Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I received notification today that my car is at stage 6 (arrived in U.K.). I'm gutted to say that my own car (which I'm trading in) has broken down (clutch). The cost to fix is going to make the tcross unaffordable for me now.

Has anyone cancelled a car order at this stage? I don't want to but I'm stretching my finances as it is and can't see any other way out of this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is a real shame..

Surely there must be a way to get your old car fixed enough on the cheap to use it as a trade in ?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thats unfortunate news ,,
if youve ordered a standard model without specific extras the dealership,should have no trouble selling straight on as there're selling like hotcakes.

However,,, this close to delivery id be getting it fixed on the cheap, even if i had to borrow of people in the short term.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Based on my experience you may be able to cancel and get your deposit back. My car was not taxed and put in my name until I walked in the showroom in case I had changed my mind and cancelled at the last minute. It's worth asking.

If your old car is drivable then trade it in as it is, as once a trade in value has been agreed most dealers don't look at it again or drive it and send it straight off to auction. The dealer never saw mine when agreeing a trade in value and had no idea what state it would be in. All they did on the day I picked up the new car was check its mileage for their paperwork.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly the clutch and flywheel have gone in my old car. It's over £800 for the cheapest fix.

The dealer has said I can cancel and get my deposit back which I am likely to do tomorrow.

I have seen an in stock tcross with a bit of a discount and without the options which would bring it back into affordability, but it is not with current dealer. I'm guessing they will be able to sell mine quickly.

Even more disappointing my car arrives in the showroom today!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've previously bought cars from dealers who have offered the best deal regardless of their location. If I've subsequently had any warranty issues I then dealt with the local dealer without any problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IWRA said:
I've previously bought cars from dealers who have offered the best deal regardless of their location. If I've subsequently had any warranty issues I then dealt with the local dealer without any problem.
I've found a tcross, miles away from me. Its a Rline but doesn't have any extras. The plus is it's got a big discount which brings it back into budget, but the negative is it's miles away and I was taking out the service plan.

I'm really at a loss to know what to do but I'm definitely cancelling the order tomorrow. I didn't get any discount with my order and they aren't willing to offer any so I need to do the sensible thing!

·
Registered
129 Posts
The service plan is valid at any dealer, if you are looking again, it is worth checking out prices of dealers on carwow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

Do you mean any VW? I would have thought it needed to be a group. The one with the biggest discount is not part of a bigger group.

I didn't shop around at first, just placed my order but I can now see that discounts are available if I'm prepared to sacrifice the extras. Which I am.

I'm happy to go get it but the service plan was my biggest concern!

·
Registered
129 Posts
The service plan is issued by VW finance and is valid for services at any franchised dealer. Just check that is what is being offered ( £199 for 2 services). It is always worth checking prices at carwow or Orangewheels to see what discounts are being offered and either go to the dealers suggested or aim to get the same discount at your local dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drw said:
The service plan is issued by VW finance and is valid for services at any franchised dealer. Just check that is what is being offered ( £199 for 2 services). It is always worth checking prices at carwow or Orangewheels to see what discounts are being offered and either go to the dealers suggested or aim to get the same discount at your local dealer.
That is amazing news. I have checked car wow will check the other now.

Im afraid my local dealer just wont move on the price at all, but that's their choice. I'm guessing there will be someone willing to buy my car quickly!

·
Registered
3 Posts
katydaly said:
Drw said:
That is amazing news. I have checked car wow will check the other now.

Im afraid my local dealer just wont move on the price at all, but that's their choice. I'm guessing there will be someone willing to buy my car quickly!
Carwows discounts aren't that great usually as they only contact dealers within a certain catchment area of where you are (although they are slick and the most heavily marketed). Best discounts I've found are at drivethedeal.com and autoebid, give those a try.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, there was an amazing offer on car wow. Plus another dealer offered me a good deal. However my original dealer has reduced the price by enough to bring it back in budget.

I pick it up tomorrow 😀

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great news that you are able still get the car you originally ordered and still within budget.

Not found my local dealer wanting to do much of a deal currently, offering the standard £1000 pcp contribution and a low end trade in valuation. Going to shop around and see what deals I can get elsewhere to use as a bartering position as prefer to use local dealer for convenience.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well done for getting the car you wanted at a reduced price. Knowing the discounts available elsewhere and quoting them to a local dealer is a very useful technique. However you were fortunate that the original dealer agreed and would have refunded the deposit if you wanted.

It is possible that the original dealer needed a sale in the current quarter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
@katydaly, just to check, you won't be signing up to your dealers gap insurance will you ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Drw said:
Well done for getting the car you wanted at a reduced price. Knowing the discounts available elsewhere and quoting them to a local dealer is a very useful technique. However you were fortunate that the original dealer agreed and would have refunded the deposit if you wanted.

It is possible that the original dealer needed a sale in the current quarter.
They did, that's why I am picking up today (or tomorrow was an option but I'm not here).

One of the other dealers I spoke to said you will always get your deposit back. They have never known any to be kept on a new car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Drw said:
@katydaly, just to check, you won't be signing up to your dealers gap insurance will you ?
No, I planned to get it online. Do you think it's worth having?

I don't plan to get any other extra insurances. My thinking being I'll repair any minor chips etc prior to handing car back. I was guessing that a claim on that insurance worked look good on future insurances.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.