Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new T-CROSS SEL DSG, and am finding that the stop start system on the automatic can be quite dangerous in certain situations. I know it can be turned off each time the car is used, does anybody know a way to permanently disable it without resorting to recoding?

·
Registered
412 Posts
There is also a non invasive coding change possible through ODBeleven and Carista device,. Where you reprogram the deactivation voltage. I'm a user of ODBeleven, but Carissa is the cheapest, you apparently sign up for subscription and get full functionality but cancel in the First month.

The device is only plugged in during changes, and changes are not reverted on cancellation of subscription.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies, the electronic memory device looks very interesting, but you all know that taking plastic trim apart is fraught with problems, it always breaks and never goes back the same, particularly when you've not done it before. There seems to be a device which you plug into the bus system which changes the coding for that system part only, from a company called OBDGenie. There is also a reverse procedure. Anyone used this company / device?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Taking the trim off is so easy! Why should you break it or not be able to get it back into position? You must be very heavy handed to break trims. I had never taken that trim off before and it was very easy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
gmusto said:
I have a new T-CROSS SEL DSG, and am finding that the stop start system on the automatic can be quite dangerous in certain situations. I know it can be turned off each time the car is used, does anybody know a way to permanently disable it without resorting to recoding?
Dangerous how?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stop start system is ok at traffic lights and maybe junctions but i have some roundabouts near me which are fast and have two lanes of traffic on them. if you wait for a small gap to pull out into, by the time you have taken your foot off the brake and the engine starts up and then you move the time lag puts you into the path of the traffic. Yes the roundabouts should slow traffic to a safe speed, sadly not on the A10 it seems.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If it's just a couple of roundabouts that cause you grief, just switch it off when approaching them. Probably a lot less work than the workaround alternatives.

I'm a fan of start stop, but I find there are times when you need to keep the engine running so manually override.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Reaching across to the other side of the car to switch it off isn't a brilliant idea as it takes your attention away from the point where you should be concentrating due to the surrounding and approaching traffic.
Invention of the devil I say! ( Followed very closely by that lane assist idea )

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am really pleased with the fuel economy, and that is with always turning the start/stop OFF.
Given the amount of fuel I would save it isn't worth me using it, I can understand the reluctance to use it on entering a busy roundabout. I am seldom in stop start traffic, so I am not being too environmentally unfriendly.
I sometimes forget, and with practice can easily reach down and locate the switch without taking my eyes off the road when safe to do so.

·
Registered
412 Posts
oldiebut goodie said:
Reaching across to the other side of the car to switch it off isn't a brilliant idea as it takes your attention away from the point where you should be concentrating due to the surrounding and approaching traffic.
Invention of the devil I say! ( Followed very closely by that lane assist idea )
Hardly the other side of the car :D

I'm with you however on lane assist, the odd time when it tries to counter you following the correct path or moving round an obstacle. I have taught misses how to switch the disable by feel (right hand steering switches, right one, down one, press middle.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just twist the steering wheel a fraction when you stop and the engine re starts. I do this at busy junctions so I'm ready to go for that tight gap. ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Tried this yesterday after reading here, and now I know why my SS often restarted early :) This is new compared to the Tig which doesn't do this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tricky you sure my Tig is a 66 plate and does this ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, mines facelift mk1, I'm guessing yours is mk2 and it was added in. Steering hard as hell till I take my foot off brake, engine starts and wheel moves.

·
Registered
412 Posts
So, oldie but goody, just wiggle the steering a fraction, barely move it,, as you come to a stop, and it'll not stop, or restart straight away.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am keeping mine switched off! Hadn't noticed that the T6 reacted to steering wheel movement and I had the stop start running on that for longer. Nothing can persuade me to reinstate it on either vehicle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts