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any modern car with Start/Stop system has some sort of BMS and that includes the T-Cross. I fixed my negative lead to the bolt in front of the battery which holds the bracket in place. I'll get a photo of it when I get home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.