Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me but I find that on low speed driving my dsg box changes up rapidly , like it's in 6 th at 30! I get vibration sometimes through the car at low speeds . The only way I get round this is put it in Smode at low speeds which I think mirrors more like a manual change and I get no vibrations at all
Just wondered am I alone in this or is it due to only doing 118 miles so far in it ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't got the drive mode selector installed I don't think (it's an optional extra I think)but I have seen eco mode flash on the active info display sometimes .havent got a clue what that means

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree, its programmed to go through the gears as fast as possible. If you drive gently, you get to 6 really quickly. However if you give a bit more acceleration it will hold them longer. Halin9, maybe you're a bit more enthusiastic then some of us :)

The eco flashing up I mentioned elsewhere, but it means you are switching into coasting, where the gearbox 'dips' the clutch. You'll also see the gear display switch from D+number to D on it's own, and the revs fall back. You have no engine braking qt this point. You can resume engagement by accelerating, braking, or if you have steering wheel gear paddles, flicking downchange. It doesn't switch to manual in this instance, just reengages drive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers tricky2 I'll give it a bit more throttle but it's not easy in a 30 zone . I guess it's a matter of getting used to it . I also think I need to brake a bit harder as in gentle braking it takes an age to drop down the gears

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
360 Posts
I agree, driving in D it definitely changes up too soon. I tend to use Sport other than when on a long stretch of road. I believe the gearbox does adjust a bit learning your driving habits. Maybe it would help to lend it to Lewis Hamilton for a week 😁

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't have the "coasting " thing on mine (2019) ...however I do have the driving mode selection... I think it's standard on the SEL..?. If in Eco, it definitely changes up quicker than in Normal, and when in Sport, it holds onto the gears for longer still..!
If you have an SEL, check under settings..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, someone mentioned coasting was added to 2020 models. I've an Rline and that hasn't got driving modes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
After reading a lot of comments on the coasting thing, I think it's only available when you have the Driver Profile Selection package, and it should prefer to coast more (or always?) when the profile is set to Eco. Even though mine is a style trim (the highest in EU) and with R-Line package, I don't have the Driver Profile Selection feature and mine never coasts.

And on topic, yeah the DSG really likes to shift early to conserve a few drops of fuel. I think there's nothing wrong with that, I just wish they worked a little bit more to counter the vibrations. There's nothing you can do apart from driving a little bit more aggressive, or switching to S.
I don't think the DSG has long-term "learning" like older automatic gearboxes. I find this to be an old and flawed concept. The DSG does a lot better job to react to what's currently going on (position of throttle, whether you are on incline/decline, whether you are decelerating from hard acceleration). I have found mine very predictable (and I have driven it a lot) and always reacting consistently in the same circumstances.

What I don't like at really low speeds is when it suddenly downshifts from 2nd to 1st because it's usually very harsh. Also I had few cases of kangarooing in the 10mph range few times. I thought only the 1.5 TSI model is affected by this, but apparently it's not an engine issue.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tricky2.... If you have an R line then you will have driving mode selection.. It's in the dash selections under car settings I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jacket said:
After reading a lot of comments on the coasting thing, I think it's only available when you have the Driver Profile Selection package, and it should prefer to coast more (or always?) when the profile is set to Eco. Even though mine is a style trim (the highest in EU) and with R-Line package, I don't have the Driver Profile Selection feature and mine never coasts.

And on topic, yeah the DSG really likes to shift early to conserve a few drops of fuel. I think there's nothing wrong with that, I just wish they worked a little bit more to counter the vibrations. There's nothing you can do apart from driving a little bit more aggressive, or switching to S.
I don't think the DSG has long-term "learning" like older automatic gearboxes. I find this to be an old and flawed concept. The DSG does a lot better job to react to what's currently going on (position of throttle, whether you are on incline/decline, whether you are decelerating from hard acceleration). I have found mine very predictable (and I have driven it a lot) and always reacting consistently in the same circumstances.

What I don't like at really low speeds is when it suddenly downshifts from 2nd to 1st because it's usually very harsh. Also I had few cases of kangarooing in the 10mph range few times. I thought only the 1.5 TSI model is affected by this, but apparently it's not an engine issue.
Hello, a few comments about your post :

• I don't have the driver profile selection option on my T-Cross but I see the "Coasting" indicator flashing on the dash from time to time while driving, soI'd say these are not related
  • Regarding the DSG maintaining highest possible gear, the vibrations are especially noticeable on the 3-cylinder engine variant. While it's legitimate for VW to try to maximize fuel saving at all cost, I don't like to have the engine in such low revs and so I personnaly use the Sport mode most of the time, which keeps the rpms in the sweet spot ( ie : between 2000 - 3000 rpm for the 3 cyl / 115bhp variant, where the torque is at it's maximum). On the bright side, the Sport mode also uses a more effective engine braking behaviour
  • Regarding the switch from 2nd to 1st gear, I don't think I've ever witnessed it ( even at very low speed, the DSG never goes below 2nd gear ), so I'd be curious to know in what circumstances you've noticed this

:cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i agree craymore .i dont have driver profile and theres a big hill locally and when i go down it ,with no throttle the car coasts and it says eco on the dash ,
yes the vibrations bloody annoying ,i tend to drive in s in low speed limit areas and only put it in D when im going over 45 mph .
its a pain though and its the only fault i can find with this car with the dsg gearbox
maybe vw may address this at a later date with a software update ,basically the car shifts up in gear in drive too quick and yes you can kickdown to a lower gear but not in towns ,still ive only had it a month or so so im still coming to terms with the dsg

·
Registered
8 Posts
@kevin53 : I you check the engine power / torque curves ( see image hereafter ) , you can see which range(s) are suitable

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

NB : this is only for the 3cyl / 1.0L variants

• the torque is at its maximum from 2000 - 3500
  • when in D mode, the engine's rpm is often around 1500 when the speed is low / moderate, which means you got ~ 70% of the torque that's available at 2000 ( no surprise the engine vibrates ... :? )
  • the maximum power comes at 5000, but I've gone this far ( in fact, I rarely go above 3500 )

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar irritation with my 1 year old 5,000 mile 1.0 DSG, there is a low frequency vibration between 1400 to 1800 rpm particularly when driving uphill. I didn't get this from my TRoc 1.5 with DSG. Switching to S mode takes the revs higher and eliminates the vibes. My dealer tells me that this is an issue with the model on some cars/owners but VW currently do not have a fix. Anybody heard any different?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Can't say i've ever noticed any vibration with our Cross. Must be just lucky.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am experiencing this as well... going into my third month with the t-cross. I actually asked the supervisor at the dealer and he told me that I just need to give it a bit more 'gas' on the accelerator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was interest to read your post Kevin53, and thought that I would compare how my 2021 1.0TSI DSG was behaving (This is my first DSG and I have always felt that it changes gear as I would choose to with a manual gearbox).

Under gentle acceleration these are the earliest indicated speeds the geabox changes gear to in 'D' mode:

2nd 4 mph
3rd 15 mph
4th 20 mph
5th 26 mph
6th 34 mph
7th 45 mph

It feels comfortable, without vibration, so unsure as to how the gearbox behaviour would vary between models of the same spec?

I hope you manage to make some progress with this problem.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's designed to change up quickly, to quickly get to the most economic combination. However this does vary with how you drive it. As you say, under gentle acceleration you get the early change points as you report. Drive more firmly, it will hold them longer. Or you can switch to sport, and it'll hold them a lot longer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts