Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, 1.0 TSI Manual Gearbox

I have 600kms on the clock and I have a humming sound in the background when the engine is idling hot.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
These engines do get noisier with time, mine is at around 15,000 miles at the moment and you can definitely hear it running at idle. When it was brand new you couldn't even tell it was running when idling unless you looked at the rpm on the dash. The 1.0 ticks over at around 1400 rpm at cold start then settles at 950-1000 rpm when running optimal temperature. This is normal for a smaller engine, they do rev a bit harder to compensate for the lower inertia of a smaller/lighter flywheel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Likewise - mine is around 8000 miles and noisier than it was new, but there's a definite odd squeak in that video that doesn't 'sound right'. Might be nothing - worth getting it checked.

Regardless it's a little corker of an engine - frugal (can get 50mpg+ on long runs) but enough grunt when you need it. I'd rather have the 1.5 just for the overtaking capability, but that wasn't an option when I bought mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have taken the car to the main service and the mechanic told that everything is OK with the engine. He admitted that there is an "odd squeak" but he said it is totally normal for a new 3 cyl. I then took the car to another service station and the mechanic there told me that it doesn't sound normal. I left the car for the diagnosis and I will post for any update.

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
377 Posts
I think you were lucky, left it could have led to complete engine failure. Good job you persisted 👍

Reactions: Hakan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Hakan,
Thanks for this post.
I had exactly the same sound on my March 2022 1.0 110 Tsi engine.
The car was making the sound upon collection new from my local dealership.
After investigation the dealer changed the timing belt and tensioners, and the problem was cured.
Maybe there’s a few faulty units coming out of the factory recently.

Your post was very helpful so thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts