Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to say I was not bothered that the petrol tank on the T-Cross is only approx 40 litres, whereas my Golf was 51. However, it is noticeable, as you would expect , that the tank needs filling more frequently. Not a problem, however, in the current petrol madness, and with some long journeys to do, it is a slight concern.

Would not go back to the Golf though…….

Obviously it won't last , the crisis that it, but when buying the car I did not envisage a petrol shortage &#x1f926-2640; !!

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Don't know the mpg you were getting on the golf, but the engine on the cross is very economical. Elsewhere in here I reported an early run I did very fast up the motorway for around 140 miles, and still got I think around 47mpg. So it may have a smaller tank, but doesn't need filling that often.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point Tricky2. My golf had the 1.5 tsi evo engine and fuel consumption was brilliant, 58mpg on a run and over 48 around town. It was not as nice an engine as my previous golf which had the 1.4 tsi but the petrol consumption was not as good as the 1.5. My T-Cross recently turned in 48 mpg on a 200 mile run to Cornwall, so not as good as the Evo Golf. Not sure if an automatic is usually better or worse on fuel consumption and it all depends on how it is driven of course. The 1.4 and 1.5 tsi's certainly go well.

That said, my first time owner but not driver, had auto hire cars etc, with an automatic gear box, higher driving position and very useful 1 litre engine makes the T-Cross my much preferred option. Been driving for 50 years, hanging up my girl racer hat to a more sedate mindset was long overdue!

The T-Cross has been a revelation and you don't see that many on the road. Well kept secret!

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Most conventional automatics have poorer consumption as there is a fluid torque converter between the engine and gearbox, that robs some of the power from the engine.
It's best to think if the DSG as an automated manual box. The gears are conventional, just selected by hydraulic levers, and it has conventional clutches, again just operated by hydraulic levers. So there's no slippage other than the taking up drive exactly the same as a manual.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wouldn't worry too much about the petrol tank given the good consumption figures the 1L engine gets as mileage wise you probably better off than a 50L tank with bigger engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have just driven a 400 mile round trip. I have a 69 plate T-cross 1.0L 115 HP. Genuinely, I got 61.5 miles average MPG by the time I got back. Full disclosure;- the car is manual and the trip is M27, A34, M40, A43, M1 to Nottingham. so its almost entirely dual carriageway or motorway. I set out Friday at 6:15 PM drove at 56MPH (set on ACC). I had Aircon on only as I needed it to keep the windscreen clear. chatted to my partner all the way. it took 3hrs 45 mins.

Whilst there we drove about 15 miles about the city over the weekend. could not find anywhere with fuel (not that we looked that hard)

I set off back on Sunday about 6.30 pm, no air con needed as it was not raining. set car at 56MPH and just sat there, it took about 4 hours this time.

Before I started the journey, i inflated the tyres to the max pressure on the car door, I the necked the tank. When I arrived back home I had 80 mils in the tank having drove 415 miles. I filled up again necked it & it took £45 worth at £1.419 per ltr

No lies, or exaggerations, we were both stunned. what an engine this car has.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.