Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm having an irritating problem of a noise from the passenger side air vent and dashboard. It appears to be the expansion of the hard plastics either in the dash or the air vents / hoses in the cold weather at below 6 degrees. Only been present since the change in the weather. It stops when the passenger compartment is warm.

Anyone else having this issue and what's been your solutions?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes .. mine is the same tried banging dashboard and that sort of thing but everything is solid and no movement. So as it goes off when car is warm I've left it for the moment. Mine is just creaking. Perhaps yours is worse than mine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have an annoying occasional creak around passenger a pillar. Tbh didnt notice it until the temperatures dropped recently. May be related

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TX19 said:
Yes .. mine is the same tried banging dashboard and that sort of thing but everything is solid and no movement. So as it goes off when car is warm I've left it for the moment. Mine is just creaking. Perhaps yours is worse than mine.
Let us know the outcome when you visit the dealer. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the same problem, tried all the usual things, glove box empty/full, open/closed, but is definitely in that area behind the dash
It also comes and goes, so may be temperature related - I hadn't thought of that..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Someone on the German forum has tracked it down and has posted the following and photo below.

A little update. Found the culprit now. It is the A pillar. On the driver side, it sounded more like the B-pillar. Madness that you can quickly be mistaken. After I was on a jogging track it annoyed me extremely so I let my wife drive so that I could track the noise. Then felt between the A-pillar and the cockpit and drove the route again. Now there is silence.
Hood Light Vehicle Automotive design Fixture

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the update. I have the same issue.

And to be honest, this is unacceptable. Day by day we find more and more issues that are mostly related to the poor-cheap materials they use to build this car.
The exterior is awesome, i really love the design, but the interior has already started grinding my gears.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did mine and it has cured the creaking. There was a definite gap around the 'A' pillar on the passenger side where it meets the facia top.
Rather than felt pads I pushed in a couple of rubber 'O' rings, and I just need to trim them now that it has done the job..
I suppose a rolled up strip of insulating tape made to the correct size would have also done the job.
Many thanks to IWRA for his post dated 22nd December, it has saved me a trip to the dealer, and even then they may not have sorted it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IWRA said:
Someone on the German forum has tracked it down and has posted the following and photo below.

A little update. Found the culprit now. It is the A pillar. On the driver side, it sounded more like the B-pillar. Madness that you can quickly be mistaken. After I was on a jogging track it annoyed me extremely so I let my wife drive so that I could track the noise. Then felt between the A-pillar and the cockpit and drove the route again. Now there is silence.
1F9DCEB4-D88F-4DA0-A055-052BC08275F8.jpeg
Crumbs.....must have been worried about it if he let his wife drive........8 )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update on creaking dashboard

Finally managed to get the car into the main dealer. They agreed there was a noise and felt it had come from a heating pipe that had come loose behind the glove box. Surprise, surprise however, the noise is still there and I can't see that it's any better. Can't be bothered to take it back again so will try the fix shown in the photo.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used some black insulating tape folded over and pushed down the gap between the A pillar and the dash, that appears to have sorted it - for now!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all. I am very close to ordering 1.5 t cross but am a bit worried about creaks rattles etc. after reading these problems. Have all of you who had this issue had it sorted out by dealers and are your cars squeak free now. The only Vw I have owned was Amarok and that was a great car. Hoping t cross will be same.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Fear not, not all T-Cross's squeak. Ours is beautifully squeak free. I can just about hear a tick from the drivers door on the local B roads that rock it from side to side (the local roads would show up anything like that as they're winding country roads), I think a wire not completely strapped down, but even I am hard pushed to notice it. (misses calls me bat ears cos I hear every little noise.)

Collected in December so a recent build where they may have taken steps based on early feedback.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Bean
I am becoming less happy with my T-Cross as time goes by. I have the dashboard squeak - very annoying on any uneven roads. I find the Lane keep Assist quite intrusive. During my last two trips in the car I got the audible warning/screen prompt on a total of three occasions to 'Take over the steering' despite having both hands on the steering wheel! As others have reported, VW have implemented this safety feature quite aggressively. My wife won't drive the car until it is switched off and this isn't a matter of pressing a button but involves getting into the Car settings menu and scrolling through a menu. Overall it is a good car - smooth drive and comfortable. I will take it back to the dealer in the next couple of months to get the squeaks fixed and ask about any possible software update on the Lane Assist.
I don't exactly regret our purchase but the shine has been taken off it a wee bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.