Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a T Cross first edition

I have had the problem of the screen and side windows misting up since new.

The climatronic system is set on auto and for instance today i have travelled 80 miles and the screen and side windows have misted up three times, to clear the condensation (i have left the system on auto and generally does not clear) i have to override the auto system and switch over to demist.

The system does not always mist up and sometimes i do a hundred miles or more and it does not mist up.

I have had 2 Golf GTD in the past with the climatronic system fitted and i never had any of these issues .

The vehicle has been into the local VW dealer who kept it for two days and they found no issues.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Not a First edition but an Rline but again no misting up. Agree what's said about having AC on, it doesn't just chill it dehumidifiers, also check you haven't got the outside air flap closed.

Otherwise check floors and boot for water, some on here have had leaks and the water inside would cause the misting.

·
Registered
VW T-cross SEL 115 DSG 2019 Energetic Orange
380 Posts
Yes, definitely check it is not set to recirculating, that was the issue for my mother.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you lifted the carpets and felt for damp underlay.
I know on a lot of cars the drain from the air-con runs inside the cabin and the pipe could be leaking or the pipe has disconnected and the condensate is just going straight into the cabin and causing the windows to mist up.
Can I suggest taking it back and getting VW to sort it out, that's what warranties are for !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this issue and have been back to the dealer twice before it was resolved...AC on or not! The fault lies with the valve/flap that alternates on demand between fresh air and recycled air. In my case the first time it got checked there was a piece of wiring from the loom blocking it open or shut (I can't remember which) so they removed it all, moved the wires and put it back together again. When this didn't cure it they replaced/renewed the whole mechanism for the flap and that did the trick...no issues since. See you dealer because mine was aware of this as an 'issue'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T cross first edition
I have an additional problem with the climatronic system .
The system is set to auto with the a/c system on and there is a loud clicking noise (3 clicks as if a servo has reached its limits and is trying to move further but it cannot) from the passenger area.
It has started since we have had the hot weather and i have not had the sound in the winter even with the system set to auto with the a/c on.the noise does not occur on first starting on the drive but after a journey long or short i leave the car and when i return and i am reversing out of the parking bay there are these 3 clicks. i have had the noise once when driving but it normally occurs on first start up. apart from the minor niggles from the climatronic system i am pleased with the car having covered over 10,000 miles so far

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
It is possible this is the recirculation flap, certainly climate on the Tig closes the flap when reversing to avoid fumes entering the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In general the isolation in the T-Cross is quite bad so don't expect much :) For sure tho if the screen is misting up quite a lot, try visiting the workshop to have a look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on screen misting up and loud clicking noise on climatronic system.
Car went into my local dealer last week , printed off and left copies of pages from the forum on the front seat with suggestions it may be the recirculation flap.
I later had a call from the dealer to say that they had run son tests and it was the recirculation flap motor which they would put on order and if they kept the car overnight they would fit the next day which they did.
I have had the car back for nearly a week now and the loud clicking noise has gone , so i am now waiting for the cold weather to come and hopefully the misting up of the screen will be cured as well i will update. I have had good service from the dealership (Parkway VW Northampton ) who collected and delivered the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone experienced problems with the front assist system i have had 4 alarms with this as follows
1) driving out of a car park at approx 3 -4 mph the car just stopped and the warning sign came on no prior other warnings ie acoustic or lights
2) driving out of local town approx 30 mph the warning light came on but no braking , i put that down to i was passing a crossing in the middle of the road.
3) driving in a traffic jam and the car in front moved forward approx 3 car lengths and as i started to move forward the car braked automatically with no warning, at first i thought the car behind me had hit me ( i am surprised he did not as i stopped so quickly luckily he had left a good gap behind me.
4) the latest occurrence was last week . i was driving on a b road at approx 40 mph with no vehicles in sight either in front or behind and with wide clear grass verges either side when the system braked with a short sharp jolt and the advance warning light came on , there was no prior warning acoustic or lights on dash.to say this was alarming is putting it mildly, luckily there was no other vehicles behind me otherwise there may have been a collision. the car has now covered 14,000 miles .

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Not sure you'll get much response tacking this onto a screen misting thread. Better to start a new topic.

G

·
I had an issue this past weekend and wanted to check if this could be related to the valve/flap issue.
I have not had any similar issues prior to the weekend and have not had an opportunity to use the car since

Was driving on Sunday in a very heavy rain storm for about 45 mins, wipers were at full speed so it was very heavy.
Lots of spray hitting the car when lorries where speeding past.
Arrived at my destination which was a multi story car park, as soon as parked which required reversing and moving slowly forward the side front windows windows and windscreen steamed up despite having the climate control on with air flowing to the windscreen but no air con.

Returned to the car after 15 mins for return journey and the windows had cleared.
Drove for another 45 mins with climate control on, air to the windscreen and no air con, all good.
Was still raining but was no longer heavy downpours.
Had hit a few unavoidable big puddles on the return trip.

Stopped for petrol and when I returned after paying the windows were slightly steamed up.
Started the car and turned on the fan to clear.
The windows steamed up more, moved the car away from the pump but windows were so steamed up had to park and wait.
Put the blower on full but the windows would not clear.
Selected the MAX defrost function on the climate control and this started to clear the windscreen.

As soon as it was safe to do so and windows were clear continued the journey.
As soon as I lowered the fan speed and turned off the air con the windows started to steam up again.
I found the air con had to be on to keep the screen clear.

Once home the windows the windows steamed up when I parked after switching the air con off.
After about 30 mins the windows cleared with the car stationary and the engine off.
I checked the boot and all carpets, no evidence of any water inside the car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've also found my T-Cross to be very susceptible to misting up on the windscreen and front side windows, even when there seems to be relatively little ambient dampness or humidity. As the previous poster has said, this sometimes happen whilst in motion as well as whilst parked up and the only effective way to overcome it is to switch the A/C on and leave it on (I don't have climate control, just basic A/C)

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
andrewjk59 said:
I had an issue this past weekend and wanted to check if this could be related to the valve/flap issue.
I have not had any similar issues prior to the weekend and have not had an opportunity to use the car since

Was driving on Sunday in a very heavy rain storm for about 45 mins, wipers were at full speed so it was very heavy.
Lots of spray hitting the car when lorries where speeding past.
Arrived at my destination which was a multi story car park, as soon as parked which required reversing and moving slowly forward the side front windows windows and windscreen steamed up despite having the climate control on with air flowing to the windscreen but no air con.

Returned to the car after 15 mins for return journey and the windows had cleared.
Drove for another 45 mins with climate control on, air to the windscreen and no air con, all good.
Was still raining but was no longer heavy downpours.
Had hit a few unavoidable big puddles on the return trip.

Stopped for petrol and when I returned after paying the windows were slightly steamed up.
Started the car and turned on the fan to clear.
The windows steamed up more, moved the car away from the pump but windows were so steamed up had to park and wait.
Put the blower on full but the windows would not clear.
Selected the MAX defrost function on the climate control and this started to clear the windscreen.

As soon as it was safe to do so and windows were clear continued the journey.
As soon as I lowered the fan speed and turned off the air con the windows started to steam up again.
I found the air con had to be on to keep the screen clear.

Once home the windows the windows steamed up when I parked after switching the air con off.
After about 30 mins the windows cleared with the car stationary and the engine off.
I checked the boot and all carpets, no evidence of any water inside the car.
Why insist on not having aircon on? That's what it's there for to get rid of misting. You don't need running water in the car to cause misting, a damp day will do. Those if us that had cars decades ago pre aircon know this.

G

·
I have never required air con in the past to clear the mist and I have had cars pre air con.
I have also had the car almost a year and this is the the first time I needed the air con on.
With the heater blower on full my expectation was the windscreen would clear not totally mist up and get worse.

I did experience a similar issues many years back with an old golf and that was because water was getting into the front passenger side and making the carpet wet. Once the leak was fixed the issue went away hence checking for leaks especially as others on the forum have reported water in their cars.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Have you got the recirculating button set?

There are i think a couple of threads in here about water ingress, through the boot i think. We've had ours around 18 months and never had a problem, but then I do use the AC quite often.

G

·
Recirculating was switched off and prior to stopping for refuel all was fine, had been on the M25 for 45 mins in wet conditions.
After restarting the car and pulling away after the refuel everything misted up, so much so it was not safe to leave the petrol station.
So wondering if this could have been the valve/flap issue mentioned above in an earlier posting.
I have the car booked in with VW next month and if I experience again will get them to check the car.
If they find an issue I will update this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.