Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm thinking very seriously of changing my Polo GTi+ for a T Cross. The Polo is a brilliant car, but probably wasn't the best choice for someone who does 90% of their driving in London, plus a monthly 150 mile round motorway trip. I'm attracted by the T Cross' smallish footprint, height, ease of loading (I regularly carry a drum kit) and generally decent reviews. I'm looking at a 1 litre SE or SEL, preferably with DSG. What are people's experiences with this model? Does the DSG work well with this engine? Has the interior stood up well - lots of reviews mention the cheap feeling interior, but the SEL I viewed seems pretty decent - the seats in particular looked impressive. Can the car be retrofitted with a spare wheel etc. if necessary?

Sorry for the rather basic questions, I'm just trying to get a feel for the car from people who own one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an SEL which will be two years' old in October. Overall, very happy with it. The seats and general interior have held up well and show no signs of wear. It's the 115 PS engine with DSG which is great, either around town or on a longer run.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I too have a 2 year old SEL. DSG 115 ...the engine a gearbox work great together and it is excellent in traffic, town driving.
Mine has an upgraded interior, which came with a pack including upgraded wheels, and I'd excellent, looks good and no wear...definitely worth considering imo...
A spare wheel can be bought later but is cheaper with a new car order...also go for the rear view camera..
Good choice for both town and motorway driving..

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
380 Posts
Jonesy said:
Hello. I'm thinking very seriously of changing my Polo GTi+ for a T Cross. The Polo is a brilliant car, but probably wasn't the best choice for someone who does 90% of their driving in London, plus a monthly 150 mile round motorway trip. I'm attracted by the T Cross' smallish footprint, height, ease of loading (I regularly carry a drum kit) and generally decent reviews. I'm looking at a 1 litre SE or SEL, preferably with DSG. What are people's experiences with this model? Does the DSG work well with this engine? Has the interior stood up well - lots of reviews mention the cheap feeling interior, but the SEL I viewed seems pretty decent - the seats in particular looked impressive. Can the car be retrofitted with a spare wheel etc. if necessary?

Sorry for the rather basic questions, I'm just trying to get a feel for the car from people who own one.
I think, when some comments refer to cheap interior, they refer to the dashboard and doors which are a hard plastic, but the SEL seats and carpets and trim wear well.
Very happy with my car, performs well, is economical and perfect size for manoeuvrability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. What's confusing me now is that all the new or almost new ones I've seen state the engine, with DSG produces 110ps? I thought they were either 95 or 115? I spoke to a main dealer and they didn't seem too sure if 110ps is now the norm.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Yes, 110ps now the norm. It's believed it's down to tighter emissions. Disgraceful the dealer doesn't know!

·
Registered
36 Posts
How's the dsg in a traffic jam ? do you just leave it on D and keep your foot on the brake ? as I thin kthat constant changes from D to N will increase wear and tear

·
Registered
76 Posts
theMalteseGuy said:
How's the dsg in a traffic jam ? do you just leave it on D and keep your foot on the brake ? as I thin kthat constant changes from D to N will increase wear and tear
If you use the ACC then if the traffic is moving (even very slowly) I just keep my hands on the wheel and the car manages the rest. If the traffic comes to a halt the car will stop by itself and give you about 5 seconds to put your foot on the brake, when the traffic starts moving again, lift your foot off and the car will take over based on what the car infront is doing.

If you are driving with the ACC off then just leave it in D and brake when required.

Honestly, since owning the T-Cross I have come to use the ACC more and more and more, barely even need to look at the dash when setting it anymore, left thumb just reaches over and presses the + on the wheel a couple of times to get upto the desired speed, then taps "RES" and the car takes over. On the way to work on the freeway, regular traffic jams... the ACC handles it. On the way to school for pickups in 40-60 kmh zones... the ACC handles it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had my TCross for a bit more m than 12 months now, really happy with it. The DSG is great but can be overridden with the button shift on the steering wheel and your in manual gear change mode. To get back to auto, just pull the stickshift back a notch and your in auto mode. Dead easy. The only thing I would query is if you have enough space for your drumkit. You might have to drop the back of the rear seats to fit everything in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm very pleased with my 2-year old T-Cross SEL with DSG gearbox, getting 48 mpg on a 3500 round trip to the south of Spain with a full load. The adjustment to move the back seat forward a few inches is really useful to increase the boot space. As it is difficult to see the corners of the car, my essential specification included the electrically adjustable and folding door mirrors and a rearview camera. They are so valuable I will never have another car without them.
Question 1. Why don't manufacturers fit a dash-cam into the driving mirror?
Question 2. Can anyone tell me how to delete a flagged destination from the list of destinations in the navigation system. Any other destination is easily removed but I cannot get rid of the one and only flagged destination which is always at the top of the list.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my T-cross Evo just over eight months, great car and a smashing drive! Only my second ever VW , bought a second hand Derby in1979" The other day my wife came home from a shopping trip, she said to me, why does the little circled eco sign appear on the dashboard display, no idea love, I've never seen it! after a bit of investigating on the tinternet, I find out that the Evo engine (1.5) when certain conditions are met shuts down two of the cylinders and goes into eco mode, you live and learn 😀

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my T-cross Evo just over eight months, great car and a smashing drive! Only my second ever VW , bought a second hand Derby in1979" The other day my wife came home from a shopping trip, she said to me, why does the little circled eco sign appear on the dashboard display, no idea love, I've never seen it! after a bit of investigating on the tinternet, I find out that the Evo engine (1.5) when certain conditions are met shuts down two of the cylinders and goes into eco mode, you live and learn 😀
Yes, I think you may also notice the 2 cylinder mode when the instant consumption selected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts