Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the official VW web I can see the T-cross should have a brake energy recuperation. I am familiar with the concept of brake energy recuperation generally, but does anyone know exactly how it works in T-Cross? I did not find it in manual. I belive it works only when the gear is selected and the car is breaking (not working on neutral) because car encourages me not to go in neutral when breaking, but I lack more information.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
It's slightly misleading as it braking not brake recuperation. It works by a variable charge alternator: During deceleration at lower speeds the charging from the alternator is increased which increases the load on the engine providing enhanced engine braking. Yes you need to be in gear for it to be activated, and provide a braking effect.

Conversely on starting the engine the alternator charging is reduced to minimum to reduce the load on the battery for restarting.

This used to be found on their website under technology, but with the new website heaven only knows where you'll find it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Coming from a hybrid you could feel the engine braking and there was a use for energy recouperation to top up the hybrid battery.

In the t-cross i dont really feel the engine braking at all it coasts very well with little drag. Tbh i dont see the benefit when the car has a alternator anyway.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Spc369, that's the point under coasting and normal driving there is little engine drag, but as you brake and slow right down it increases the engine drag to help you and recharge the battery. The benefit is using the alternator to increase engine load and charging, or reduce the charging and load on starting the engine. All about managing the battery for stop start.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Tricky2 said:
Spc369, that's the point under coasting and normal driving there is little engine drag, but as you brake and slow right down it increases the engine drag to help you and recharge the battery. The benefit is using the alternator to increase engine load and charging, or reduce the charging and load on starting the engine. All about managing the battery for stop start.
A that makes sense then ,previous car had engine braking mode to assist charging and you could feel it braking the car. Seemed pointless on a non hybrid but yes with stop start now it makes sense &#x1f44d-1f3fc;

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.