Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using 205/60 R16 winter tyres for my T-Cross and I have noticed that every time I take a sharp left or right turn there is a noise at the front, like that the wheel touches the plastic inside. All the websites that I have checked say that 205/60 for 16 inches rim are ok for the T-Cross.
Have you experienced something similar? What tyres do you use?

·
Registered
65 Posts
What wheels are you using?

If the offset is wrong, the wheels may be nearer the hub and could touch the liner on full lock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kugaman said:
What wheels are you using?

If the offset is wrong, the wheels may be nearer the hub and could touch the liner on full lock.
Τhe offset cannot be wrong, since VW puts 215/45/18 as an extra

@ DrSaG

to be completely sure if your tyre touches plastic, you may see some kind of wear somewhere inside the dome or on your tyre.

·
Registered
65 Posts
??? What ???
Offset has nothing to do with tyre size!!

If you have bought none VW T cross alloys your offset could well be the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are right. I messed up with wheel width. Wrong wheel offset could be the reason for touching brakes or suspension or even the dome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
VW recommends offset ET35 with 16" wheels. I don't know how sensitive it is on T-cross, but I'll try to get as close as possible when I purchase winter tires. We're waiting for our blue T-cross GT 115DSG. Planned buildweek is w12 so planned ETA in Sweden is beginning of May. Will replace our Renault Captur.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My rims are ET38 so not a big difference. Can't be that huge compared to ET35.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Milu02 said:
VW recommends offset ET35 with 16" wheels. I don't know how sensitive it is on T-cross, but I'll try to get as close as possible when I purchase winter tires. We're waiting for our blue T-cross GT 115DSG. Planned buildweek is w12 so planned ETA in Sweden is beginning of May. Will replace our Renault Captur.
I am also in Sweden and all websites like gummihuset, däck365, dackonline, bythjul recommend 6.5Jx16 ET38. They can't be all wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DrSaG said:
I am also in Sweden and all websites like gummihuset, däck365, dackonline, bythjul recommend 6.5Jx16 ET38. They can't be all wrong.
With 6,5" is ET38 ok. Et35 is based on standard 6Jx16.

Below is the answer I received from my dealer when I asked:
"T-Roc GT så får jag följande rek enligt VW:
Fälgdimension: 6Jx16 ET35
Rek. däckdimension: 205/60 R16 92H, alt vill du ha 17" så gäller följande:

Fälgdimension: 6,5J x 17 ET39
Däckdimension: 205/55 R 17 91V"

·
Registered
9 Posts
DrSaG said:
Did you find a decent deal and which rim did you go for?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Milu02 said:
DrSaG said:
Did you find a decent deal and which rim did you go for?
I went for these rims https://www.gummihuset.se/Produkt/F%C3%A4lgar/Aluminiumf%C3%A4lgar/gh_edition/beat_black/6.5x16/25775/2557?searchParameterId=24812753
and the Nokian winter tires.

It did cost me around 9400:- including delivery to my door + montering. After a lot of searching that is the average more or less. U could save maybe a thousand if you go for some "uglier" rims :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Milu02 said:
I agree with you that black rims look nice. I'll order something similar. These are the winterrims I have on my other car. Screenshot_20200202-074503_Gallery.jpg
Sorry for the late response.
Are these the Dezent Black mat? They look nice!
To be honest, the black gloss on the rims mats perfectly with the T-Cross, I can upload a pic if you want.

UPDATED:
VW dealer asked me to book an appointment with them - they agreed that there shouldn't be any noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, Noise appeared on mine last week ... sounds like a broken wishbone and only happens sometimes when starting to go forward with wheels in turning position. Yet its not a wishbone as there is no noise when braking. My car has done 49000 kilometres.

Best guess is is a driveshaft or CV joint. Had a Bora 2.0 that consumed driveshafts like coke.....

Pull down sun-visor and drive at 60 mph - is it jittering with a forward and backwards movement? This can be a good indication of a failing driveshaft.

Mine is checked in under last days of warranty with this banging sound - which is only occasional - my guess is that they are going to say no problem found..... will post my DK dealers findings.

My April 2019 R-Line version has been PLAGUED with faults - at garage roughly every second month with something serious... frozen and damaged, mirrors, failing cam shaft sensors, light assist fault, window elevator failure front left side, water in boot, fuel injector failure at 80 mph on motorway causing havoc - luckily no accident, steering wheel leather bobbled up... all this happened on a new car.

considering dumping this car back to garage and walking away from contract - possible under danish law within the first two years - just loose my deposit and repayments.

Am in the process of writing to Wolfsburg asking if this is what one can expect from VW in 2021 as the danish dealer and importer have left me high and dry - they really dont care!!!

Next car wil be a tried and tested VW Polo from 2015/16.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts