Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner

Steering weight issue

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  DrewK 
#1 ·
Hello - I have just picked up a 6 month old ex demo T-cross and for the most part, really happy with the car.

However, I have noticed something off with the steering. It somehow feels looser when steering to the left, and much weightier when steering right.

I did have to get the garage to replace the front driver wheel as there was a scrape on the alloy - it had clearly been kerbed.

Should that have been able to impact the steering in this way, or is this a natural characteristic of the car? It doesn't pull left or right and the Lane assist still works fine.

Any thoughts suggestions would be helpful before I take it back to be checked.

#2 ·
My first thought was lane assist as this can feel like it's pulling to one side. But no, with it turned off the steering feels fine, light and evenly balanced. How does yours feel if you turn off lane assist?

I should add VW power steering has the ability to counter bias, such that on a continuous bend it doesn't feel like you're having to hold the wheel against the bend, it just feels as light as straight ahead.

The scrape on the alloy could be a sign of being kerbed hard and maybe the alignment is now out.

#3 ·
Thanks!

So I went for a drive today and turned off the Lane assist but still felt the same. Not balanced in terms of feel. And feels like there is more slack turning left. I have driven my brothers Tiguan with the same tech and never felt this difference before.

Your point on counter balance is interesting- it could be that this is working turning left but not turning right - it's definitely got more resistance around a right turn.

Re kerbing, would that still knock things out with the electronics in the steering?

I have it booked in to be looked at, though a little concerned it is just how it will be now.

#4 ·
DrewK said:
Thanks!

So I went for a drive today and turned off the Lane assist but still felt the same. Not balanced in terms of feel. And feels like there is more slack turning left. I have driven my brothers Tiguan with the same tech and never felt this difference before.

Your point on counter balance is interesting- it could be that this is working turning left but not turning right - it's definitely got more resistance around a right turn.

Re kerbing, would that still knock things out with the electronics in the steering?

I have it booked in to be looked at, though a little concerned it is just how it will be now.
I would think so, yes, if the suspension components are missaligned the steering won't be able to correct it as it's a mechanical problem.

#5 ·
DrewK said:
Thanks!

My Mum kerbed her Fiesta a year or two back and the steering wasn't right after - she felt it was pulling in one direction even on the straight. After lots of checks including chassis alginment tests, the cause was found to be one of the sensors on one of the wheels which had been knocked out of alignment due to the minor impact. If memory serves it was one of the ABS sensors which basically wasn't measuring the rotation of the wheel accurately and as a result was, in effect, "braking" that wheel as it though it was slipping. Would definitely be worth getting the garage to check all the monitoring sensors are aligned correctly.

#8 ·
Well... I was given the run around a bit.

The dealership I had bought the car from couldn't supply a curtesy car soon enough so advised I could go to a closer dealer. So booked in with one I could cycle back and forward from. However, they refused to look at it as a warranty item without me paying £350.

I have a booking with the original dealer but that isn't until the 19th April, which is outside of my 30 day return period. I am unlikely to do a return, but if there IS a big steering issue I would rather be able to do so.

Wondering if it is worth booking for a free check at a Kwik Fit. Just concerned they may not be as experienced on this car.

#11 ·
Halin9 said:
Why does a VW dealer want £350 up front.? ..Any Dealership should be able to do Warranty work free of charge..
Their issue was it was not a manufacturing warrantee issue as such, it was from the sale of the car which was at a different franchise. I had made this clear before booking, however when it came to it, the service manager kept saying he wouldn't do anything without knowing who would pay.

I am now trying to get into an independent VW garage next week to at least get an experienced view on it sooner rather than later. From what I can see, it may be one of the tie rods and/or tracking. I just want to know that is all, and not something like damaged suspension.

Overall, feels shoddy of the dealer to have not checked this given I had a) asked about it when noticing the alloy damage, and b) its a pretty obvious thing to check after reconditioning a wheel.

Still a lovely car though! Am hoping this is a minor bump in the road for ownership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.