Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
New 2021 T-Cross 1.5 TSI EVO SEL 5Dr DSG - Rear View Camera - Park Assist - Space saver spare wheel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Collected my new T-Cross last week and so far enjoying the experience except for the infotainment system and the instrument cluster displays. I mean I go through the menus but I just don't understand what most of the options mean, let alone whether I want to activate them or not. I sit in the car with the manual and try to work stuff out but at the moment I'm finding the whole thing rather overwhelming.

So I guess I'll just keep trying, but one thing I just can't crack and that is the lane assist function. I know what it is and I hate it when it starts to steer the car by itself. I've found it in the menus and have switched it off, but the next time I drive the car in comes on again. I can't find out how to deactivate it permanently. Does anyone know how to do this.
I mean I like the idea of delegating the choice of gear to the car, but I don't want to delegate the steering to the car - I wish to do that.

Anyway, apart from the complicated technology, the car drives beautifully smooth and quiet and I love the comfort and high ride height.
I will no doubt be back here in the not too distant future asking for some more guidance. I hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lane assist is probably the biggest gripe in these forums, many people do not like it (I kinda do), but as far as anyone here knows there is no way to permanently turn it off.
You can make the process quicker by using the buttons on the steering wheel, one of them on the left hand side is the Assist Button that allows quick access to the driving aids shut as steering assit, from there (I THINK) it is down arrow and then enter to disable the lane steering.

Someone else will I am sure correct me if I'm, wrong, but you can do it from the steering wheel in 3 button presses I think.

Reactions: AussieJohn

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
360 Posts
Welcome, still happy with mine after 2 years.
There is a recent post about pressing a button on the left side of the steering, then one on the right at the start of a journey which is what I use on none city runs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

Collected my new T-Cross last week and so far enjoying the experience except for the infotainment system and the instrument cluster displays. I mean I go through the menus but I just don't understand what most of the options mean, let alone whether I want to activate them or not. I sit in the car with the manual and try to work stuff out but at the moment I'm finding the whole thing rather overwhelming.

So I guess I'll just keep trying, but one thing I just can't crack and that is the lane assist function. I know what it is and I hate it when it starts to steer the car by itself. I've found it in the menus and have switched it off, but the next time I drive the car in comes on again. I can't find out how to deactivate it permanently. Does anyone know how to do this.
I mean I like the idea of delegating the choice of gear to the car, but I don't want to delegate the steering to the car - I wish to do that.

Anyway, apart from the complicated technology, the car drives beautifully smooth and quiet and I love the comfort and high ride height.
I will no doubt be back here in the not too distant future asking for some more guidance. I hope you don't mind.
You cant turn it off permanently. I get used to start up, press Assist button (left of wheel) press ok (right of wheel) and its unselected.

·
Registered
New 2021 T-Cross 1.5 TSI EVO SEL 5Dr DSG - Rear View Camera - Park Assist - Space saver spare wheel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone who answered my question. You all seem very clued up and knowledgeable.

Ok, so if I can't turn Lane Assist off permanently I'll have to resort to the startup procedure that's been suggested above. So thank you for that.

I was in the car with the manual again today and reading about Drive Modes. The manual describes the different drive modes like Eco and Normal, which it says is activated by a button in the centre console.

But when I look at the centre console - there is no button. Typical, just one more thing to confuse me. So I guess my car doesn't have drive modes then?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi there, unfortunately the manual covers all variations, so there are several features it describes that may not apply to your car.

Lane assist, there is another discussion on here, and it can be turned off permanently, but you have to buy a special coding device OBDeleven or Carista. (I've done it, and my wife, who's car it us, thinks it's great)

Short of doing that the 2 button disable is:

Left steering controls, bottom right button (looks like the car with brackets all around it) this brings up the assist menu in the middle display.
Right steering controls, middle button, OK

The assist menu comes up with lane keeping as the selected option, OK toggles it to off, and if you leave it, after 30 secs to 1 min, the screen reverts to whatever you normally have there.

Once you're used to this it becomes second nature.

Reactions: froug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I see - well thank you for the info Tricky2 and I think I'll adopt your 2 button method. I wouldn't know what to do with a thingamajig if I bought one anyway.
My next query is about the coasting mode, but before I ask, I'll read through the other posts on the forum and see if they can shed any light on it.
No wonder I couldn't feel any engine braking when I took my foot of the accelerator - the bloody things coasting. Well Well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The coasting drives me mad! Not because it does it, my volvo xc40 does it, but because it's so unpredictable. You can be driving the same road, same speed, lift off your foot it coasts, do it further on it just doesn't! There is a trick to blip or double blip the accelerator, that often but not always triggers it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Regarding ‘Coasting’ I completely agree with Tricky2’s sentiments.

The manual states:

Initiating coasting:

- Select the Eco driving profile from the driving profile selection menu

- Take your foot off the accelerator. The engine will be disengaged and run at idling speed. The vehicle rolls without the braking effect of the engine

However, it doesn’t always do it! I have tried blipping the accelerator (as Tricky2 mentioned), which sometimes works. It seems to always work if there is a slight down gradient in the road (which is fine), but also always works when there is a steep hill, so my T-Cross goes roaring down it attempting to break all speed limits! I know that touching the brake will re-engage the engine to provide some engine braking, but it seems a bit like the ‘start/stop’ system – both features always seem to work when you don’t want them to (or in the case of the Start/stop system doesn't work when you want it to).

I like the ‘coasting’ feature as I think that it saves fuel, so choose to have it switched on by having the ‘Eco profile’ selected, but I think that you have to get used to managing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts