Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

so I know that the T-Cross has electric and not hydraulic power steering, however I want to truly understand if what I am experiencing is normal. I already had the steering column replaced under warranty due to a high clicking sound just 2 weeks ago. Clicking has returned again (when turning at low speeds eg parking etc.. it comes from steering wheel area). The other thing is that the steering feel/weight is not constant. I do the same trips and have the same traffic situation almost everyday. On some days it feels very smooth and light but on other days the steering feels heavier and more stiff Is this normal behaviour ? I understand that this should vary according to speed, however my issue is different in that even at low speeds and when parking (eg in my garage), some times its very light and smooth and sometimes it feels stiff and I need a bit more effort. There are no warning lights and it has already been twice to VW with no fault codes etc... they described my vehicle as in perfect working condition.

Tyre pressure is as per specification and I check it weekly.

Any feedback ?

• Sad
Reactions: AussieJohn

·
Registered
71 Posts
Musing to myself..... possibly low voltage causing it to cut out and back in when alternator decides to charge again? Maybe worth trying a full recharge of the battery and see if it does it then. I would expect stop/start to be fluctuating the same if this were the case though ( if you still have it enabled).

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
The clicking is worrying. Definitely not normal. The steering assistance relies on an angular sensor I believe near the top of the steering column. If this is not working properly maybe it's sometimes not 'asking' for the assistance required.

I've attached an explainer on the power steering I remember I found years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I phoned this morning again for another check. Your feedback will help me however.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The clicking is worrying. Definitely not normal. The steering assistance relies on an angular sensor I believe near the top of the steering column. If this is not working properly maybe it's sometimes not 'asking' for the assistance required.

I've attached an explainer on the power steering I remember I found years ago.
Thanks for this...much appreciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts