Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahead of collecting my T-Cross I am starting to think about security..

As I have added KESSY to make my car the same as the wife's SEAT to avoid confusion, I have been researching it.

It appears that on early systems the key fob continually transmits a signal.
This is how car thieves take advantage and use cheap relay kit to pick up and retransmit the signal to open and start cars.

Because of this, a whole range of aftermarket 'Faraday' bags and boxes are available in which the keys can be stored and which shield the transmissions.

However, I have been reading on the Skoda forums that a new modified KESSY key fob is available from MY2019 cars onwards.
This modification involves a movement detector inside the key fob, which only causes it to transmit when moving, hence the key fob stops transmiting when inside the house. This stops the relay system being used to steal the car and seems like a very sensible improvenent.

So my question is, does anyone know if this improved KESSY system is fitted to the T-Cross, as I am unable to find out this information ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I did ask the sales person if the KESSY on the T-Cross came with the latest mention sensor to improve security, he assured me it did, however always take what sales people tell me with a pinch of salt until I can verify facts.

The car I test drove had it but not convinced it's worth the month, there are other upgrades I would choose over this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TR7_Driver said:
I did ask the sales person if the KESSY on the T-Cross came with the latest mention sensor to improve security, he assured me it did
I was talking about this to a guy today who knows his RF Electronics..

He says it will be easy to test using spectrum anylser kit that he has.

Apparently any RF transmission will be easy to find, and we will be able to see if the key fob transmits all the time or only transmits for a period after it has moved.

When I get my car we will do these tests and I will let you all know..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
@greycross think our cars might be on the same boat! Have you been given any update on when it'll arrive in the UK? Fingers crossed it's soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Can't help technically but if you keep walking backwards whilst trying the fob you will know how far away in the house to keep the keys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Not sure the "city emergency braking system" will work for you when walking backwards with keyless fob! :D Would be useful though, could vibrate vigorously if you are about hit an obstacle on foot! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Oh I think he's on the same subject, just an interesting sense of humour..! I get it....the car comes with emergency braking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Halin9 - correct I was just being silly, can't help myself sometimes! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
greycross said:
TR7_Driver said:
I did ask the sales person if the KESSY on the T-Cross came with the latest mention sensor to improve security, he assured me it did
I was talking about this to a guy today who knows his RF Electronics..

He says it will be easy to test using spectrum anylser kit that he has.

Apparently any RF transmission will be easy to find, and we will be able to see if the key fob transmits all the time or only transmits for a period after it has moved.

When I get my car we will do these tests and I will let you all know..
Have you managed to test this out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
I tested this out and no they don't disable when left motionless, at least ours didn't.

I used a low tech test, I've a very private out of the way drive, so I left the keys on a caravan step beside the car and came back 20 mins or so later and without touching the keys I could still open the car.
 

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
Joined
·
360 Posts
Haven't used my car for a few days, tried to open and it didn't, so had to use the keyfob. The keys hadn't moved for a few days so perhaps Kessy is up and running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Tricky2 said:
I tested this out and no they don't disable when left motionless, at least ours didn't.

I used a low tech test, I've a very private out of the way drive, so I left the keys on a caravan step beside the car and came back 20 mins or so later and without touching the keys I could still open the car.
Ok, having read on the T-Roc forum about MY21 changes reducing the inactivity time I decided to check this as I may not have given it enough time.

So, I laid the keys on a caravan step close to the drivers door and tested that they were detected where they were by locking and unlocking the car.

Then I left them and went off to lunch, 20 or so minutes. When I came back the car would not open for me with the keys still in the same place. After picking up the keys the car then opened again.

So my conclusion is the T-Cross kessy DOES have the keys switching off when they've not moved, from the note on T-Roc changes this may currently be 15 minutes.

View attachment 560
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Tricky2 said:
Tricky2 said:
I tested this out and no they don't disable when left motionless, at least ours didn't.

I used a low tech test, I've a very private out of the way drive, so I left the keys on a caravan step beside the car and came back 20 mins or so later and without touching the keys I could still open the car.
Ok, having read on the T-Roc forum about MY21 changes reducing the inactivity time I decided to check this as I may not have given it enough time.

So, I laid the keys on a caravan step close to the drivers door and tested that they were detected where they were by locking and unlocking the car.

Then I left them and went off to lunch, 20 or so minutes. When I came back the car would not open for me with the keys still in the same place. After picking up the keys the car then opened again.

So my conclusion is the T-Cross kessy DOES have the keys switching off when they've not moved, from the note on T-Roc changes this may currently be 15 minutes.

Capture.JPG
Thx for checking again!
 

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
Joined
·
360 Posts
And thanks from me too for the verification, it had been a grey area with no definitive answer 👍
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
My other half just picked up her 1.0 TSI SEL with KESSY today from factory.

Is she likely to have the modern version mentioned where the key will go to sleep after a period of inactivity?

For the spare, thinking of taking the battery out but am worried this might interfere the with sync if there is such a thing.

Any advice would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Is her car new or 'pre loved', if new definitely. I'm not sure if the cross has always had it as it's not been out very long so released since the newer keys came in the scene.

I wouldn't remove the battery, you'd have to resync the key afterwards, and long term I'm not sure if it would forget the ignition transducer. If it doesn't have the 'sleep' function you can always keep it in a shielded tin or faraday bag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Despite being told otherwise by the dealer:--

My new SEL keys definitely turn off when left motionless, I tried them on the car wheel for 15 minutes (it is raining now so my experimentation to find out how soon that happens will have to wait) and the car would not unlock until the keys were rattled.

ALSO

You can disable the key less system temporarily by locking the car with the key fob button and immediately touching the lock sensor on the handle. You will need to unlock the car with the key fob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
you should be ok removing the battery. Had done this in my GTI and never had issues with the second key. As soon as you put the battery in you can unlock/start the car with it just fine. Regarding key going to standby after a period of inactivity that is true. To bring keyless functionality back you will have to unlock the car with the unlock button first. This also happens if you keep the key in a faraday bag for long as it blocks the signal with the car.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top