Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read an article that says coasting is illegal and can carry a fine of £1,000 as you're not in full control of the car.
Plus it can cause engine damage and alter the way the ECU operates the fuel supply. Yet this is a built in feature of the DSG box.
Would be interesting to hear anyone's thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Would be interested to read the article as VW ain't the only one's doing it, my Volvo does too. Plus why does it claim the fuels altered? It's idling with the clutch in.

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't find the article I read yesterday, but just googled can coasting cause engine damage. Mercedes Benz in particular made interesting reading and others even queried if it actually saves fuel with modern engine technology.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Surely as it’s an inbuilt feature and on an automatic, I wouldn’t think it would be illegal, unlike for a manual.

Regarding engine damage, it would be a problem in a manual if your revs don’t match to the speed, but definitely not in a DSG as it rev matches when a gear is engaged from coasting.

Regarding fuel saving, agree that it doesn’t save much fuel, i most of the time tend to use engine braking as it’s using zero fuel during this period.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Digitalracer I've had similar discussions on the mytiguan forum over the years, on whether it saves fuel. I can only go by the provided consumption information the car provides, the 'cross has the blue trainer, but my Volvo has an excellent horizontal graph showing overall consumption per mile and the graph bars go way up when coasting.

Reefbluetcross, yes it's only available for automatics as it has to disengage the clutch. You mention engine braking, but this is different, coasting is for when you don't wan't to slow down, engine braking is for when you do want to slow down.

Reactions: Digitalracer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Would be useful if you could post the article or cite reference. Personally I would doubt its claim as coasting is and has been a standard driving practice irrespective of engine. Indeed, VW in their "Think Blue" driving tips recommend coasting as a method of saving fuel. I would doubt therefore the authority of the article.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts