Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching and there are mixed responses for this topic. I would appreciate your experience. Should you put DSG on N in a traffic stop or just leave it at D ? Which is better for wear and tear ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Leave it in D and, as in any gearbox with a clutch don't creep forward in traffic or at lights. The DSG still has clutch packs so keep slippage to a minimum. If you tap it into neutral it involves disengaging and re-engaging clutches and accelerates wear. Cheers-John

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
359 Posts
I asked at the dealer when I purchased it and was told to keep it in D.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Also depends whether you are using Stop/start.....if the engine is running and in D you have to hold it on the brakes, if you slip it into N , you can hold it on handbrake like a manual car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am pretty confused by this tbh. I did look at Honest John advice , Telegraph motoring guru, and his advice is to keep it in D and hold on the foot brake unless you can see it will be a longer wait- some light sequences involve a long wait, also road work lights etc. This is counter intuitive to everything I had been taught when learning to drive although that was 50 years ago! My son learned to drive 20 years ago and by then advice had changed and he was just holding the car on the footbrake at the lights. This is my first automatic so am still getting to grips with the slightly different technique, so I will continue to leave in D and hold on the footbrake, start stop does complicate things a bit……

·
Registered
71 Posts
Think of it like this perhaps

When stopping there is no need to touch the selector, with you foot on the brake the clutch(es) are automatically disengaged, lift your foot and one of the clutches will reengage.
With Start/Stop nothing changes, expect when you start to lift your foot off the brake the engine starts up first before engaging the clutch.

For day to day driving that is it (start/stop state of the engine can be fully ignored).

However, if you know you are going to be in a situation where you cannot, or do not want to, turn the car off but you are not going to be moving for a while ( other half just "popping into the shops quickly" etc) you can wait until the Start/Stop has stopped the engine and then you can put the selector into Neutral, apply the handbrake and lift your foot off the foot brake. The engine will remain off and the clutch disengaged. Reverse the process to drive off.

Sometimes the Start/Stop will not stop the engine for "reasons" (best reason I've seen so far is "Steering wheel turned to far" ...say what now?!), but you can still put the car into Neutral, apply the handbrake and lift your foot off the foot brake. You just do not need to (and shouldn't) move it into Neutral everytime you come to a halt.

In other words, the start/stop state of the engine can, as mentioned before, be fully ignored.

The start/stop does take some getting use to. I will never admit to getting out of the car and forgetting to turn it off because the engine was already off. Nope sir, never done that.... Nor have I unthinkingly reached down to press the Engine start button in a car park because the engine was off, only to fully go and turn the car off as it was already on.... Nope never happened... :?

The best way to deal with start/stop is to completely ignore it, it will do its thing, just leave it to it and forget about it. The only time I now interact with it is to turn it off when I'm in a situation where I'm going to be starting and stopping the car rapidly over a short period of time (like a very busy carpark, or a traffic jam) and I don't want the engine firing up every few moments, as I don't believe that it is doing the starter motor and/or battery a lot of good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for your feedback

·
Registered
66 Posts
This was an issue with old DSG models where the clutches would wear if kept in D while stationary/traffic lights so people were advised to put in neutral. Latest DSG models since early 2010 are a bit more clever in that it disengages the clutches when car is stationary in D. so you can just sit with your foot on the brake without problems. In cars with EPB like MK7 Golf is even easier as the auto-hold will keep brakes engaged so you can take your foot of the brake at traffic lights and the car does not go anywhere until you press the accelerator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I am getting the new t-cross next week, I plan to ask everything during the introduction meeting with dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts