Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I'm new to this site and to the T-Cross. I am about to change my car and the T-Cross looks ideal in terms of size etc. However, I think I am getting something wrong when I try and configure it on the VW website. I am looking at the SEL 1.5 DSG model and can't seem to add an electric drivers seat, heated windscreen or leather upholstery. I can't believe these aren't available as the Skoda Kamiq (another option) has all these items available and is a Skoda whereas the T Cross is a VW!
Welcome anyones assistance on this - what am I doing wrong on the "Build Your Own" section of the VW website?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responses. I checked with VW and Halin9 was right in that the options I wanted are not even available. I really can't understand this as not even the heated windscreen is an option - a real must have for ease and safety living in the North of England. I got the impression from the VW salesperson I spoke to that they were only too aware that VW's were being downgraded and that the pecking order is now Audi 1st, Skoda 2nd, VW 3rd with Seat as the sporty wild card! As he said - 'if you want the luxury touches you want an Audi or Skoda'
What the heck has happened to VW, they were always the quality choice with high grade cabins and soft touch materials, apparently not any more. Sad.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree, it is like some of the cars have like rain sensors but not auto lights.. why.. it is so easy to add it. The VW however is very solid and when you close a door, it sounds as it should. Not driven a Skoda or Audi but my brother is on his 3rd skoda and so many nice things in there. I suppose VW with the T Cross are maybe appealing to a market that people get the latest things but not necessarily what is wanted, and plastics etc is the compromise. It also keeps costs down I suppose to an extent.

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
377 Posts
Yes, the T Cross feels solid, all the body panels are well aligned and for me the shape and size is perfect, visually very appealing. I agree some of the plastic could be better quality, and in my opinion folding mirrors should be standard on SEL spec. I might well have gone for a heated screen if it was an option. For me, the stop/start isn't the best and I would have preferred it to restart on touching the accelerator as the slightest change in pressure on the brake sets it off again. But overall very happy with the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a wild theory as to why the T-Cross (and other VW's) is displaying severe cost-cutting measures.
Dieselgate. Had VW not had to pay out so many billions in fines and litigation, I doubt there would have been so much cost-cutting.
Smaller cars are not very profitable, so it's no surprise there's so much cost-cutting.
However, I would rather take cost-cutting on cosmetic things like the hard and "cheap" plastics, over cost-cutting when it comes to engineering. There, there should be no cost-cutting IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can see why VW might have cut costs to offset "Dieselgate" but why delete the options list - generally manufacturers make more profit on expensive option items anyway, so you would have thought they would want an extensive options list to tempt customers to trade up and buy those expensive options. Modern manufacturing systems are quite able to cope with variables, other makes in the VAG stable do so why not VW? It really doesn't make sense to me at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cornishman said:
I can see why VW might have cut costs to offset "Dieselgate" but why delete the options list - generally manufacturers make more profit on expensive option items anyway, so you would have thought they would want an extensive options list to tempt customers to trade up and buy those expensive options. Modern manufacturing systems are quite able to cope with variables, other makes in the VAG stable do so why not VW? It really doesn't make sense to me at all.
I completely agree! Flexibility in manufacture has never been easier but it is not just VW, Mercedes for example have also savaged the options list for their cars. And selling cars from stock seems to be the order of the day at the moment.

Could it be that the right hand drive or Brexit market is no longer wanted.

It is best not to look at the options list on a Kamiq if you have set your heart on a T-Cross

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Steve, I test drove the T-Cross and although it was very pleasant I just couldn't convince myself I wouldn't quickly regret buying one because of the very limited options list and, strangely, the hard plastic interior. I know the plastics look quite good for what they are but it is all so unforgiving and "Hard", my current Yeti is a 10 year old design but still has a soft plastic dashboard and trim. Move forward 10 years in design and VW revert to hard old plastics - just compare the interior to that of the Polo the T Cross is based on, the Polo is light years ahead of the T Cross in terms of quality and ambience. So why have VW downgraded the finish? The clincher was the lack of simple options like a heated windscreen let alone luxury items like memory electric drivers seat - so nice when my wife prefers a totally different driving position to me. She adjust the seat etc. to fit her perfectly, links the memory to her key fob so that whenever she unlocks the car the seat etc. quickly adjusts to her settings. I do the same with my settings and key fob so whoever drives the car gets their ideal position as soon as they unlock the car. Okay you can manually change the settings but SO much nicer to have it done automatically when you unlock the door! I also happen to like leather interiors, not available with the T-Cross.
Anyway off to try the new Peugeot 2008 which is available with the options I want, alternatively perhaps the Volvo XC40 - but that's a bit bigger car than I need or want. I can't bring myself to try an Audi Q2 - looks a nice car but my experience of Audi drivers has put me off them for good!!

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Digitalracer said:
For me, the stop/start isn't the best and I would have preferred it to restart on touching the accelerator as the slightest change in pressure on the brake sets it off again. .
I thought this at First, then realised the latest version SS restarts if the steering wheel is moved even slightly. Take your hands off the wheel and see if this helps.

Mind you, on my daughters XC60 it stops with the footbrake, but then you can let go. The engine restarts on accelerator, much better IMHO.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Tricky2 said:
Digitalracer said:
For me, the stop/start isn't the best and I would have preferred it to restart on touching the accelerator as the slightest change in pressure on the brake sets it off again. .
I thought this at First, then realised the latest version SS restarts if the steering wheel is moved even slightly. Take your hands off the wheel and see if this helps.

Mind you, on my daughters XC60 it stops with the footbrake, but then you can let go. The engine restarts on accelerator, much better IMHO.
Yes, I was aware of the moving the steering wheel trigger effect. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and find keeping constant pressure on the brake pedal uncomfortable and as you mentioned find the Volvo accelerator action system so much better when I drive my partner's XC40. My stop/start deactivation button is going to get a lot of use😂

·
Registered
78 Posts
Haven't tried it on the T-Cross yet but on my old MK7 GTI the SS restart was also using the ACC front radar to detect when the car in front was moving away, I always found that useful.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, when the car in front moves it does restart automatically. Though annoying when that car just edges forward a couple of inches..... a regular occurrence unfortunately.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.