Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In slow moving traffic up a incline, making turns or going round islands ,I have been told to drive in 1st gear so the stop/start does not cut in. Is this normal all my other cars have done this in 2nd gear without any problem.

T-CROSS 115 SE

·
Registered
206 Posts
Absolutely not, there is a fault with the stop/start system they need to rectify. Don't blame the driver or expect them to modify their driving style to compensate for it.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
In those circumstances, I'd simply press the SS disable button. I've personally never had SS cut the engine while still moving. There's a noticeably fractional delay on stopping before the engine cuts out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well it certainly happens with cars with a manual gearbox. If you're stuck across a junction because your car has just cut out it's too late to be faffing about pressing buttons or trying to get the engine to restart.

VW need to have a stop start system without faults, others can manage it, after all their fuel consumption figures are based on it as part of the engine management.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Absolutely, in a manual you have to be out of gear and clutch up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having this issue as well. Previously had a Ford Focus with 999cc engine and stop/start and never had it occur before. When it happens I'm normally doing about 10mph having changed down from 3rd to 2nd to turn a corner. To my mind start/stop should never cut in whilst the speedo is registering 1mph or greater so is definitely a fault.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
marius07 said:
SS doesn't cut in when the car is in gear...I don't see any issues here
The issue is the SS cuts in when in gear and moving slowly, somebody with the same issues is going to get banged in the rear. This raises the question of whose fault is it , the driver or VW for manufacturing a car with the problems.
The T-CROSS costs over £20,000 and is the worst car I have ever had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have experienced this too, on about 4 occasions in the two weeks we have owned it. It has happened whilst turning a corner/roundabout in 2nd gear, not pulling away from standstill which I would always do in first, but approaching a junction, preparing to change down to first if required so possibly depressing the clutch, but then continuing to pull away in 2nd gear as the car is still moving. I assumed I had stalled it. But it restarted by depressing the clutch. Really dangerous when pulling out with someone behind me! Has happened whilst my husband was driving too. Didn't think it could be SS as the car hadn't stopped. Will experiment with SS off, and also with it on but depressing the clutch at slow speed then continuing in 2nd. If this is a software fault VW must be aware of it?? If so, what happens if someone rear ends me??! Whose fault is that?

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might have actually stalled it. I managed to stall it once or twice and when I pressed the clutch, the engine restarted, but it was my fault, not the SS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my opinion this car is dangerous, you must reject it within 30 days to get a full refund,after that you can still reject it but you have a battle on to prove it is a fault of the car. I have just got my full refund.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In my opinion there is no issue. I have never stalled. You have to be prepared to use 1st gear in some occasions. That's why there is in the stick. T cross is not 3 litres car to start in 2nd gear in low revs

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
In my opinion having not experienced what you have I'm not able to give an opinion. What I will say is I briefly test drove a manual and had no problems. Early on with the previous Polo, a manual, I stalled it once or twice, and the SS logic is programmed to restart it when you push the clutch down, so had this. With the polo I had to take it out of gear and take my foot off the clutch for SS to engage. (The electronic modules are common across all models from VW, the coding is the same be it, polo, golf, t-Cross or Tiguan etc)

·
Registered
9 Posts
D J DAVE said:
In my opinion this car is dangerous, you must reject it within 30 days to get a full refund,after that you can still reject it but you have a battle on to prove it is a fault of the car. I have just got my full refund.
What did you return it for? This same issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
CPPGR said:
In my opinion there is no issue. I have never stalled. You have to be prepared to use 1st gear in some occasions. That's why there is in the stick. T cross is not 3 litres car to start in 2nd gear in low revs
I would always pull away from stationary in 1st gear, but this happens when accelerating after slowing down to approach a junction but not stopping. I shouldn't have to change down into first while the car is moving. But if I stay in 2nd gear then accelerate (not from stationary) that is when the car has cut out. As I said, it COULD be that we are just getting used to the car as the engine is much quieter than my previous Juke, so we may have both stalled it. But it took us both by surprise and we are experienced drivers (30 years of driving). We are taking it on a road trip this week (third week of ownership) so will monitor if it happens again. I assumed it was a stall until I real other people's experiences.........

·
Registered
206 Posts
Based on my experience in my car with a 6 speed manual gearbox, other posts on this and the German forum there is an issue with the stop start system it's not a stall and it doesn't happen when the stop start system is switched off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jode said:
D J DAVE said:
What did you return it for? This same issue?
Yes, we thought it was dangerous

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.