Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Infotainment system, I can see that it is possible to tether to a phone for internet / data access.

Does this actually do very much? From what I can see, when I am able to get it connected I get carnet. But not sure a lot of it is much use!

Also, on the We Connect app, I don't seem to have all the features others have mentioned (checking if locked, lights etc) and can just get a health report or send map locations.

Finally, does it mean the Sat Nav will be able to do live route and traffic guidance? So far I haven't really seen it alter routes within London for quicker times, which apple and google maps will do regularly. I would love to keep using the in built sat nav on my dashboard however it feels like the live maps are better in the city.

Overall, just trying to see what use the data connection has. The tethering doesnt seem all that automatic and needs set up each time. So wondering if worth bothering?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Drew

I've had a look at tethering my phone to the infotainment system but the only real value added that I can see is to allow you to use things like Internet radio and stream music, neither of which I use, and if I want to stream music I just use Apple Music from the phone which plays through CarPlay anyway - I assume if you wanted to use Tidal (which is included in WeConnect) you'd either need to tether or buy a VW data package for the eSIM. The other thing that you can do if you tether is to create a wifi hotspot in the car, so that passengers can latch onto it to watch videos etc on their devices if they don't have (enough) data on their devices - again this isn't something I need so I've never gone beyond looking at what it allows you to do.

In terms of the WeConnect app features, I can see doors open, lights on etc on mine. As far as I know the features you see on the app depends on the version of the infotainment unit - the most recent Infotainment version is MIB3 and is on the 2021 model year (which is what my T-Cross is), so if your car predates that model year then I'm afraid you're stuck with what you have. The easiest way to check I think is to look and see if there is a short white line in the middle of the display at the top (where the phone signal strength etc icons are) which lets you swipe down to see a quick access menu. May be worth logging onto the WeConnect web portal as well and seeing what you can see on there, and the other obvious thing (which I expect you will have done) is to update to the most recent version of the app (current version is 5.8.0)

I think I saw in one of the other posts that your T-Cross was an ex-demo that you'd bought but I may be imagining that - if it is an ex-demo it's probable that it is a 2020 model year version so won't have the enhanced WeConnect app features.

I don't have the VW sat nav on my car and just use Apple/Google Maps and Waze which give me everything I need. I don't think the VW inbuilt sat nav relies on having a data connection tethered to your phone but others more knowledgable about how the sat nav works will be able to clarify

Neil

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Yes, carnet has 2 parts, 'Guide and Inform' or 'Security and service'. Up until middle of last year all the Cross had was the guide and inform, pretty useless. It now has both, but as mentioned it'll depend on your head unit which functions you have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Is there anyway to upgrade to the new version or is it more complex than just the head unit?

I think even my maps and more in the Up had better connection than this!

·
Registered
127 Posts
As far as I know it is a physical hardware unit change rather than a software update so there isn't anyway of changing to the MIB3 unit

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it - what a shame! Feels a little pointless having the data connection function. And to be honest it's so fiddly getting the WLAN to connect seems not worth the hassle.

It's a real shame the sat nav doesn't connect. It's so much better having it as part of the active display… I'm hoping (likely futile) that they are able to do some kind of software update to include the car play sat nav into the dash. Unlikely… I know…

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with WeConnect App. My one no longer loads on my android 6 phone. Just tries and goes back to normal apps screen. I think the update was 24th March so may have stopped working after that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
DrewK said:
Got it - what a shame! Feels a little pointless having the data connection function. And to be honest it's so fiddly getting the WLAN to connect seems not worth the hassle.

It's a real shame the sat nav doesn't connect. It's so much better having it as part of the active display… I'm hoping (likely futile) that they are able to do some kind of software update to include the car play sat nav into the dash. Unlikely… I know…
Not sure what you mean about the sat nav not connecting - Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will echo the app map view from the phone on the Infotainment unit (Waze / Google Maps / Apple Maps etc) then relay the turn and distance instructions onto the instrument cluster in the middle (between the speedo and rev counter). Having said that I just have the standard instrument display so not sure what the active display does when you connect a phone via CarPlay etc

·
Registered
127 Posts
acvw said:
Has anyone had a problem with WeConnect App. My one no longer loads on my android 6 phone. Just tries and goes back to normal apps screen. I think the update was 24th March so may have stopped working after that.
It's very flaky, though I'm not having that issue (though I'm on iOS so can't comment on the latest update on Android). I had a couple of days where it wouldn't login in (FaceID didn't work and entering the email address and password just returned an error) - I contacted VW WeConnect support and they suggested (without actually admitting) it was a problem at their end which was now rectified.

My biggest issue with it is "ghost" status where it says the car is unlocked, doors open etc when that's definitely not the case, also the parking position function seems very hit and miss and around 25% of the time it doesn't show any location for the car when it is parked.

May be worth removing the app, clearing out any data from it on the phone and reinstalling if you haven't tried that already ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
neilmanc said:
DrewK said:

Not sure what you mean about the sat nav not connecting - Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will echo the app map view from the phone on the Infotainment unit (Waze / Google Maps / Apple Maps etc) then relay the turn and distance instructions onto the instrument cluster in the middle (between the speedo and rev counter). Having said that I just have the standard instrument display so not sure what the active display does when you connect a phone via CarPlay etc
I didn't know car play directions made it to the analogue cluster - nothing gets to the digital one from car play annoyingly, no directions, no song info, nowt. Which is a bit disappointing but I'd imagine they just haven't opened up the API to their software. Would be a risk of it failing / being abused I'd imagine.

But with the slightly left seat facing info display, it's a little annoying for Google maps or waze.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you cycle through the menu options using the controls on the right hand side of the steering wheel which control the display between the speedo and rev counter (where the digital speedo usually sits by default) you get (and I can't remember them all in order) Driving Data, Phone, Assist Systems, Vehicle Status etc (I think it also shows a Music menu which shows the track from Apple Music but can't remember off hand). When you programme a route in using Apple Maps via CarPlay (can't comment on Android Auto but assume it is the same) then you get a new menu for Navigation which shows arrows and things like "turn left in 300 yards"; "take the next exit", etc etc) between the speedo and rev counter. This is the default view when you programme a route in and if you want the numerical speedo back you have to cycle back to Driving Data again.

I've never seen the Digital instrument cluster but if the head unit sends data to the menus in the analogue instrument cluster you'd assume it must also do it to the digital one.

PS : never noticed there was any angle of the head unit to the passenger side (in the UK) - if there is, it's been so slight that I've never spotted it !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.