Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether T Cross DSG is a wet or dry clutch. I had heard there were issues with a dry clutch 馃

Registered
Looks like the DSG transmission can have either wet or dry according to the VW press release - https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/dual-clutch-gearbox-dsg-3651

I vaguely seem to remember reading a while back that it was the 7-speed DSG which was wet and the 6-speed was dry, but I think all VAG DSG transmissions are now 7-speed (I may be totally wrong on that as I've never looked at a flappy-paddle transmission since a really clunky experience in a Fiat Stilo Abarth around 20 years ago which put me off them for life !!!)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Yes, I couldn't seem to find a definitive answer. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so need an auto, not had a DSG one before but OK with it so far, though prefer it in Sport mode. I believe it needs an expensive oil change after 4 years.

Registered
Reading that press release, it states that low torque engines have dry clutch and high torque engines have wet clutch..
I would guess that the 1.0 litre petrol engines are low torque , so dry clutch... I think only big engines, or diesels would have the wet clutch..
Incidentally neilmanc....modern auto gearboxes are brilliant, particularly so in heavy traffic, city driving.. You should try one.!

Registered
Hi Halin9, The gearbox in a T Cross is the DQ 200 which is a dry clutch unit and is used in all transverse engine applications. The control unit is housed in a separate oil filled section away from the clutch packs. There was a major recall of this gearbox for VW cars made prior to 2015. Subsequent items should be OK. Cheers John

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AussieJohn said:
Hi Halin9, The gearbox in a T Cross is the DQ 200 which is a dry clutch unit and is used in all transverse engine applications. The control unit is housed in a separate oil filled section away from the clutch packs. There was a major recall of this gearbox for VW cars made prior to 2015. Subsequent items should be OK. Cheers John
Pretty comprehensive reply, appreciated 馃憤

Registered
The 6 speed DSG units are usually wet clutch and the 7 speed are dry.

Registered
All T-Cross DSGs are dry clutch. Currently VW produce both a dry and wet clutch gearbox for transverse mounted engines. Lower torque engines such as 1.0tsi,1.2tsi,1.4tsi,1.5tsi and 1.6tdi all have the dry clutch seven speed. In other models with higher output engines such as 2.0tsi,2.5tsi or 2.0tdi you will find the 6 or 7 speed wet clutch unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.