Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed a few times previously on the forum however I just wanted to ask - those that have fitted the spare wheel with a 205 60 16 - does it fit in the spare wheel well with no drama? I know the VW size is 205 55 16 but it's almost a 4% difference in size where as the 60 profile tyre is much closer to the original 18's on my car and if it fitted in the well properly would be my preferred option.

Incidentally found this on Ebay and have purchased it as it seems good value for genuine parts - I can get a new tyre fitted for £50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-new-SEAT-Arona-spare-wheel-kit-without-tyre-including-tools-emergency/264646982648?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Barry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doh already ordered! Not bad value to be fair £120 for the kit and £52 for a Hankook OEM spec tyre. Certainly more competitive than local VW dealer who wanted £237 for the kit with a random budget tyre.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ok, I may be totally thick, but not had to think about it before - if the space saver is the same size on two different cars - so say a 17" on T Cross and 17" on Ford, can the same space saver be used.. so I could use this on a different car and not sell? Ah... just thinking, presume the locking wheel nuts would be different...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most of the times that won't work, it depends on the center bore size and the wheel PCD and ET. VW has 57.1 mm bore and 5x100 PCD, not sure about Fords but I think they go with 5x108 mm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you. when I mentioned the locking wheel nuts, I was wondering too if they would maybe not align.

I was thinking of a win win, but I will just try to sell t his space saver :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I still have the space saver and kit, selling now for £110

As a few new owners on here, thought I would mention it again,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Size that would be supplied if you ordered it from VW would be 205 55 16 even on R-Line. That's why the size is detailed on the tyre pressure label.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's still technically classed as a temporary spare wheel and has a label on the wheel advising of such, due to the fact you will still have a different size wheel and tyre on the same axle when you use it. But at least it's a regular tyre with proper tread etc even temporarily driving at up to 50mph I'd feel much safer than using one of these skinny jobs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ok i've now bought a toolkit complete with foam holder from a new Polo so just need a wheel and tyre for the spare.

I've been looking for a 205/55/16 tyre on a steel rim but there are a few different offsets - anyone know which i should go for ET42, ET38, etc?

·
Registered
424 Posts
robby71 said:
ok i've now bought a toolkit complete with foam holder from a new Polo so just need a wheel and tyre for the spare.

I've been looking for a 205/55/16 tyre on a steel rim but there are a few different offsets - anyone know which i should go for ET42, ET38, etc?
There have been loads of previous discussions on this....just search " spare wheel " I'm sure you will find the info there..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.