Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner

Disappointed t-cross owner

21K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Keyman 
#1 ·
I've just had my new Motability car delivered.
and I'm really disappointed. I'm quite a
good driver but this VW t cross keeps stalling
whenever I have to slow down. It doesn't
like second gear one little bit. I feel really
cheated. Does anyone know if Motability
cars can be exchanged for another model?
I'd be great full for some help.

#4 ·
Welcome. Yes, try switching off the stop/start. What engine do you have, if it is the 1.5 that has been problematic in the T Roc. You could maybe swap for a DSG box. You have the right to reject the car in the first 6mths if the dealer can't rectify the fault after a couple of attempts I believe. Keep us updated.

#6 ·
I had this happen to me, approaching traffic lights which were on red suddenly turned green put it into second gear and it stalled. Not sure if the stop start was on or off, now make sure i turn it off when i start the car. I have a theory that because the car ticks over at a relatively high 1000rpm it will stall if in second gear anywhere near the idel speed.

#7 ·
Pete Cross said:
I had this happen to me, approaching traffic lights which were on red suddenly turned green put it into second gear and it stalled. Not sure if the stop start was on or off, now make sure i turn it off when i start the car. I have a theory that because the car ticks over at a relatively high 1000rpm it will stall if in second gear anywhere near the idel speed.
Based on my experience under exactly the same circumstances it's due to start/stop system. It's dangerous when this happens at a road junction.

#9 ·
Hey ho. I have had this issue with my Polo from new 2018. it is a 115 DSG and the start stop is a death trap. Im switching to a manual t_cross tomorrow 115 6 speed. I understand however the start stop issues remain. i will ask the dealer IF they can change the polarity of the start stop button so I can just switch it on if i need it. Or simply disconnect it. if im stationary long enough for it to matter i can switch the egn off like the old days lol.

#10 ·
Start Stop has got nothing to do with the button, it's just a momentary signal to the control module. There are ways to code it out, it's mentioned elsewhere on here. Don't know if they changed it for the 2020 model year, but our 115ps DSG doesn't switch off until AFTER I've come to a stop.

Quite noticeable the pause between stop and off, just like my 2015 Tiguan.

I know a lot of people were complaining of this on the mk2 Tiguan, stopping before the car had come to rest, so maybe they've taken note and changed the logic.

#11 ·
The fault reported by the OP is not symptomatic of a stop/start system fault. Stop Start only activates once the driving wheels have stopped turning , The OP reports that the engine "stalls" in low gear suggesting they are still moving. Quite possibly may be something a simple as a faulty fuel pressure sensor. Would be interesting to hear if the OP ever remedied the situation.

#12 ·
I agree with everything you say, however there was a period of time when some models were reporting the engine stopping PRIOR to the vehicle coming to rest. This was mostly early mk2 tiguan's, not aware the new 2017 polo was doing it. This was corrected in later mk2's.

It was corrected before the Cross was released so not relevant to this model.

P.S. This discussion's a year old...:oops:

#13 ·
I was surprised when I collected my 2021 T-Cross 1.0TSI 110PS DSG earlier this year that the Stop/Start system switched off the engine whilst the car was slowing down to a halt, but still moving.

When I referred to the Owner’s Manual it states:

The start/stop system automatically switches the engine off when the vehicle is coming to a stop and when stationary’.

I can’t see any benefit from the engine switching off when the vehicle is still moving, but understood from the description in the manual that it was programmed to do this.

I now am in the habit of getting into the car, putting my seat belt on, starting the car, and pressing the button to deactivate the Start/Stop system (plus the 2 x steering wheel buttons to deactivate the Lane Assist function) every time I use the car (I like routines!), but activate the Start/Stop system if I know am going to be sitting in traffic.

#14 ·
That is a surprise as my MY20 there's a definite pause at stop before the engine stops. I can't imagine why they would have reintroduced that considering the grief they had last time.

You're saying it actually does this, not just the wording in the manual?

#15 ·
Hi Tricky2 – yes this does actually happen as detailed in the Owner’s Manual. The engine is switched off prior to coming to a halt.

I couldn’t see any benefit for this to happen, and initially thought that it must be a fault, but when I checked the Owner’s Manual it clearly states, ‘is coming to a stop and when stationary (page 110 of my Manual), so I accepted it had been designed to function this way (for whaterver reason?!).

#16 ·
I guess then and now the issue isn't so much if you do actually come to a stop, but rather if you do a very slow roll and then move off again. The car's stopped the engine, and all of a sudden you want it back. It must be them trying to count that few seconds rolling without the engine in the emissions stats just to bring the CO down.

#17 ·
In my 50 years of driving I have stuck with the principle of being in control of the vehicle at all times as a driver is supposed to be, something that steers you in the opposite direction to that which you are steering or switches the engine off without your input is a dire safety issue, as far as I am concerned.

#18 ·
Regarding the Start/Stop system, I find that where I live, I have about 4 junctions close to each other before I get to the main road, so the engine automatically switches off at each junction as I slow to a halt and then has to restart as I turn into the next road. This must add wear and tear to the components, and delays accelerating out into the next road whilst the engine restarts.

I now know as a rule of thumb (or sod’s law) that when I don’t want the engine to stop, it will stop, and when I am stuck in traffic (wanting the engine to stop to save fuel) the function is often automatically deactivated by the car, so I sit there with the engine running pondering the benefits of this system!

That’s why I routinely switch the Start/Stop system off at the start of every journey and switch the function back on when I want the engine to stop (with the added excitement of whether it will stop or not!).

The Start/Stop function sounds useful, but in reality, it don't believe it often achieves what it is designed to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.