Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking on line there appears to be several ways to get speed camera warnings onto the inbuilt sat nav. Some require the use of a VW Germany conversion tool which looks to have disappeared. And some require some manipulation of the raw data, down loading of images and the use of Car Net.

Got it working on mine tonight using the website below. It will cost you 9 euro a year for monthly updates. Updating just requires an SD card. Now on the approach to a speed camera my nav will reduce the radio audio and 'bong' to indicate a speed camera. This works regardless of having a route planned and you don't need to be on the map screen. If you are on the map screen then a speed camera icon is also visible.

Here is the site: https://www.scdb.info/en/installation-vw/

Just follow the instructions. Takes minutes! For the unit on the SEL you need to select the SD-Karte 2 option. And then load the SD card into SD Slot 2 in the glove box.

Some screen shots from my unit.

Main map view - note the speed cameras showing
Map Automotive navigation system Gps navigation device Gadget Font

Announcement settings - Note POIs needs to be ticked for the bong to sound
Rectangle Font Display device Technology Multimedia

Map settings - you need to go in here and select the speed cameras
Rectangle Font Technology Gadget Screenshot

Here's what they look like selected
Gadget Font Screenshot Electronic device Display device

If anyone gets stuck just post below. Happy to help if I can.... but this really does seem to be the easiest way to get them on. There are possibly more current databases, for example Pocket GPS World that is updated weekly, but this is double the price and requires some faffing to get it to work. So much so that on the Yeti I did it once and then didn't bother updating it.

This method seems to offer a good balance of coverage, ease of use and peace of mind!

Thanks

Simon

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
That sounds very good indeed.. However, reading the instructions, I worry that I would wipe out my whole sat Nav system..!.. I am not very "tech savvy" ! Maybe best to get my son to look at it.! Can you use a usb stick or does it have to be a sd card..? What size sd card.?
This was built into a Nissan sat Nav I had and was very useful...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Halin9 said:
That sounds very good indeed.. However, reading the instructions, I worry that I would wipe out my whole sat Nav system..!.. I am not very "tech savvy" ! Maybe best to get my son to look at it.! Can you use a usb stick or does it have to be a sd card..? What size sd card.?
This was built into a Nissan sat Nav I had and was very useful...
If in doubt get a small child to help :)

As long as you use a separate SD card... i.e. not the one in Slot 1 that contains the map data, you should be fine.

The files are really small... 35mb. So pretty much any size card will work. I had a 32GB lying around and that worked fine.

I did try it via USB and it didn't work. So assume that it is SD card only and in Slot 2

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is another way to get a very comprehensive set of speed camera warnings without playing with the satnav.

Pocketgpsworld .com have an app "Camera alert" that you load onto your smartphone which costs £19.99 a year. It's updated weekly so very current. All you have to do is activate the app on your phone each time you want to be warned and the warnings can be bluetoothed to your radio irrespective of whether the satnav is in use or not.
Have used it for years, it works very well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perusal said:
There is another way to get a very comprehensive set of speed camera warnings without playing with the satnav.
Yes. I've used that in the past. Tom Tom also offer a free app. Beuty of the sat nav option, for me, is that I don't need to run apps on mine and the wife's phone.

And its effectively always on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Halin9 said:
Hi Simon....trying to do this...!..which is the t-cross navigation software..?....VW Discover PRO 2017 or Dicover Media..?
Thanks..
I think its the pro. SD Karte 2 worked for me on a SEL.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well, if I can do it, anybody can..!...😉...sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is..!
Not too sure how reliable it is though.. On a short test past my local camera area, two on each side of the road within a couple hundred metres, it showed all the cameras and which side of the road they are on..so far so good, however, it showed one camera on the wrong side.! Also, the warning " beep" is a very strange, quiet, sound and it didn't sound at all for one of the cameras..!.....so reasonably good visuals, but not sure about the audible warning.
Did you have this problem Simon..?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Halin9 said:
Well, if I can do it, anybody can..!...😉...sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is..!
Not too sure how reliable it is though.. On a short test past my local camera area, two on each side of the road within a couple hundred metres, it showed all the cameras and which side of the road they are on..so far so good, however, it showed one camera on the wrong side.! Also, the warning " beep" is a very strange, quiet, sound and it didn't sound at all for one of the cameras..!.....so reasonably good visuals, but not sure about the audible warning.
Did you have this problem Simon..?
Glad you got it working. Mines sounds OK.. but i did change some setting (cant remember where) to make the nav announcements louder. I've seen a couple of new cameras that it has hasn't got. But for the cost and ease of use it will do me. At least until getting the GPS world database on there is not so much of a faff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.