Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons for choosing the T Cross was having the screen nicely located within the dashboard. I just don't fancy cars with what, in my opinion, have what looks like an ipad superglued to the top of the dashboard.
Might be interesting to hear other people's opinions 馃

Registered
My view is exactly the same. The other car I looked at before buying the T-Cross was the Ford Puma which has the screen stuck on top like an afterthought. My Mum has a Ka Plus which is the same and it looks really cheap in my opinion. Surprised that marques such as Audi, Mercedes etc can't design the screen into the dash.

Reminds me when I first saw a Rover SD1 as a kid when it looked like someone had forgotten to install any instruments and glued a rectangular box with all the dials etc on top of the dash

Super Moderator
I Third that opinion! I also think it looks like a tacky afterthought.

Registered
I agree; one of the things that really bugs my wife, and by extension therefore me, is the non integrated screens. It was the deal breaker in buying a T Cross over other makes. Great to have positive comments.-Cheers-John

Registered
Absolutely the same thing here. My wife has a Peugeot 208 (2020 model) and I HATE driving that car because of this tablet thing. I always turn it off, but it's the only way to control the AC. And the rear view mirror is so low that I can only see the legs of pedestrians when they are crossing the zebra in front of me. Toyota Corolla is the same. You see a tablet, a mirror and a tiny strip of the road in front of you. In contrast the T-Cross has absolutely great front visibility for such a small car. My previous car was Peugeot 607. Drove it for 10 years and I didn't believe I can drive a compact car again until I did a test-drive of the T-Cross. Bought it on the spot.

Registered
The screen position is OK, but I find my self taking my eyes from the road to arrange something on the screen. 3 seconds are enough to crash. We have to be very careful. Especially when I type to find someone on the phone menu, danger is increasing. It's a trend.... but finally I find knobs heavy consoles to be more secure.

Registered
CPPGR said:
The screen position is OK, but I find my self taking my eyes from the road to arrange something on the screen. 3 seconds are enough to crash. We have to be very careful. Especially when I type to find someone on the phone menu, danger is increasing. It's a trend.... but finally I find knobs heavy consoles to be more secure.
If you're using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, you can just use the voice control to call people/send messages. No need to be typing while moving.

Registered
CPPGR said:
That's a really important point. I've said for a few years that driving a car these days is more like driving a computer on 4 wheels, and I feel that some manufacturers have lost the focus that the key reason for a car is to drive it safely without distractions. When I was looking at options before I bought the T-Cross, some of the cars were just ridiculously over-complicated, even for someone tech-savvy like me and even doing basic things (turning heating etc on) required using the touchscreen system. The worst that I looked at was the Peugeot 2008 which was a triumph of features over usability.

To be honest though, there is no reason to be using the head unit to be making calls. Any phone connection between the car will let you use voice dialling, and I pretty much use Siri for everything I might need to use the phone for if I really have to use it whilst driving - though having said that I tend to work on the principle that the call can wait till I get to my destination safely to make rather than risk my and other road users safety whilst being distracted at the wheel with a call.

Super Moderator
neilmanc said:
To be honest though, there is no reason to be using the head unit to be making calls. Any phone connection between the car will let you use voice dialling, and I pretty much use Siri for everything I might need to use the phone.
To be clear Any iphone connection, you don't get this on android phones.

Registered
Tricky2 said:
neilmanc said:
To be honest though, there is no reason to be using the head unit to be making calls. Any phone connection between the car will let you use voice dialling, and I pretty much use Siri for everything I might need to use the phone.
I thought a basic Bluetooth connection allowed you to use voice dialling on any car ? Hadn't realised Android Auto was so basic

Registered
F1George said:
CPPGR said:
If you're using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, you can just use the voice control to call people/send messages. No need to be typing while moving.
The thing is that when you live in another country like I do (Greece), you can't pronounce in English your phone address list. In Greek the system can't recognize them.

Super Moderator
neilmanc said:
Tricky2 said:
neilmanc said:
I thought a basic Bluetooth connection allowed you to use voice dialling on any car ? Hadn't realised Android Auto was so basic
Not android auto there, it's the fact you have siri on iphones, there's no equivalent on android phones. You want to call someone, you pick from the list, you can't ask the phone to call for you. OK i'll concede ( :) ) that it's one way iphones are better than android, but I don't like the idea the phones listening to you the whole time.

Registered
Androids have Google assistant (which is miles better than Siri). I make calls, play Spotify playlists, navigate to destinations all using Google assistant. Just hold the voice button down on the wheel and it'll activate.

You can even play trivia games with it while driving...

Registered
F1George said:
Androids have Google assistant (which is miles better than Siri). I make calls, play Spotify playlists, navigate to destinations all using Google assistant. Just hold the voice button down on the wheel and it'll activate.

Definitely not the place to get in to the Apple vs Android debate :D

Registered
neilmanc said:
F1George said:

Definitely not the place to get in to the Apple vs Android debate :D
Not a debate, was simply correcting misinformation (though I'm sure I could have left my opinion out!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.