Detachable towbar installed and bumper reinstated
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Detachable ball-hitch pluged in and locked
Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Excellent job, I'd be afraid to start pulling a new car apart like that. What make towbar have you gone for, and did you use car specific electrics and code it?

The T-Roc has problems with the height of the tow ball on the factory fit. Being way to High, how does yours look hitched up, pretty level?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't install any electrics I am only going to use this for my bike carrier.
The bottom of the socket for the swan neck is level with the bottom on the bumper.
The swan neck ball hitch then pushes up from the floor under the bumper into the socket, you then use one of the two supplied keys to lock it.
To remove it you unlock using the key then push down the release handle and the swan neck ball hitch drops down into your hand.
You can get full excess to the cabling from inside the boot

Font Gadget Machine Camera accessory Box

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Housty said:
I didn't install any electrics I am only going to use this for my bike carrier.
The bottom of the socket for the swan neck is level with the bottom on the bumper.
The swan neck ball hitch then pushes up from the floor under the bumper into the socket, you then use one of the two supplied keys to lock it.
To remove it you unlock using the key then push down the release handle and the swan neck ball hitch drops down into your hand.
You can get full excess to the cabling from inside the boot

51A88B3C-1388-4780-9823-D88E1C374975.png
Aren't electrics required for the lights on a bike carrier? The bike carriers that I've seen that mount to towbars all seem to have lights....

Wheel Bicycle Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a "THULE 970 Xpress 2- bike Towball carrier"
no lights required, you can still see all the lights through the wheels of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Housty said:
no lights required, you can still see all the lights through the wheels of the bike.
The law doesn't make this distinction, the lights must be clearly visible and unobstructed. Totally up to you, but you could be stopped and have to argue the case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tricky2 said:
Housty said:
The law doesn't make this distinction, the lights must be clearly visible and unobstructed. Totally up to you, but you could be stopped and have to argue the case.
You might be able to see the lights , but it looks like the number plate is obscured once the bikes are loaded...

Bicycle Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Even in my country where the traffic police are pretty meh, they make a lot of fuss about those rear bike racks. So I see more and more of the bigger 925 and 927 bike racks around with a duplicate plate and lights, but a complete tow bar assembly + one of those is a costly enterprise. I'm just using roof carriers. Pretty happy, though the sound when doing 60+ mph with three bikes is not very pleasant, and they do affect mpg quite a lot when loaded.

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will definitely need a rear number plate if the bikes even partially obscure the original plate, you might get away with a bit of cardboard with your number written on but you also might get a fine..
I have two electric bikes which are too heavy to lift onto the roof so a professionaly fitted tow bar is my only option, I'm having a detachable one fitted to my Tiguan giving me the option at a later date to have it fitted on the T Cross.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just had a quote from VW for £955 for fitting detachable tow bar with electrics 😳

Apparently there are some bumper extras needed. Is it worth just paying for the official VW dealer to do it?

Also, any experience of tow bars in general devaluing the car on re-sale? Unexpected advice from a friend that it would suggest the car had been under more rigorous use.

I only want it for the bike rack to be honest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DrewK said:
I've just had a quote from VW for £955 for fitting detachable tow bar with electrics 😳

Apparently there are some bumper extras needed. Is it worth just paying for the official VW dealer to do it?

Also, any experience of tow bars in general devaluing the car on re-sale? Unexpected advice from a friend that it would suggest the car had been under more rigorous use.

I only want it for the bike rack to be honest.
If you're worried about that I would just remove it before you sell it so no-one would know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
LoekFa said:
See the difference on my R-Line without an with an original fitted towbar.
The dealer had to change the lowerpart of the bumper.
(included in the € 1000 what i had to pay)

One advice, Let the electronic part have installed by the dealer.
Saves you a lot of problems...
Isn't that the SE bumper? Not sure I want to lose the R-line one. Cost a lot for the 'look'.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
The basic bumper shape is the same, why not just have a rectangle cut out under the bumper to make room? That was the instructions for my mk1 tiguan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
LoekFa said:
No, it's special for an towinghook. There's an open gap, where the hook hooks in and you can turn the electric connection down
Maybe it's different in NL trim wise?

The grey/silver detail on the bumper with the tow bar fitted is usually on SE in the UK, and not on the R-line.

I've screenshotted two examples from auto trader to show what I mean. I won't want the wrong trimmed bumper. Not with paying nearly £1k!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tricky2 said:
The basic bumper shape is the same, why not just have a rectangle cut out under the bumper to make room? That was the instructions for my mk1 tiguan.
No idea - but they are charging me an extra £150 for whatever they are proposing to do to the bumper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I take it back - it's about £80.

" Thank you for your email. Your car would also require an additional lower spoiler which is priced at £79.39 inc VAT and an additional holder for the control unit which is £4.96 including VAT these are not included in the price in the accessories brochure."

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did a deal when I bought my Tcross to get the demountable towbar fitted as part of the overall package , a lot of the cost is the workshop time.
They had the car a whole day as they wanted to take extra care when removing and replacing all the trim to get the wiring harness from back to front.
When I bought my first Yeti the option was for a factory fitted Towbar prep which installed all the wiring and a bigger cooling fan, towbar install by the dealer was then quite simple.
My second Yeti had I believe the towbar installed at the factory.

A correctly fitted towbar install will , I believe, make changes to the reversing sensor operations, the car alarm and the stability control settings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had to tow my Messerschmitt with a lightbar.
The dash gave me a sighn that a light wasn't working.
And there was a fault, the cruisecontrol didn't work.
Turned out to be a faulty connection in the trailerplug....
So, if the cruise doesn't work, check the connection for the trailor.
(just an advice out of experiance)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.