Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took advice and bought a Faraday bag to contain keys for my push button start R line after parking. However, the other day with my car keys sealed in this bag the car door opened easily and much to my surprise. So be warned, these Faraday bags are not foolproof!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had that experience witth faraday bag many times with my previous car with push button start and opt not to have it on my new t cross. Good to warn other push button owners the drawback of faraday bags and possible security issues with stop start.

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
359 Posts
Just received 2 Faraday pouches and they work. Large red ones labelled Defender. And they were £5 for 2, and will take a mobile and credit cards with police preferred specifications 😀

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's a T cross, not a highly desirable car for the scum thieves that inhabit this island.
They want S3s, Golf Rs etc...

I think you need a bit of perspective if you believe a faraday pouch is necessary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kugaman said:
It's a T cross, not a highly desirable car for the scum thieves that inhabit this island.

I think you need a bit of perspective if you believe a faraday pouch is necessary.
Nope. Round by me ('nice' area of Birmingham) they'll steal anything - fiestas, Fiat 500s. Plus yes, Golf Rs. I know this as our front door was kicked in for the Golf R keys. Not fun. So I wouldn't have a keyless car personally but if I did I'd have a crook lock on it. As it is, I have a crook lock on my T-Cross which has a key.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed thieves will steal anything...if they can get the keys....

However, we are talking about a specific type of theft here...... the type that needs a bit of know how and intelligence.

In this keyless signal capture theft, its almost always hot hatches or expensive luxury cars that are stolen.......they want them to either commit further crime and evade the police, or to strip for parts, or to export.....

A T-Cross isn't remotely desirable for any of these uses.

I was just trying to point out that we all get lured in to things like faraday pouches / metal key storage boxes etc.....when we should maybe stop and think about the real risk......the chances of someone trying to signal capture your keyless 1.0 litre T-Cross is pretty much zero....

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree to a degree with both sets of comments. As mentioned in certain areas of the country any new car is a target for thieves and you do need to take every precaution you can. I feel sorry for those of you who live in that situation, we were there when we were young and it's not a nice feeling.

Where we are is much safer and far less crime. I also feel confident having been unable to lock the car when my wife was a few steps away from me with the keys, that keeping them at the far side of the hall no one is going to capture the signal. I have however stopped leaving them on the window sill by the door or in the door lock, just sensible precautions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have SEL with some factory extras, but I didn't pay for the keyless entry/start which was an option when I was ordering.

But when I took delivery, it had keyless entry/push button start. The dealer said that Spec was changed and all t-cross now keyless.

Thought I'd mention as a couple of you say you're not having it on yours, but you might end up with it anyway like I did...?

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
359 Posts
That makes a mockery of having to pay extra for it. And folding mirrors was a cost option too, that definitely should have been a standard feature on SEL specification!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
This subject has been on another forum I'm in, and one thing that came out of that was, OK to use a faraday pouch, but a bit more of a deterrent was the use of a more visible deterrent was a clamp that fits round the steering wheel, that's fitted with a bar, which restricts turning the wheel. there not expensive highly coloured, normally bright yellow and takes a bit of work removing.
There are gangs that go in for highly priced cars, but the normal scum will target any car just for fun, then burn it out, to erase fingerprints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you may have just got lucky with yours, ours arrived yesterday and didn't have keyless.

Johnsmith said:
I have SEL with some factory extras, but I didn't pay for the keyless entry/start which was an option when I was ordering.

But when I took delivery, it had keyless entry/push button start. The dealer said that Spec was changed and all t-cross now keyless.

Thought I'd mention as a couple of you say you're not having it on yours, but you might end up with it anyway like I did...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
kristyw said:
Kugaman said:

Nope. Round by me ('nice' area of Birmingham) they'll steal anything - fiestas, Fiat 500s. Plus yes, Golf Rs. I know this as our front door was kicked in for the Golf R keys. Not fun. So I wouldn't have a keyless car personally but if I did I'd have a crook lock on it. As it is, I have a crook lock on my T-Cross which has a key.
Same round here, in some places thieves might not bother with certain cars but where I live, you'd need to be careful with just about any car you could possibly own. Most thieves don't care what it is as long as they can steal it, they're opportunists after all.

On the other hand, this is rather worrying about certain faraday pouches not working!

·
Registered
65 Posts
My issue was never about people stealing cars....its about the type of cars they steal.

T cross aint high on their list!

·
Registered
30 Posts
A friend of mine who lives 3 doors down, has a 2019 Polo GTI+ and has keyless entry. He came up and told me about his Faraday pouch, He's had the pouch (X2 second pouch as a spare) for about 3 months the one he uses that he carries around, has failed to protect!
He can have his keys in the pouch in his pocket and he's able to open the doors. Now he puts the keys in the second pouch and the doors won't open.
So those with faraday pouches, every now and again, check for yourself to see if the pouch is working correctly?
Can I say, the pouch worked perfectly up till this point.

Just a warning !!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
You can disable keyless entry, either permanently with coding through VCDS / ODBeleven / Carissa. (coding available if anyone wants)

Or on an each time basis, by locking the car with the keyfob, then immediately touching the locking point on the door. After 10 seconds the only way to open the car is with the keyfob unlock button. This clears on unlocking so it is really only when you feel it's necessary. This does work, I tried it today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts