Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a T Cross R line on 215/45/R18 wheels.
It came with a factory fitted spare wheel 205/55/R16.

I have on order an R Line VW Tiago (coupe version of the T Cross).
Built on the same platform, and I have added the same size 215/45/R18 wheels.

Part of the deal was that I could retain my existing spare, and the dealer has the tyre repair kit from the new car subject to compatibility. As the dealer had not received a demonstrator yet confirmation was not readily available.

I emailed VW customer services out of curiosity, but wished I hadn’t bothered.
They replied “Unfortunately we cannot comment on whether your T Cross space saver spare wheel (205/55/R16) is compatible with a Taigo that has 18" wheels.”……..
Not happy with this reply it got escalated to a Customer relations manager.
I asked why not? but got an equally vague reply so E mailed a director who passed it onto the Executive offIce.
They replied “The T-Cross and Taigo are both allowed to have a 205/60/R16 or a 205/55/R17 tyre. However they cannot have an 205/55/R16 tyre”.
Mmmm, so they supplied me with a spare that they will no longer allow on what is essentially an identical vehicle other than having a sloping roofline, and no one will tell me why not.

Whilst the 205/60/R16 is a nearer match, the 205/55/R16 still seems within the tolerance of 2.5 - 3%.
Do I add a spare to the factory order, or chance that the 205/55/R16 will suffice?

Product Rectangle Font Line Material property

Reactions: enderson141878

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sadly this gives very little faith in VW..!... How can they say that a tyre, supplied as a factory spare, is unsuitable for the car. I would certainly go back and challenge their reply and threaten to charge them with selling unsuitable spare tyres to customers. See what they say to that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I hope VW are wrong..just checked, mine came with factory spare of 205/55/R16 and fitted with 18” wheels, all from new...from their statement above , they have mis sold me the wrong spare.!.. I wonder if their statement refers to standard road wheels as opposed to “spare” wheel...? Hope you find out and let us know.!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dealers are usually useless for this kind of information. Taigo has the same wheel spec as the T-Cross so your spare should fit.

Center Bore: 57.1mm
PCD: 5x100
Bolt Thread: M14 x 1.5

Reactions: AussieJohn

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is strange, the last email from the first Customer relations manager ended with the words like “we are now closing this discussion as we are unable to supply any additional information”.
The last one from the Executive office did say “please contact me should you require any additional assistance”, however, it was missing the case reference details in the subject line. I did reply, got the automatic reply with a new reference but no further reply.
I tried again, this time entering the origanal reference, and wrote:
“I don’t appear to have received a reply to my email, your confirmation of receipt VW2793910X).

It’s worrying, it seems to say below that you have supplied me with a spare wheel that you are now saying should NOT be used with my car.
Could you please clarify this safety issue please”

I am now waiting for a response……

Reactions: Halin9

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think GeoBog above is spot on,
Here is the reply from VW Executive office received today
“Just to clarity your current vehicle is a 2019 VW T Cross R Line with the same size 215/45/R18 wheels and it came with a factory fitted spare wheel size 205/55/R16.
The spare wheel on your current vehicle 205/55/R16 does not fit the Tiago but is safe to use on your current vehicle, T.Cross R Line”
I have replied, but will also follow up quoting Geobobs info
“I promise to not bother you again if you could please give me one last piece of information,which is all I wanted all along, namely, in what way will it not fit as the width should make little difference for emergency use, and the rolling diameter is within 3%”..

i will see what comes back…..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i had re sent and added

“Additional information suggest both wheels have the same characteristics“

Center Bore: 57.1mm
PCD: 5x100
Bolt Thread: M14 x 1.5

Thanks to GeoBog

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VW still say the spare wheel 205/55/R16 will fit the T Cross RLine and is safe, but WILL NOT FIT the Taigo.
I have not had a reply to my last E Mail asking why not.

I emailed my dealer without disclosing I was trying to get this resolved with Customer services, and said that in the unlikely event they don’t think it is comparable then I would need to know why…..
I was invited in to speak to their Technician, and take the opportunity to view the car in the showroom which wasn’t available when I placed the order.
Looking at the plate on the drivers door pillar it shows 205/55/R17, yes R17.
My worry was that if I used my T cross spare R16 against their advice, and it caused damage, then I may have contravened the warranty,
He went off to fetch the Technician, but came back with the message from his manager that THEY WILL ADD A SPARE WHEEL TO MY ORDER AT NO COST TO ME AS A GOOD WILL GESTURE.
Obviously very pleased with my dealer, (who also allowed me to change the colour and add another option today), but remain curious about the lack of a definite answer

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Part of the deal was that I could retain my existing spare, and the dealer has the tyre repair kit from the new car subject to compatibility. As the dealer had not received a demonstrator yet confirmation was not readily available.

They replied “Unfortunately we cannot comment on whether your T Cross space saver spare wheel (205/55/R16) is compatible with a Taigo that has 18" wheels.”……..
I asked why not? but got an equally vague reply so E mailed a director who passed it onto the Executive offIce.
They replied “The T-Cross and Taigo are both allowed to have a 205/60/R16 or a 205/55/R17 tyre. However they cannot have an 205/55/R16 tyre”.
Mmmm, so they supplied me with a spare that they will no longer allow on what is essentially an identical vehicle other than having a sloping roofline, and no one will tell me why not.

Whilst the 205/60/R16 is a nearer match, the 205/55/R16 still seems within the tolerance of 2.5 - 3%.
Do I add a spare to the factory order, or chance that the 205/55/R16 will suffice?

View attachment 880
SOLVED
I collected my new Taigo, and the spare is a skinny T125 x 70 x R18.
It sits face downwards, so no access to the valve without lifting it out.
It allows you to store a few small bits (or a base speaker) in the centre, the tool kit is spread around the outside.
It sits flush with the floor, so anything larger would prevent the movable floor from sitting flat.
I suppose it makes sense given the roof line is lower, and the need to gain a bit more boot space.
VW Customer Service also said they didn’t think that the Taigo had Rear Cross Traffic alert with auto braking but I’m pleased to say it does.
Off now, as I feel a bit of an interloper, but will keep viewing to see the pearls of wisdom from Tricky2.

Reactions: Digitalracer
1 - 11 of 11 Posts