Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

When at traffic lights or queueing I put the DSG in neutral to save wear on the gearbox but is that pointless when the Stop/Start turns the engine off?
Do I just leave it in D?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Yup, pointless, both from the fact that SS stops the car anyway, plus the transmission control module monitors the car, and when you're stopped on the brake it further decouples the clutch so the 'creep' stops. As you remove your foot the car readjusts the clutch bite to provide the 'creep'. It's constantly monitoring and changing the bite, it's not just the 2 states engaged or creeping.

I've been on the Tiguan forum for 6 years and members have cars going back to 2008, I've never heard anyone having to change the clutch plates on a DSG. I do know some early DSG's had some issues, but you're talking 10 -15 years ago.

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
377 Posts
I asked at the dealership when I picked the car up and was told just keep your foot on the brake, no need to go into neutral 👍

·
Registered
87 Posts
The thing to remember with all double clutch gearboxes is to minimise creeping in traffic. When you pull up behind another vehicle stop where you intend to finish, and not stop a couple of metres back and then creep up. You are effectively slipping the clutch and promoting wear. It's not always possible to do so in stop /start traffic. As Tricky2 and Digitalracer have said; don't disengage to neutral. Cheers-John

·
Registered
72 Posts
As Tricky2 and Digitalracer have said; don't disengage to neutral.
The only thing I would add to this is that if you know you are going to stopped for a little while, you can put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake and then take your foot off the foot brake. Doing this will not disengage the Auto Start/Stop ,o the engine will not automatically turn on again as it normally would if you lift your foot off the brake.

Which is nice. Obviously this has no bearing on the clutch plats in anyway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
glint.bladesong said:
As Tricky2 and Digitalracer have said; don't disengage to neutral.
The only thing I would add to this is that if you know you are going to stopped for a little while, you can put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake and then take your foot off the foot brake. Doing this will not disengage the Auto Start/Stop ,o the engine will not automatically turn on again as it normally would if you lift your foot off the brake.

Which is nice. Obviously this has no bearing on the clutch plats in anyway.
It's strange but when I learnt to drive I was always taught to put the car in neutral (albeit in a manual box) and apply the handbrake, e.g. when stopped at lights etc. Nowadays I feel like I'm the only person in a queue at lights that isn't sitting on the foot brake

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Agreed absolutely, but the main reason was to avoid wear on the clutch release bearing and pressure plate. If you learnt as far back as me, automatics were a rarity, but these days they are a very high proportion, mostly the automated manual dual clutch like the DSG.

Indeed the DSG in the cross is in fact 'drive by wire' the stick is only a switch. Discovered this early on when I mistakenly didn't move it all the way to drive, but only to N. Revved up and nothing, realised and moved the stick to drive, still nothing. Stick physically in drive but gearbox still in neutral. Realised i had to press the footbrake and move it back N then D to get it to go into drive. So the stick is just a switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.