Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this area has probably been covered before but whilst looking for a Spacesaver Tyre for my T Cross R Line with 18 inch Nevada wheels, the price would appear to range from around £170 to £185. However I have found a supplier who could deliver a proper wheel (NOT VW) with Hankook tyre fitted for £295 inc delivery. My question is, does this sound good value and most importantly would a full wheel/tyre fit in my boot which has a Beats Sound system fitted. Any R LINE owners out there with a Beats sound system in boot who can answer this question -- any advice appreciated - thanks.

R line DSG 115 in Makena Turquoise
Electric mirrors
Sound Beats system,
Active Info display
Rear camera

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don't know about beats, but no way will a full size tyre fit in the wheel well, it's not deep enough. You'll need the skinny tyre.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi the rear floor pan pressing is designed for the standard 16" wheel ,this is the standard spare wheel for all T-Cross regardless of the wheel size fitted. The tyre size and pressure are shown on the tire pressure chart on the B post.
Note 17" and 18" wheels will not fit in the floor pan. You can get all the parts wheel and tool kit from your dealer. I have done this after checking what wheels will fit. I believe you can still fit a spare if the beats system is not obstructing the well, there is a peace of trim to the rear of the well that is removable for accessing the wheel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks LesB -- so are you now saying that an 18 inch spacesaver WILL fit in well? My dealer could not supply same. Have seen 18 inch space savers forR line on Ebay but they vary quite a bit on price so I wonder if they they would be the same quality as one you bought. Has anyone Anyone got a good contact for this specific piece of equipment?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update NO you can only use the 16" steel wheel with a 205-55-16 tyre the wheel is VAG 2Q0601027AE03C Cost about £60

The 17" and 18" will NOT fit in the wheel well

Hope this helps

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just to confirm, the 17" full size wheel WILL FIT the boot well, I have a T-Cross OEM 17" alloy wheel in my boot so I speak from experience. 18" will only fit if it's a space saver with 125/70 R18 tyre, you can see a few photos on how it fits in this tread https://www.tcrossforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=532&start=10#p3591. A full size 18" will not fit because it's diameter exceeds the boot well diameter, 17" is max that would fit as full size wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi both my wife and myself own a T cross.
She has the SEL and the dealer fitted a full size 16 inch spare with foam insert for the jack and other bits.
If you quote your chassis number to VW customer services they will point you to your local parts dept who should be able to order this.
I could not get any info out of customer services about availability of a space saver other than through factory order on a new car.
I h just bought a pre reg Se so I decided to buy a 17inch from the tyremen in Hull. It is an alloy space saver and comes with a nicely packaged jack, a chrome steel wheel brace
an a bag for the wheel you have removed.
I agree a 17inch full size will fit, however you need to source an alloy wheel with a profile to match the car wheels and fit it with a tyre that matches the profile of those on the
car and is ideally the same make, plus a jack and wheel brace. That is the only real way to leave the spare on for long periods such as when away in the back of beyond.
The problem with the VW 16 inch spare when fitted to the front, is that it has a different rolling radius. This means that the diff drives constantly and that does not do the car any good.
It is the diffent rolling radius that forces the 16inch full size to be classified as temporary and which invokes the speed restrictions.
Space savers should really only be fitted to the non driven wheels so a front puncture means putting the space saver on the back and the full sized back wheel on the front.
On cars with 18 inch rims you only have a space saver option.
I had to source my own full size spare and matching tyre for a Skoda SEL I owned a few years ago so I was never stuck anywhere.
Hope this helps

Regards Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts