Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner

Disable start-stop.

21K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Tricky2 
#1 ·
Have been told by a friend of mine that this works, he has done it on his new Tiguan. So I gave it a go on my Tcross and can confirm it disables the start-stop. All you have to do is disconnect the connector on the left side of the battery and tape it up to stop any water getting in. You do get a start-stop error come up on the dash but that disappears after a few seconds. Don't forget to plug it back in before taking the car for any warranty or service work. To remove the connector slide the grey part towards you with your finger nail and then pinch it together and pull off.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
What you've actually done is disable sensing of the battery status so you may be overcharging or undercharging. What's difficult about pressing the off button for every journey, you have to start the car, put it in gear, release the handbrake, how hard to press the button?

#5 ·
I agree probably easier to use the button but I do find how the system works very annoying. If the car in front edges forward (regular occurrence) or pressure on pedal changes 1 iota it restarts. It would be soo much better if it just restarted on the use of the accelerator.

#6 ·
I do agree with digitalracer, my daughters Volvo does that, no need to keep holding the footbrake, which makes a nonsense of autohold.

#8 ·
My humble view,whenever I start the car I turn off the stop/start system. Easy as pie and it becomes a habit. Less stressful than writing about this bit of trivia.

#11 ·
I found this faction very annoying, my vehicle cut out when I approached a stop street or wait to turn at a traffic light. Some times I need to take the gap quickly, but as I approach the traffic light and creep forward to turn, waiting for the gap, he just cut out... opportunity lost. I would suggest to VW to change the system to be OFF and you just switch it on when needed. I have a lot of stop streets in my suburb and this does not help. Should be off and I will switsh it on when needed.

#14 ·
robby71 said:
Better getting an OBDeleven or similar where you can do this plus a ton of other stuff. It should be noted though that on all methods, kufatec included the way the start stop system is overridden is a bit of a cheat as all it does is change the value of the acceptable battery voltage when the start stop should operate at.

#16 ·
Discussion of this issue is getting nowhere; if you disable the stop start, I imagine that in some way you are potentially voiding warranty. Tampering with the system may well lead to knock on problems in the electrical system including the battery. We all knew when you purchase a modern vehicle that it has this feature as standard. It's no more of a chore to hit the off button than to push in a choke button that we used to do in days gone by. Many of us have driven vehicles that were unreliable or had failings that needed a particular driving style. We enjoy the ultimate in safety and convenience yet focus on trivia like hitting a button. I left mine turned on the other day, and honestly it wasn't a problem. Example-waiting at traffic lights I anticipated a green light and slightly eased pressure on the brake pedal. Lo and behold the engine started without the car moving. A twitch on the steering wheel does the same. No drama in the middle of a turn or waiting to turn across traffic. If you can drive your vehicle sympathetically and are aware of it's various features, it's not an issue. Cheers

#18 ·
AussieJohn said:
Discussion of this issue is getting nowhere; if you disable the stop start, I imagine that in some way you are potentially voiding warranty. Tampering with the system may well lead to knock on problems in the electrical system including the battery. We all knew when you purchase a modern vehicle that it has this feature as standard. It's no more of a chore to hit the off button than to push in a choke button that we used to do in days gone by. Many of us have driven vehicles that were unreliable or had failings that needed a particular driving style. We enjoy the ultimate in safety and convenience yet focus on trivia like hitting a button. I left mine turned on the other day, and honestly it wasn't a problem. Example-waiting at traffic lights I anticipated a green light and slightly eased pressure on the brake pedal. Lo and behold the engine started without the car moving. A twitch on the steering wheel does the same. No drama in the middle of a turn or waiting to turn across traffic. If you can drive your vehicle sympathetically and are aware of it's various features, it's not an issue. Cheers
I assume AussieJohn yours is an automatic? Mine is manual and cut out again yesterday in the middle of a busy road junction when the lights were changing. I was lucky nothing was coming. It's a feature that has worked perfectly well on other cars I have owned and there is no reason why VW can't update the software to sort it, but then as we have seen VW are rubbish when it comes to software!!

#19 ·
Hi IWRA, Yes mine is an automatic vehicle, but I can't see the difference in disabling the feature at start up whether the vehicle is manual or auto. I have tried to drive with the feature ON so that I can understand the complaints and it has worked perfectly. My issue with leaving it engaged in an Australian Summer, is that the effectiveness of the A/C is diminished as only the fan operates if the engine is stopped. So, on start up I deactivate it as soon as the engine starts. It doesn't seem to affect fuel consumption to a noticeable degree, and it is an easy start up habit. Regards-John

#21 ·
Hi DaveDelfc, I'm with you, why would you want to disable it, surely when anyone purchases a car they have done their research on the vehicle and are aware of its features. It's there and if you don't want it cutting in just press the off button at start up. -Cheers-John

#22 ·
Hi All

Further to this thread, I'm having the opposite to what the OP had - my start/stop disables itself when I want it on !

It had been working perfectly since I purchased the car (2 months ago) but over the last couple of weeks the engine stays on at lights under conditions when it would have turned off a few weeks previously. I've tried switching it off and back on with the switch above the heater but that doesn't make a difference.

The manual makes a vague mention of various conditions having to be met for it to work which includes battery being too cold or not enough charge etc. Most of the journeys recently have been short (2-3 miles) and it has been cool on some days, but this morning it was 4C which isn't really that cold.

Has anyone else come across this ? Haven't had the chance to try a longer run (don't really want to have to try and explain why I am out driving for no reason when we're still in lockdown !)

Ta

#23 ·
My view is that it needs to thoroughly warm up, short runs with an ambient 4 degrees C aren't enough. In the Australian summer mine doesn't operate sometimes in 30 degrees C temps until I've travelled 5-10kms. Nothing to worry about in my view. Cheers-John

#24 ·
Lots of conditions, including if cabin temp also isn't up to set on the dials. If it's cold and runs are short, try setting lower or turning off cabin temperature. Equally if it's very hot and AC is working too hard.

#25 ·
Under lock down I don't remember my stop/start activating other than once on a longer run for a hospital appointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.