Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

The noise that is coming from the passenger side, is a huge problem for me. Is there any sollution available? Dealer says that they cant fix it, as it is connected with low temperatures and plastics (and it is true, as when the temparetures rises in the cabin after 15 minutes the noise stops).
I am very disapointed and i cant find a way to stop the noise.
Help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The solution worked instantly for me.
Since putting a few wedges in between the passenger side ' A ' pillar and the top of the dash it has not returned.
The temptation is to push the wedge in fully, but it must be a thin lip as it will drop through if pushed in too far.
A rolled up piece of black insulation tape of the correct size may be the most discreet option.
Not ideal, but I would rather that than the creaking,

On the subject of rattles, my car is booked in for a noise from the boot area.
When making the booking I mentioned the cure for the dash above, he said he drives a T Cross with a similar creak and will try it!

After a fruitless search for the source,, I read on here that it may be the door/boot lid mechanism coming loose.
I reversed off my drive with the boot open and the rattle stopped.
Will give the dealer this information and hope it helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daytel, thank you, but i am sure that the only sollution, is to demand from the dealer, to change the plastics with new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moreover, do you have any photos to show, on how you made the adjustments of the material and in which specific spots of the car?
It will help a lot, the members ( sure -and me), as it is appeared to be a frequent problem for T cross.

Daytell, you rock (in advance)!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
White Light Automotive design Automotive exterior Grey

Hope this helps.
It is a bit untidy until I get around to trimming it, or scheme something less obvious.
I agree it should be done under warranty, but in the meantime I am just so pleased that I never hear the noise anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is by design and replacing the plastics won't make any change. One thing you can do to fix it once and for all without having a mess with duct tapes etc is to remove the dashboard and place some silicone at the edges that it touches the pillar.

I drove 3 different T-Cross so far (including mine) and the noise is there in all of them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I only had the noise in the boot area, not this one on the dashboard. And i'm currently seeing low temperatures, below 0 Celsius.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is a separate thread running for 'Squeaks coming from the boot area'.
Early indications suggest that the boot lid locking mechanism needs tightening.
My car is booked in for Monday.

We also seem to be running two threads for the dashboard noise,
I'm reluctant to ask the dealer to look at it on Monday in case they disturb my wedges, and the dreaded cracking noise returns..
Pretty sure I can tidy up what you see in my photo above, and then I will be 100% happy with my car..

·
Registered
78 Posts
marius07 said:
I only had the noise in the boot area, not this one on the dashboard. And i'm currently seeing low temperatures, below 0 Celsius.
The cracking noise from the dashboard/pillar can be sound when you make some small vibrations in the car like turning after being stop at the traffic light.

Personally I don't mind at all. With some Spotify music at 10% you cannot even hear it :)

And a general rule/tip that I learned as an engineer in the automotive industry:
Always buy a car that came out 2 years ago for the first time because the car gets big improvements during these 2 years after the SOP (Start Of Production). So for minor issues prepare yourself to ignore them - the major ones (engine failures, Infotainment major bugs etc) are the important to worry about.

P.S. I liked the design of the tailgate and the smoothness of the infotainment system so much that I couldn't resist :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
SOLVED!
Returned my car to the dealer mainly due to a rattle in the boot, which is still not fully resolved. (I did ask them to check if the boot locking mechanism had come loose).

BUT they did take out my ugly packing from around the 'A' frame
They repositioned it, and added insulation.
It is now a closer fit with the Dashboard, looks perfect, and no more creaking or ticking noises.

Will a also add this to the other thread on the same subject View attachment 470 View attachment 469

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took mine to a vw dealer this week as that noise is so irritating!
They took the pillar apart put padding in and so far solved the issue.
It was a combination of loose dash and window pillar causing rubbing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine as the same problem.
The cracking noise from the pillar "A" can be sound with low temperatures and when the temparetures rises the noise stops.

I left the car in the dealer today.
They say the problem it's not new.
I think they gonna remove the pillar "A" and put some insulating tape.

Let's see...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one who has this annoying :evil: issue.....+ a solution :cool:

I've just ordered 1 mtr of 1 mm dia Black Neoprene Sponge Cord to push in the gap

I'll take a pic of the results which may/hope look acceptable.

Stay safe

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's literally a 5 minute job to remove the A pillar cover and place a bit of material tape at the bottom of it.

Then pop It back on for an invisible repair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used a very very thin blob or three of LOW modulus clear silicone LMN type. 3 quid a tube used hardly any and its works well, cant see the stuff the noise has gone. all i did was try to put just enough in to stop the surfaces from rubbing together. i had a cloth with some thinners on it to ensure i wiped away any excess i got on the dash. all seemed very easy and sensible. Use the wrong silicone though and you will regret it lol.

We have all seen the stuff that turns pink in the sun and breaks away, life lesson... Dont use that stuff for this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts