Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been looking around for a suitable suv crossover and have decided the t cross fits the bill. Visited the dealer again today ( 2nd visit)
And test drove a 115ps in manual and automatic. I really want a auto however the manual was a nice drive its making it a harder choice to pay the extra. Going back to the dealer next weekend so ive a few days to consider my options.

Im intending to add into the se,,,,, auto mirrors, rev camera, keyless entry, and the active info display. In whichever drive i chose.

However being an older guy was surprised a cd player wasnt an option as i have a room of cd's and nothing on my phone lol.

One of the cars i tested today had the beats pack and did have a CD player in the glovebox. So im guessing its only available as part of the beats option and not as standalone?

So im deciding which gbox to chose and if i chose the cheaper manual i could go with the beats pack. Auto is at the top of my budget so couldnt justify getting both.

Busy week of research and decisions lol.

Steve.

Any opinions appriciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have you considered the SEL ?

We have one on order as felt the it was the sweet spot of the trim levels.

We thought that car just looked better with the 17" Chesterfield wheels, Silver roof rails and dark rear tinted windows that come as standard with the SEL.

Also the included LED headlights, Parking sensors, dual zone climate and native SatNav make the SEL look a good all round package.

I don't really agree with VW's complicated options as I believe this is now delaying delivery of their cars due to WLTP and having to test all the different combinations.

We recently ordered an SEAT Ibiza and that now only comes in 5 trim levels to which you can no longer add options, which does make the ordering and delivery less painful.

I am sure you will decide on the options that best suit your needs. Hope you get there in the end.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply, yes i did consider the sel in manual with my options and they gave me the useful extras of privacy glass, climate and the led headlights however came out about 800 more than the auto se with my options so out of my budget im afraid.
The joys of picking what you would like against need and the budget lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A CD player is old technology and limits your music options compared with putting your music onto the phone, memory stick or SD card all readable on the T-Cross. The Beats system is very good although it does take up space under the floor in the boot. The First Edition is fully loaded with goodies but has a manual 6 speed gearbox. A rear view camera is not really necessary with the parking assistance.

The dealers should offer you a £1,000 discount and 2 years free maintenance. You can take out PCP to get the deal and cancel it in the first month. If you look on Autotrader there a a growing number of dealers offering discounted stock cars.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply, yes have been offered the £1000 and 2yrs free and it would be on pcp.

I sat in a first edition but although nice beyond my budget. So an se with chosen options suits the needs.
Just the last bit of deciding over the gearbox really. And the sounds.

Personally i think they should support cd a bit longer. Im 51 and have no music on my phone but a 22yr old with a phone full of music isnt going to be the target market for a new car imo. If i dont option the beats for the cd player then im facing buying all my music again or spending hours transfering to sd or memory stick.

To give me some idea with the apple play / iphone ( i have) how does the sound quality compare against cd playback?

·
Registered
203 Posts
The CD sound quality via the Beats system is very good as is the radio and other sources, I don't think you will notice any difference between them. One thing however is that so far the tracks on the CD's I have played only display as Track 1, etc, no CD or song title or graphics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello there,
Test drove the SEL this weekend, that had the CD player & card reader in the glovebox, so I would check to see if the SE is the same.
Good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Exeforde said:
Hello there,
Test drove the SEL this weekend, that had the CD player & card reader in the glovebox, so I would check to see if the SE is the same.
Good luck.
What did you think of the Car, would be interested to know ?

Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IWRA said:
The CD sound quality via the Beats system is very good as is the radio and other sources, I don't think you will notice any difference between them. One thing however is that so far the tracks on the CD's I have played only display as Track 1, etc, no CD or song title or graphics.
Interesting, my current car does display album art and track title.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've now sat in (but not driven) two SE models (without Beats), a first edition and an R-Line (both with beats). All of them had the CD player in the glove box. The same unit is also where the SD cards for Nav and Music go, so I can't see them not fitting it, apart from maybe the entry-level S models which I think have a different system.

If you go for Beats, bear in mind that the sub-woofer is designed to fit around a full-size spare wheel, and you lose the ability to lower the boot floor by about 6 inches. It does sound good though, so depends what your priorities are.

Our other car is a current-shape Tiguan SEL and that has the same CD player in the glove box. We've had the car 15 months now and I've used the CD player once - to check that it works.

Ripping music to an SD card is, in my view, a good investment of time. I have my iTunes synced to Google Play Music, which means it's all backed up and uploaded to their servers free of charge and available on my phone. If that sounds daunting, you only really need to rip the 20-or-so CDs that you'd want to keep in the car anyway.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Having loaded a USB stick and SD card with tracks there was no noticeable difference in sound quality between the different sources. All the albums and tracks had accompanying titles and the graphics for each album cover.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well im going to have to check again with the sales guy about the cd payer, it certainly not on the options list but if standard without beats then ive no issues,lol.

Ive test driven manual / auto in 115ps and both drove smooth. Ive now got the figures in from sales against each configuration im considering, they are all surprisingly in budget so it really is just a question of picking the right car for me.

Now heres something im unsure on.
I dont need the ag lifeshine product or the scratch / dent package.

Theres too much rumour that lifeshine isnt applied properly or if at all . Dealerships are busy and the cleaners out back are at best valeters not detailers.

The dent scratch package if you seen the measures they use are so small you never realistically get to use them.

Having told the salesman this he told me they will still appear as charged on the invoice but will be free as thats how they get commission on them.

All seems a bit odd, the invoice should be correct. Im going to have to go in and get this explained but wondered if anyone else has any experience?

Not tryiing to sound negative i think weve pretty much decided on the car its just working the right model / deal out

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, last sunday i was given by the sales rep 3 prices against a 1500 equity in my car... on giving the rep the accurate figure on wednesday of 2500 one price changed down the other stayed the same. Odd. I questioned this today and he said he would email through the quotes for my reference. Unbelievably the prices have changed since wed, Same model price against same equity and apr.

Not sure what to do next as theres no faith in the qoutes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
spc369 said:
Well, last sunday i was given by the sales rep 3 prices against a 1500 equity in my car... on giving the rep the accurate figure on wednesday of 2500 one price changed down the other stayed the same. Odd. I questioned this today and he said he would email through the quotes for my reference. Unbelievably the prices have changed since wed, Same model price against same equity and apr.

Not sure what to do next as theres no faith in the qoutes.
Sounds dodgy, what figures have you been given? I've had several quotes but they've been in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
238 for a 115 se manual and 263 for 115 auto on wed,,,, on fri they were 241 and 273 respectively. Same car, same deposit , same apr% as the deals on until the end of june so 2days apart no reason to change as the details didnt change

Ive said we will come in and discuss it sd over the phone doesent work. He keeps asking which one im favoring but ad the pricebis also a consideration ive not decided. Very odd.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well revisted the dealership today and another look around the t cross has confirmed this will be my next car.
The guy who qouted the previous prices was busy and the only available staff was the finance manager. He went over the prices again and they are now 10 each cheaper on either manual or auto so we've had the prices printed out for reference.

It will be a 115 se with...

Auto mirrors... active info... rev camera... keyless and beats.

I just have to decide on manual or auto.

Send help ... lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just rang dealer to arrange test drives... no cars available this weekend.... arrrgh.....so booked in fir next sat

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Roll on sat,,, how long is an acceptable test drive? Big decision to make over a quick spin round the block

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're right a spin round the block is not enough! I find it is not so much the length of the test drive as the opportunity to put the car/gearbox through its paces although I would want a minimum of 20 minutes. Sitting for 20 mins in traffic mind you is not much good. Better 20 mins on mixed roads: town driving and dual carriageway. This gives you a good opportunity to get up to 60/70 mph and take the car through the gears and check the braking response. Listen for wind noise/tyre roar. I would keep the radio off and windows closed. Hopefully he salesman sitting beside you doesn't talk too much!

Hope it goes well - let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well another mess at my dealership, after a mess with the figures and waiting for a test drive slot i get to the dealership today to be told the salemans out getting petrol fine im booked in. He arrives back and says auto sold yesterday. Fine that happens but why with an appointment booked for a week why didnt anyone ring me? Too big a decision between auto / manual to only drive one. Ok so im there and the manuals there. Wated trip as i wont decide but might as well drive one.

Sits in car spend time adjusting everything. Turn key ,petrols in the red. I wouldnt have the confidence to drive it anywhere. so i go back in to be told i could drive to s station and put a fiver in! REALLY. I been waiting all week excited looking to make a decision today to be no further on.

Remember when i arrived the saleman was at a petrol station getting petrol, just not fir the car he had a customer coming to test .His excuse... people went on test drives yesterday... exactly so check the car for your next booked customer.

No further on and no confidence in this sales guy...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts