Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing issues with the engine cutting out at low speed and low revs in second gear. It happens mainly in very slow moving start stop traffic. I'm not sure whether it's stalling or the start/stop system causing it. It restarts when I put my foot on the clutch but is very inconvenient. I have the 115HP petrol engine with 6 speed gearbox. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi
Have same size engine and it's happened to me twice...kinda got caught unawares when it did... like you not sure if I was driving too slow or if was stop/start system.. will have to pay more attention next time when I'm driving slow..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I to have a T-cross 1.0 litre 115 engine which cuts out at slow speeds in 2nd gear, this is when I am driving up an incline or turning round a junction. I took the car in to the dealers with the problem, and on the test drive with me, the technician agreed something was not right. A different technician worked on the car and after his test drive found nothing wrong. On collecting the car I was told to drive in a lower gear which would be first gear and it is only a 1.0 litre engine what do you expect.
The SEAT Arona website is also complaining about this problem.
IT is a nice car but could not recommend a 1.0 Litre engine

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't taken mine in to complain about the cutting out perhaps waiting for someone to say there is a software fix for it. I can't say I'm surprised by VW's and dealers response given their poor customer service attitude. You've only got to look on the T-Roc forum to see how they are not dealing with kangaroo issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The wife insists on persevering with Stop Start and the result is she has stalled several times at least once resulting in a mini meltdown . Usually happens paradoxically in stop start traffic ,uphill when too close to car/bus in front so maybe the collision avoidance is coming into play as well?
Car has only cut out at a roundabout with me at the wheel on one occasion and that was more due to my unfamiliarity when it was new.
Engine loosening up nicely now .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have taken the car in twice to the dealer, on both occasions , the technician agreed that some thing was not right with the car, however in the report they said it was ok. It appears that the report is a form that just requires ticking.On a meeting with management they said nothing was wrong with our car as all the cars of 115 engine have this issue. It would appear VW are keeping this under wraps, as it would be a major cost exercise to put all right. At the meeting it was stated that in there opinion the gear ratios are not suitable in low gear,this could be correct as I have not heard of any 95 engines with the 5 speed gear box having this problem.
We are going away for a few days, on return we are getting a independent report and going through the motor ombudsmen.
This car was only nine weeks old when it was taken in the first time

·
Registered
78 Posts
If many of us have issues with this, I recommend filing a complain all together. I already contacted VW on Twitter and they gave me an email address for complains

·
Registered
13 Posts
We sent a letter of complaint to the VW Managing Director Uk. and our letter was passed to customer service officer Meera Chand on 01908547312. She was of the opinion that nothing was wrong with the car and it was up to the to dealer say that it had a fault.
I Have contacted the AA regarding a independent report and they passed me on to a company who specializes in this sort of problem.
Unfortunately we are away until the 15 JAN so it will not be able to take place until after this date.
Regarding having a joint complaint I think it is good idea,We where told it is only few that have or are concerned about this issue, yet our dealer will not register it has a fault because all the cars with 115 engine have the stop/start issues and it is part of the design of this engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thankfully I do not have this problem,I do have a DSG gearbox so wondered if this is happening mainly to cars with the manual gearbox. I previously had to reject a T Roc because of the Kangaroo problem VW will push the problem back to the dealers, but if the vehicle is within the first thirty days you can reject it and ask for a full refund, my T Roc went backwards and forwards until I wrote a letter and rejected the vehicle as not fit for purpose. Strangely the DSG models did not seem to suffer as badly.
There is a template letter that a T Roc member put on that website which I used to reject that vehicle. In the meantime I hope you can get a permanent fix. The act covering rejection is The Consumer Credit Act 2015.
Should add there were loads of TRoc 1.5 engine with the manual gearbox that suffered the problem and were rejected, the issue was also in the motoring press Honest John of the Telegraph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I am finding VW do not support the customer they push any problems back to the dealer saying they sold the car its there problem, yet it is obvious that this problem of cutting out is a world wide problem ,it is on the German forum, so we the customer are stuck in the middle.

The only way to resolve this if WV are going to ignore the customer,is all stand together and take out a class action lawsuit VW would not stand a chance with so many people with this problem including Sent cars,the damage to VW reputation would be in tatters. The problem is one person takes this on for all the complainants and it takes time.

Before long there will be a very large law suit against VW this problem is an accident waiting to happen.

Ford did the same thing some years ago and ignored a problem with one of their cars, there was a major accident involving a police car, it was proved that the error caused the problem and Ford were soon quick to pay up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just got my car today so here is my feedback from driving my first 30km with our new family member :)

Start/Stop enabled.
Approaching a red traffic light.
Engine stopped.
Light turned green.
Released the brake pedal and engine didn't start right away (there was a short delay)
Right after I released the brake pedal, I hit the gas.
The car responded "wildly" and gave me and my fiance a good kick. We both thought someone crashed us from behind - unfortunately it was that bad. It did remind me the good old times with my Toyota Corolla 96 when I was releasing the clutch too fast :D

I booked for a service appointment already on Tuesday next week to have it checked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine is auto and I've noticed it just twice since I've had the car when turning into my road with my foot on the brake but starts again the second I get back on the gas. So not really an issue for me. It hasn't happened anywhere else either.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.