Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner

NAIL IN TYRE

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Jonblue 
#1 ·
I have been driving around for a couple of weeks now with a small nail firmly embedded in tyre wondering whether to use the Tyre repair kit that came with the car. Had a chat with an AA repair chap who strongly advised against using this kit as when you eventually took tyre to garage it would prove irreparable as kit solution made it impossible to clean tyre properly and most garages would say -- you need a new tyre mate! He advised I keep nail in tyre and go to a garage for a permanent repair ie not using kit. Common knowledge to many here I guess but news to me but thought to share.

R line DSG 115 in Makena Turquoise
Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

#2 ·
I thought I read similar that using the kit would stop being able to repair it, but think other sealants are possibly available that don't contaminate the tyre. Had a repair kit on my previous car and noticed that the repair stuff in the kit had a use by date of 3 years!! (though it wasn't mentioned at the time of purchase!!).Glad I opted for the spacesaver this time.

#3 ·
Yes Digital racer, the AA technician said there were better gel like repair kits around which were easier to clean off tyre body but he warned against most of the kits supplied with car. Would you mind telling me how much you paid for your spacesaver and where did you get it? I have a problem with my R line I think as the Beats sound system box in boot makes it difficult to fit a R line spacesaver as has bigger wheels/tyres -- which of course VW failed to mention!

Incidentally, he thought the T Cross was a great little car!

Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

#4 ·
I specified the spacesaver as a£115 option when I ordered. When I bought my Volvo I queried no spare wheel and the salesman said "How often does anyone get a puncture these days, very rarely".
I had 3 during my ownership, a split on the way to the way to the airport, and 2 others, both after 10pm and all unrepairable with sealant!! Hence my insistance on a spare. Glad your AA man liked the T Cross, I'm really happy with mine nearly a year on.

#5 ·
I have just looked on T Roc forum and somebody has posted a pic of the beats fitting inside their spare wheel via a quick release plug. Hopefully that may be of some help.

#6 ·
Jonblue said:
Yes Digital racer, the AA technician said there were better gel like repair kits around which were easier to clean off tyre body but he warned against most of the kits supplied with car. Would you mind telling me how much you paid for your spacesaver and where did you get it? I have a problem with my R line I think as the Beats sound system box in boot makes it difficult to fit a R line spacesaver as has bigger wheels/tyres -- which of course VW failed to mention!

Incidentally, he thought the T Cross was a great little car!

Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera
A space saver will fit in the boot alongside the Beats box, I have one.

#8 ·
Car had first service yesterday and I had nail removed -- too small to cause damage fortunately! Found a good small Independent garage streets ahead of main dealer (from whom I purchased car). Service £50 less with courtesy car which main dealer did not offer - due to Covid! Very customer focussed outfit - now awaiting a quote for a space saver tyre.

Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.