Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :D
Every time I start my T-cross this message comes up, even after driving for a while this message will come on. Whether I activate or deactivate the start/stop function.
Had this problem form day one, only had the car for two weeks now with 350km on the clock. Any one else have this problem? The vehicle will be going to the dealer next week Wednesday.

Vehicle Car Gauge Odometer Speedometer

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Nope, that's not normal, good you're taking it back to the dealers, if you've had it from collection they should never have let it out like that.

FYI the start stop is generally silent and the only indication normally is the little curved arrow with or without a line through showing it's disabled. Had stop start on 5 VW's over the last decade and an error message is def not normal!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tricky2 said:
Nope, that's not normal, good you're taking it back to the dealers, if you've had it from collection they should never have let it out like that.

FYI the start stop is generally silent and the only indication normally is the little curved arrow with or without a line through showing it's disabled. Had stop start on 5 VW's over the last decade and an error message is def not normal!
Ditto on my T-Cross which is 4 months old - even when start/stop isn't working due to various conditions, there is no error message like this. Definitely needs to go back to the dealer. As Tricky2 said, if it was like that from day 1 it looks like the PDI hasn't been up to scratch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Angelique. I am also experiencing the similar issue with my VW T Cross. The dealer has indicated that they are awaiting feedback from the manufacturers.
Do you or anyone else on this forum have any feedback from the dealer to solve this problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris Chendriah said:
Hi Angelique. I am also experiencing the similar issue with my VW T Cross. The dealer has indicated that they are awaiting feedback from the manufacturers.
Do you or anyone else on this forum have any feedback from the dealer to solve this problem.

Thanks
Hi Chris.
According to the dealership , I start the vehicle to soon. See report - we need to start the ignition wait 2 - 3 seconds and then start the engine. Been doing this and sorted out the problem. When i forget to this , the same error comes back. Basically we need to give the time to "wake up" all the electronics before we start the engine.
Font Line Material property Paper Document

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Seems a bit weird - I've never had a car when you're expected to turn the key to ignition then leave it before turning more to start the engine, other perhaps than a diesel when it's cold and you need to let the glowplugs warm up

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
I agree it's a very weird diagnosis, further you don't actually start the car, you tell it you want it to start and it does it. I'll explain: With the stop start functionality, starting is given over to the SS electronics. Turning the key to the start position doesn't engage the starter, it signals the SS logic to start the car. This is how it manages stopping and starting by itself.

I noticed this first in a diesel, when cold the engine needs pre warming with little heaters called glow plugs. Used to be you wait for the glow plug light to go out then start it. My diesel with SS I'd get in, foot on brake, flick the key to start, then reach and put my belt on. Sometime during reaching and belting the car would start itself. Found exactly the same with the petrol Polo and now the petrol T-cross. A quick flick of the key and let it do it while your belting up.

The interesting line to me is just above the heading PRODUCTION CHANGE. Where it states the complaint is only present after a bus system silence. The car is full of control modules all talking to each other across a data bus, called the CANBUS. To me it suggests something is slow to come to life after it's been off a while and the canbus has fallen silent (the car electronics remain busy for a while after you've left the car) The fact the cause is still under investigation leads me to this being a work around rather than an explanation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A quick trawl on the internet and it is clear that VW are experiencing problems with their start stop systems across a range of their cars (TCross, Tiguan, and TRoc, Polo and Golf). I posted on a separate thread about my own problem with the engine switching off by itself even when start stop is disabled . It then fails to restart on a manual start unless I wait a few minutes . Again I posted on a separate thread that there is a class action against VW in the US. Today, returning from a short drive my T Cross again stopped the engine by itself on 3 separate occasions (approaching junction, on a corner on a hill, turning into my driveway). Could suggest that it a low speed that is triggering it - mine always seem to be preceded by a "turn engine on manually" warning appearing before it stalls - it knows it is going to cut the engine ! Something is definitely wrong with the programming here .

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/auto-news/engine-stalling-lawsuit-filed-against-volkswagen/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well spotted. I complained about this to the dealer very early on in my ownership of the car, which is now nearly 2 years old. I also started a thread on the German T-Cross forum and reported it to Honest John. Honest John did not dispute it but suggested that VW would ignore it, which they have, as it is an embarrassment and with little interest in rectifying it just like the kangaroo issues with the T-Roc. I don't understand why VW just don't issue a software update at servicing to rectify it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree it is nothing short of contemptable. These are the last diesel engines VW will produce - I wonder if that is informing their attitude. I drove a Mk 7 Golf which had stop start (traded in for the current TCross) and with some 90000 miles on the clock it never had a single issue with the stop start system. I am convinced that what we are seeing here is a software issue , possibly in inappropriate MCU profile - I've noticed that at certain times there is a very noticeable lag between accelerator input and any change in the rev counter. When driving, it feels like a dead zone. Don't get me wrong this is otherwise a great car which makes it even more bizarre that VW seem not to care to protect its reputation.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That sounds like some fob off excuse by VW to me..!.... If they say it is necessary to wait 2-3 seconds before starting the engine, presumably for all cars, then why do only a few have this problem.?.. I'm sure most owners don't have this problem and why are some cars cutting out at low speed and not all cars..!. If it was happening to my car, I'd want a replacement..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you suggest I do regarding the diagnosis? If I follow the instructions, there is no error. If I forget or I am in a hurry and just climb in and start the vehicle - then the error does come back - as per my first post.
Should I take the vehicle back?
Should I get a software update?
Any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Ok, looking at the km on your dashboard i'm guessing the cars pretty new. Whilst there is a VW technical bulletin on the issue so it is at least recognised by them, it doesn't help you. Several possibilities,

You can ask them to demonstrate several other similar models have the same behaviour, if they can't produce any others, you could go down the route of rejecting the car, asking for them to reorder a replacement, whilst you keep this until it comes in.

You could ask for an extended/ lifetime warranty on the SS system.

You could accept living with it in the hope VW will come up with a fix eventually. Nag them frequently and at every service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.