Volkswagen T-Cross Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have an Italy trip planned and will be renting a T Cross (likely) with the 3 cylinder 1.0L engine to drive across the country. Would anyone know how well it would hold up on the autostrada for several hours at 130kph (81mph)? Road and engine noise, stability, overall comfort etc. I have a 2.0L engine and I feel a little iffy going half the displacement! Other option is the SWB Tiguan (or a compact wagon) with the 1.5L TSI but I feel like that might be a bit big for Italy. Thank you!

·
Registered
413 Posts
My regular ride too is 2 litre, however i've been amazed at the performance and economy of the misses 1.0 cross. Did a trip, wales to berkshire, very similar speeds to what you expect, and it kept up with the traffic, was comfortable and relaxed. I would suggest going for the automatic, it makes it so much easier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go for the SEI model and you'll be fine. I traded down from a 2ktr Tiguan and fünf the r-cross just brilliant. Comfortable and amazingly powerful. I just completed a 1,000km trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Last summer our family of 4 drove from Perth, Western Australia, to Hyden (4.5 hours), than to Albany (4.5 hours), then back to Perth (6 hours) in our 3 cylinder T-Cross. This was on Outback Australian roads (sealed, thank the maker!) in 40 degree heat. So we had the air con working full time and a boot full of suitcases and camping gear and our little T Cross didn't miss a beat. It was a steady, stable and comfortable drive at highway (110kmh) speeds with plenty left in the engine for those bursts of speed to over take the road trains you find out there (think 50 metre long triple semi-trailer trucks) safely and comfortably.

You will have zero issues in one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No problem... I've bought my TCross 1,0 TSI DSG in Milan and after 2000km I drove for 750km at top speed limit 130km/h to be in my city Foggia (near Gargano mountain) across all Italy. no problem. I've been a SAAB user for over 30 years and therefore used at very powerful cars...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm a bit late to the subject having just returned from a 1,000 km trip in Queensland Australia. We usually travelled in the 100-110km range often on undulating and frost heaved roads and the car performed effortlessly with plenty in reserve. On one occasion I travelled on a country back road with a wide and flat surface for 40km at mostly 120-140K and the experience was excellent. The car seemed to relish the hit out and was athletic in handling sweeping bends and plenty of grunt in the top end of the speedo. BTW fuel consumption for a mix of urban motoring (800km) and highway running (1,000km) was 6 litres per 100km or 42 mpg (imperial gallon) Cheers-John.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts