Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my third week with the new t-cross 1.0 dsg. So far so good however I woul really appreciate help and tips regarding hill parking. My dad lives in an area whereby most of the parking available is on a slope and you need to park in reverse. I cannot master the reverse parking on a slope. The hill hold combined with DSG is not easy to master. A bit of throttle and it shoots, which obviously is an issue with tight spaces. Any tips on reversing on a slope to parallel park??..

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
I think this is what a lot of people do when new to the DSG. You think you need a lot of throttle to overcome the hill. A touch of throttle just to engage drive, it'll release the hill hold in around 2 seconds and it'll hold steady as anything but don't come back off the throttle. Then gradually squeeze a bit more and it will creep backwards smoothly.

What a lot of people do is to go on and off the throttle too exuberantly,

P.S. You don't really need to park in reverse, that's an ancient concept when handbrakes were poor, and also the DSG has a park position where it locks the transmission, so even without the hand brake it'll never roll away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for your reply. Unfortunately there is not other way to park in this particular slope :). However will consider your advice re smooth input :) . I am just afraid that I will do damage since with smooth input the engine and transmission do not feel happy (at least the impression I get)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Omg, never considered the reverse hill park scenario, new to a DSG, very happy so far, just hope I don't have to encounter this one. I know I can use the gears as a manual with the paddles but have not tried this and wouldn't really know how to!!!

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Manual isn't an option with reversing, there's only the one gear. However manual can help driving forward if you want to hold a gear longer (the Cross DSG tries to go through the gears as fast as possible) Yes you can use the paddles, these only really help to change down or up. It also reverts to automatic after a short period.

If you move the gear stick right whilst in Drive you switch to manual, and it'll stay in the gear you select. You can select with the paddles, left to change down, right to change up, but you can also use the gearstick. Back to change down, forward to change up, which feels more natural.

2 things to note.

1) even when in manual, if you slow right down or stop, it'll change down anyway

2) It won't change up automatically, so if 1 applies, and you pull away, be ready to change up or be screaming along in first gear! The engine limiter will protect the engine, but not your ears or embarrassment.

Move the gearstick back to the left to revert to full automatic.

It's handy if you want to crawl, keeping in first or second without changing up, to use manual mode. Also very handy if you want to pick up speed rapidly, but not floor the accelerator, to drop down manually by stick or paddles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you Tricky2, that is really useful to know and a clear explanation of the options.
Ps can anyone tell me how you can input the footer on your posts as to what vehicle you have?!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Click on your User name in the top right hand corner,
Select User Control Panel
Select Profile
Select Edit Signature,
Enter and save,
Hope this helps.
Regarding reversing on a slope with DSG, Tricky 2 has cracked it, If uncertain you could do an old fashion hill start with the hand brake until more confident. I'm sure putting it into reverse, a very gentle Rev, and release the handbrake will do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.