Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if i have just been very unlucky or has anyone else had issues with the Goodyear tyres fitted to the t cross.
Perhaps they are made with a softer compound than some other tyres. I have had three punctures in two months.
As I ride motorcycles I know there can be a big difference in the rubber compound in different tyres. The Goodyear tyres are probably a tyre but with a softer compound I am not confident they will last that long either.

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello David - no issues on my T-Cross so far, but I did have 2 Goodyears on the front wheels of a Passat with no puncture/wear issues, so you may just have been unlucky. They didn't feel that grippy so when the rears finally needed to be replaced, I shuffled those to the back, and replaced with Michelins which were much better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine came with Pirelli’s on but I have also had 2 punctures in 2 months after previously 10 years with a Polo never having had one. I have the 18 koln alloys and wonder if that is having an effect. One of the punctures was hitting a pothole and damaging the side wall 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too have had a similar problem with my T-Cross fitted with Goodyear tyres, with 2 punctures to different tyres in 9 months.

Both punctures were each made by a screw penetrating the tread near the sidewall. These were irreparable leading to purchasing replacement tyres.

As the latest puncture was a front tyre which could not be matched, I have now had 3 new tyres (as I wanted matching front tyres) on a car less than a year old!

I was very surprised when the Tyre Pressure Loss System suggested a puncture after just a few months of ownership, and thought that it must be telling fibs, but when I got out to look at the tyres there was a screw sticking out of one, so it did know better than me, and prevented me from driving with a flat tyre.

I have had very few punctures over the years with other cars and thought it was just me – perhaps not?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don’t think you can blame the tyres for picking up screws or hitting potholes..! Just sounds like bad luck to me..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Blaming tyres for picking up screws in your tyres is highly improbable, if not impossible. Put it down to bad luck or karma for going without a puncture for so long. Let's be relevant for real issues. Cheers-John

Reactions: jaigee

·
Registered
28 Posts
Blaming tyres for picking up screws in your tyres is highly improbable, if not impossible. Put it down to bad luck or karma for going without a puncture for so long. Let's be relevant for real issues. Cheers-John
Agree over 27 months I picked up 3 punctures due to screws in my T-Cross shod with Continentals in a single 3 month period , luckily all repairable. No problems before or after ( touch wood).Was getting pretty paranoid.
Some car parks outside DIY premises frequented by builders and PVC fitters are minefields of discarded screws and nails.

Reactions: Halin9 and froug

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can confirm the GoodYear Efficient Grip from the T-Cross are a soft compound and they puncture very easy. I had a nasty puncture on a sunday night in Cornwall last year from a screw/bolt from one of those cat eyes when I was overtaking a lorry. The rear left wheel just lost all the pressure instantly and the hole was around 10mm in diameter so the tyre was a write off. Good thing I had a spare wheel in the boot to get us going otherwise with the gunk can VW provide would've been stranded there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts