Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month old DSG 110bhp t-cross with around 4700KM. Unfortunately over the past weeks I noticed that DSG performance is not consistent. Sometimes it's very responsive, hence as soon as you touch the gas pedal, even lightly you get an instant response, acceleration and driving feel, on other days everything feels very sluggish and it's like it is holding back with very delayed response and engine performance. Even gear changes are not consistent on some days

The same applies to steering, on some days it's very light and smooth and on other days it feels like there is more weight on steering. I mostly do the same route every day and I check tyre pressure almost weekly.

Any feedback ? I am booked with local VW dealership for the 3rd of March as they have a high backlog of work. Is it a case of DSG adaptation ? faults ? I do not get any faults or errors with either DSG or steering.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like it’s hanging the “ driving style” from “economy” to “sport” by itself..
Can you check under driver settings what mode it’s in..?
You aren’t selecting “ sport” on the gear selector by mistake sometimes..?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for your reply. No I rarely use S. It is always on D. I do the same routine everyday so it's not like I am doing something different on the good days.

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Why are you thinking gearbox, it sounds like the engine isn't responding, the gearbox will just follow the engine performance.

Strange that you're getting this with steering as well as it's electric assist, no engine involvement.

Nothing I've heard of quite like this, see what the garage says.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This doesn't sound logical to me. The steering, as Tricky2 says is electric, and it's unlikely it's behavior would change. As to the engine performance, it seems improbable as well; I can only put it down to inconsistent fuel being used. I would only recommend -as does VW- premium fuel of the highest octane. Keep well away from ethanol fuel. Dragging by the brakes is a longshot, but check that out too. Cheers-John

·
Registered
25 Posts
This doesn't sound logical to me. The steering, as Tricky2 says is electric, and it's unlikely it's behavior would change. As to the engine performance, it seems improbable as well; I can only put it down to inconsistent fuel being used. I would only recommend -as does VW- premium fuel of the highest octane. Keep well away from ethanol fuel. Dragging by the brakes is a longshot, but check that out too. Cheers-John
Unfortunately in the UK, the standard is E10, with super unleaded being E5 and only one brand offers no ethanol. The nearest one from me is quite a distance away.

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
OP whose raised this issue is not in the UK, from his name I'd guess maybe Malta, so poor fuel may be a factor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a similar steering issue in sport mode . Sometimes it’s heavier than usual . Tyre pressures ok . Beats me . Dealership says all ok . Gonna get tracking checked to make sure but I’m not convinced by the electric steering,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OP whose raised this issue is not in the UK, from his name I'd guess maybe Malta, so poor fuel may be a factor.
Hey thanks to all for your replies . I use 95 octane E5 unleaded. That is the only one we have in Malta. We also have 98 Octane E5, but I do not think it is worth the extra. Cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI All, so an update. I just got back from the VW dealership. They ordered a new steering column with regards to the steering issue. However with regards to DSG and performance they say everything checks out. I also went for a ride with one of their mechanics and they are right, everything was smooth today (one of the good days). So at this point they told me they will check again or monitor. I will see how it goes and probably tell them to check things out again when they replace the steering column. T-CROSS is 7 months old.

Reactions: Halin9

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in South Africa and have a similar issue with my 85kw 1.0 TSI DSG. At first I thought it was an issue with fuel quality but it seems that the drivetrain combo performs better in colder weather whereas on hotter summer days, it can feel very sluggish especially on take-off. It's Autumn now and my almost 3 year old vehicle feels very responsive and nippier in the cooler weather. The characteristic DSG jerk is also a lot less pronounced in colder weather.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for
I live in South Africa and have a similar issue with my 85kw 1.0 TSI DSG. At first I thought it was an issue with fuel quality but it seems that the drivetrain combo performs better in colder weather whereas on hotter summer days, it can feel very sluggish especially on take-off. It's Autumn now and my almost 3 year old vehicle feels very responsive and nippier in the cooler weather. The characteristic DSG jerk is also a lot less pronounced in colder weather.

yeah well VW dealership continue to say that the vehicle is in perfect working condition...we'll see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts