Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My other half bought her car in May last year (2020) from stock with it being officially registered in June 2020.

With less than 1000 miles on the clock she got a message to say that the Oil will be need to be changed in 18 days.

Called VW who initially booked the car in for the work.

When my other half queried why so soon they then said it was a mistake and to ignore the message.

She is now booked in for June this year.

Who is correct?

·
Registered
79 Posts
In some markets there is a service check at 1000 miles or 1500kms. It is only a check for loose components or customer concerns. It is not mandatory and perhaps that was the reason for the advice. In Australia, because I live close to the dealer, they saw me on the street and invited me over for the check service at 400km. No drama was observed, free visit.-Cheers-John.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Relative had this issue in a T-Roc (boo, hiss ;) )

Turned out that countdown started when dealer received car after import. It then sat in dealership compound for 3 months before being registered. So relative took delivery with 20miles on clock and day after registration, but vehicle was actually nearly 4 months old. So he got the reminder far too early

·
Registered
127 Posts
Johnsmith said:
Relative had this issue in a T-Roc (boo, hiss ;) )

Turned out that countdown started when dealer received car after import. It then sat in dealership compound for 3 months before being registered. So relative took delivery with 20miles on clock and day after registration, but vehicle was actually nearly 4 months old. So he got the reminder far too early
The PDI process will (OK - "should") in effect reset all of the service counters etc to Day 0 on the day on which it is carried out, so this situation shouldn't arise

It does feel as if the dealer handover process can be a bit flaky - my car was handed over to me with all 4 tyres set at 45PSI (how they leave the factory to cope with being on transporters, ships, etc) and when I queried it they said that was how it left the factory and they didn't do anything with the tyre pressures during the PDI process

·
Registered
66 Posts
In reality this is correct as oil needs to be changed after set mileage or time whichever comes sooner, so even if you keep a car parked for one year without using it, the oil still needs to be changed after the set time period. Let's imagine you do 2k miles per year, you won't be changing oil after 5 years because you haven't done the set mileage obviously.

The fact that dealers reset counters on stock cars which have been sitting in the court for months is not right and they shouldn't be doing this, you always calculate the oil change time based on the car manufacturing date, i.e. when the first oil was poured into the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts